Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to put sumo springs on my incoming '24 3500. Is the suspension the same as '23?

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Hi all - new member! I have a 2024 3500 on order (Hemi - don't throw tomatoes!:p) I want to get sumo springs for the front and rear. On supersprings.com they only go up to 2023. Anyone know of the 2024's ram suspensions are the same? I'm being impatient because there is a sale through october, lol.

I was thinking of going blue - any thoughts? I have a 10k# camper w 1100 dry hitch. The wife and I load the crap out of it, lol. Occasionally have other heavy loads and, from time to time, equipment trailers. Also my daily driver.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
It should be the same based on everything I've seen/heard.

With a Hemi I would 100% only look at the blues for the front, even with a cummins the blacks can engage a bit firm - I use them as progressive bumps, not for load support and I am lifted so they're not resting on the axle like a stock application. For the rear blacks are your softest option from sumo in the single spring (not the two piece), however, you can also order part#511440 x 2 if you want blues to thread on there. With my amount of lift and progressive springs the rear black sumos are not noticeable, but on stock trucks we've had they ride a little rough empty (Both 2500 and 3500). My rears only engage on a hard bottom out, when it gets flexy, or if I load up the ass end to bust squat so they work well on my 2500 application.

I've used Sumosprings quite a bit on a number of trucks for different reasons and I'm a huge fan if you get the right ones for the application. Being that you're getting a 3500 I don't see much reason to add them to the rear unless you plan on going with a softer leaf pack and want some load support once you do. Otherwise I don't think you'll need them to be honest and they'll make the ass end ride rougher unloaded in a totally stock configuration.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Fwiw I don't think you are going to need or want additional spring stiffness on a 3500 with only 1100 lbs on the hitch. You might try driving it first before adding the sumos unless you are also going for softer springs at the same time.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Good info gents, thanks! I was under the impression that they would help the ride quality both front and rear unloaded too... if thats not the case, I will wait and put a bunch of miles on it before I jump. The sale was pulling me in, lol.

I'm new to HD's (been driving a 1500) so I'm trying to get all the info I can...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Good info gents, thanks! I was under the impression that they would help the ride quality both front and rear unloaded too... if thats not the case, I will wait and put a bunch of miles on it before I jump. The sale was pulling me in, lol.

I'm new to HD's (been driving a 1500) so I'm trying to get all the info I can...

Yea the 3500 will have far more capacity than what you're used to. If you want to improve the ride while keeping all that nice payload you have a few options :

1.) front swaybar - The Thuren or Carli swaybar's really improve ride quality and unless you're running top heavy won't have a negative impact. I prefer this over running no sway bar, but others will have their own opinions - neither is wrong just comes down to preference and use of the truck.
2.) front springs and matching shocks - There are plenty of middle of the road or more budget oriented options that won't hurt your payload all the way up to some of the fun stuff. When running softer front springs this where having front sumos can help as a progressive bump, but it requires matching up parts/truck usage/etc.
3a.) rear sulastic shackles - I've ridden in plenty of HD trucks from the big 3 where the right sulastic shackles were installed and they can take some of the "bite" out of the unloaded ride without much negative impact on payload.
3b.) Carli rear shackles - Different than the Sulastic in that they don't have any spring or give, but they have a better bushing design that helps take some of the jarring out of the rear.
4.) rear springs and matching shocks - You can go with lighter leaf packs, but then you will need to add some support for full payload either in the form of bags or something like sumos.

I would honestly drive it around stock for a while and then decide if and what you want to upgrade to "make it yours". Every time I get a new truck I keep it stock for a little while before I build it out for exactly what I want out of the truck.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Hold off on the Sumos, they will make ride quality worse when empty I think. Dig through Thuren's website for loads of great suspension info. Tires with lots of sidewall at reasonable pressure do more for highway ride than just about anything else.

I run 37s on 17" wheels on my 3500 SRW, along with everything Thuren sells for the truck up front. I have factory air assist in the back. It rides great up front and ok in th back unloaded, and putting 4k lbs in the bed doesn't phase it.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Hold off on the Sumos, they will make ride quality worse when empty I think. Dig through Thuren's website for loads of great suspension info. Tires with lots of sidewall at reasonable pressure do more for highway ride than just about anything else.

I run 37s on 17" wheels on my 3500 SRW, along with everything Thuren sells for the truck up front. I have factory air assist in the back. It rides great up front and ok in th back unloaded, and putting 4k lbs in the bed doesn't phase it.
Yup totally forgot to mention tires and pressures lol. That's really item number 1.

Users who are viewing this thread