Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warped front bumper?

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone has experienced a warped front bumper, and if there is anything that I can get done to fix it under warranty?

Attached some pictures... This is the drivers side, passenger side looks fine.
Truck is just over 3 weeks old, havent noticed it before but assume its because of the sun hitting it just right.

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 91

Madmax

Reaction score
Pretty sure that part is steel. I haven't taken a magnet to it, but I would say that's a stamping QC issue for the dealer.

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Can confirm it is steel. Ill reach out to my salesperson as to how I should approach this. Dealer I purchased it from is 200 miles away... Id much rather get it taken care of locally.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Almost looks like the hamper is not painted, but wrapped. Either way, I would be curious and push on it to see if it is a paint “bubble”. That’s me. Either way it would be getting an appt. with a dealer for warranty.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I kinda wonder for things like this if it's easier for the dealer to fix the bumper or just replace it?

If they do replace it maybe look into a steel ranch hand style bumper. The stock bumpers on these trucks seems really weak.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I kinda wonder for things like this if it's easier for the dealer to fix the bumper or just replace it?

If they do replace it maybe look into a steel ranch hand style bumper. The stock bumpers on these trucks seems really weak.
They don’t seem weak......theyARE weak. Only slightly better than tin foil.

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Got word from the dealer I purchased the truck from...
Salesmans answer was roughly the following -
"asked the warranty manager about the warping and showed pictures. Manager confirmed that it was not on the truck when they sold it since they do a very thorough inspection of all vehicles before sale."

Smells kinda like BS to me, since I needed an alignment, the bed is about 1/2" offset from the drivers side to the passenger side and there were 2 "permanent" smudges on my dash leather that I noticed the morning after I got back from the picking the truck up at the dealer (bought the truck at 930pm so kinda my fault for not doing a thorough inspection)

Really want to refrain from calling the dealer out to his face, but come on man...
How would I possibly get that warping in the bumper from regular driving?!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My chrome one had wrinkles in it on the lower driver side. Was never hit, just ripples from the factory.
It went with the rest of the scrap metal, though

edit: I see scratches on your valence. Was it hit?

TankerTrash

Reaction score
My chrome one had wrinkles in it on the lower driver side. Was never hit, just ripples from the factory.
It went with the rest of the scrap metal, though

edit: I see scratches on your valence. Was it hit?

I just saw the same, just took another look at it in the driveway. 99% positive that was the sun reflection off the warped parts. Also found some more warpage on the drivers side fog light skirt, both driver and passenger upper corners of the same bumper piece, as well as the same area that I initially noticed, but on the passenger side... Coincidence???

Spoke with their service department about how to possibly resolve it and was given the walk around every time I tried to ask how thorough they inspect the vehicles. He also tried convincing me that the lower bumper NOT valance was plastic... I dont think they make magnetic plastic?!

Biggest thing about it all - im not trying to create a big stink, I just dont want to be pushed around to avoid the truth.

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Someone tell me im not crazy?!

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 48

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Seems like it maybe a paint/finish issue. Like the paint didn't bond correctly to the metal bumper? hard to tell from pictures but generally you wouldn't get this kind of distortion from an impact.

I laughed at the "magnetic plastic" though.

Highcountry

Reaction score
I just saw the same, just took another look at it in the driveway. 99% positive that was the sun reflection off the warped parts. Also found some more warpage on the drivers side fog light skirt, both driver and passenger upper corners of the same bumper piece, as well as the same area that I initially noticed, but on the passenger side... Coincidence???

Spoke with their service department about how to possibly resolve it and was given the walk around every time I tried to ask how thorough they inspect the vehicles. He also tried convincing me that the lower bumper NOT valance was plastic... I dont think they make magnetic plastic?!

Biggest thing about it all - im not trying to create a big stink, I just dont want to be pushed around to avoid the truth.
Why would they want to avoid warranty for you? It's not like the dealer pays it.

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Why would they want to avoid warranty for you? It's not like the dealer pays it.
Thats what I was thinking?!
I have never dealt with warranty work before, but do know that FCA would foot the bill. I resisted the urge to call the service guy out when he said THEY pay after they take delivery of it.

Asked the selling dealer if they could provide pictures from the listing to see if it was showing or not, and they said they do not have them on file since its been a month from sale, oh well kinda understand...
Ill go to my local dealer tomorrow to pick their brain of how to approach this.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you feel those undulations, or is it just reflective?

Have you tried poking it with a stick? LOL

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Can you feel those undulations, or is it just reflective?

Have you tried poking it with a stick? LOL

Yeah its definitely feel-able. Doesnt feel like a paint bubble.
STILL love the truck to death! Its just one of those things that once you see, you cant un-see!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its wrinkles from the stamping process from what i can see it happens sometimes it could be just the mix of steel in the bumper or the dies getting worn out. Nothing is created equal **** happens..... is it worth worring about? Not in my books

TankerTrash

Reaction score
Its wrinkles from the stamping process from what i can see it happens sometimes it could be just the mix of steel in the bumper or the dies getting worn out. Nothing is created equal **** happens..... is it worth worring about? Not in my books
I agree, its a moot point in my book. 99.9% of the truck is amazing. The big thing that grinds my gears is the selling dealers way of beating around the bush. The child in me wants to go to my local dealer, have them confirm it was a problem from the factory, and then I can report back to the selling dealer that they done messed up.

Tomorrow is a new day and ill cool my jets.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I agree, its a moot point in my book. 99.9% of the truck is amazing. The big thing that grinds my gears is the selling dealers way of beating around the bush. The child in me wants to go to my local dealer, have them confirm it was a problem from the factory, and then I can report back to the selling dealer that they done messed up.

Tomorrow is a new day and ill cool my jets.
Thats just how dealers are they are always hoping people are stupid and believe them i guarantee the truck was barely looked at just the quick PDI and release no pictures taken other than for sales and not checked out in bright daylight looking for issues and defects... i know my truck was never checked out just stashed in the lot then PDI and wash

Users who are viewing this thread