Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanna make your power wagon feel like a rocket.....

jadmt

Reaction score
So for the last 15000 miles or so I have been running my 35's and today I swapped back to oem's just for shiiits and giggles. Holy cowabunga...feels turbo charged. a guy kind of forgets how they feel with stock tires and wheels. stock set up weighs about ~75lbs apiece and the Toyo 35's on saltas are ~102lbs. Now granted it looks stupid with stock wheels and tires compared to bigger ones but dang, it sure feels like I gained 50hp/50tq so worth the ridicule for at least a little while lol.
4C5E392E-B625-43B3-B2B8-20AB104B3A83.jpeg

el_barto

Reaction score
I had the stock tires for about 2 days, I don’t even Rember what it felt like but I don’t recall a big reduction in power :shrug:

jadmt

Reaction score
I had the stock tires for about 2 days, I don’t even Rember what it felt like but I don’t recall a big reduction in power :shrug:
yea I did not either until I switched back. I switched over right away and did not remember such a difference but going back the other way is pretty telling. not only much quicker but stops much quicker.

TRX21POWERWAGON22

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to re-gear to get the power back. I plan on going 37's, so re-gearing is a must as I like low end power and a 2" lift is what i'll be doing once the baby tires wear out. Re-gearing for 35's is a hard one as it's not worth it unless you want the power back and you know you won't go 37's or 40's. I'll be using the truck daily, so 37's is the max I want to go since I need to tow with it too.

jadmt

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to re-gear to get the power back. I plan on going 37's, so re-gearing is a must as I like low end power and a 2" lift is what i'll be doing once the baby tires wear out. Re-gearing for 35's is a hard one as it's not worth it unless you want the power back and you know you won't go 37's or 40's. I'll be using the truck daily, so 37's is the max I want to go since I need to tow with it too.
yup, if I were going to run 37's I would think it would be required. I don't think anyone is making deeper gears yet for 2019 on up power wagons. Don't get me wrong I am satisfied with the giddy up with 35's but it was just an eye opener as I basically swapped to 35's early on.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
For me, the 37s with the 8 speed and stock 4.10 feels fine. No problem getting up to speed or passing on the 75mph roads here. That's at over a mile-high elevation and max payload.

Gears would help for sure, but it's really not a requirement like on the older gens.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
….. stock set up weighs about ~75lbs apiece and the Toyo 35's on saltas are ~102lbs.

Ouch. That’s insane.

I removed 5lbs of unsprung weight per corner on a mustang I built years back via lighter wheels and brakes and the performance increase was very noticeable.

I cannot imagine ADDING 27 lbs! Holy crap. That’s a performance killer in every measurable category except looks lol

Greenhills

Reaction score
For me, the 37s with the 8 speed and stock 4.10 feels fine. No problem getting up to speed or passing on the 75mph roads here. That's at over a mile-high elevation and max payload.

Gears would help for sure, but it's really not a requirement like on the older gens.
I don't find the need for gears with 37's either. Helps keep the RPM down when on the highway.

Braking however.. thats a different story. 37's killed the braking, looking into options to upgrade the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread