Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration

OCW

Reaction score
Hello everyone have a 2009 2500 mega cab.
Went In for a u joint replacement on my passenger front axle shop suggested I replace the assembly because yokes we're egging so I agreed. They replaced both left and right front axle Assembly the whole things
68055221aa
When I got the truck back I noticed a vibration mostly in seat I would say steering ok no vibration really in steering wheel no noises. Just a vibration thats mostly there but gets worse then settles at all speeds.
I went around block came back and jokingly asked if he had forgot a lug nut or had moved my tires.
Upon looking I noticed on the passenger side two of the caps are not flush as in pic's. He told me as long as clip is in didn't matter ???? What I'm noticing is it must be moving because the rust is shiny there. On the left side they are all pretty well flush.
He said it's my tires I don't understand how it could be my tires since it didn't vibrate before and were not moved. I traded a friend tires and still vibration and no vibration on his truck with my tires.
Drive shaft good , ball joints good, shocks ok. Had three other shops inspect everyone keeps point to those caps don't look right.
Question ❓
Is that u joint causing it?
Are the assemblies bad?
Even if it's not the u joint does the u joint look right from pics we're it's raised ( two are flush two are 1/4ish cockeyed) on the right axle.
Anythoughts would be appreciated
Thanks.
??? I live in Ohio have had snow do these parts look 4 months old? Do they rust that quick?

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_143230351.jpg
    IMG_20230121_143230351.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230122_064017049.jpg
    IMG_20230122_064017049.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230122_063950478.jpg
    IMG_20230122_063950478.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230122_064241167.jpg
    IMG_20230122_064241167.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 27

jetrinka

Reaction score
I call BS on those being replaced. The one bearing/hub assembly bolt I can see in the pictures, which would need to be removed to access the axle, doesn’t look like it’s been touched in years. A brand new axle assembly I doubt would rust to the point of looking like the rest of the front end so quickly.

What is the timeframe? How long ago? Miles? If they did replace them maybe it was a while ago with used axles and they had bad u joints to begin with.

I also don’t buy the explanation that the yokes were egg shaped. I’ve done hundreds of u joints . Unless they were ready to literally fall into pieces the u joint bearing cups are the sacrificial part after the needle bearings are gone

Reactions: OCW

OCW

Reaction score
Thanks this past sept I was billed for
both L and R full
68055221aa and 220aa
Those caps have been like that since day one as for the rest that's what I'm wondering too I feel like they went to a Pick-n-Pull were they really didn't even replace my units they just put u joints in and told me that they bought new ones.
Million dollar question is I don't think that caps okay with that thing popping up a little bit like that it's been like that since day one two of them are like that on the passenger. Thanks.
The clip seems to be in but not to crazy about way it looks and must be rubbing since shinny.

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_143230351.jpg
    IMG_20230121_143230351.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 20

jetrinka

Reaction score
The only way that cap could be moving outwards of the yoke with the c clip installed is if the bearing cup was broken around its circumference within the yoke where it cannot be seen.

If this started after they did whatever they did there is a very high chance it’s related and should be diagnosed by a different shop.

I’ve seen guys installing new u joints not notice one of the needle bearings fall out of its place and into the top of the bearing cup. Continuing to install the u joint usually results in that cup end blowing out from lack of clearance. If they got lucky and didn’t blow it out it would certainly cause the u joint to bind as it spins causing a vibration.

Either way an install error

OCW

Reaction score
Thanks im on the same page i dont understand why the shop wont remedy it. I noticed both caps awkward when i pulled back in after going just down the street that was my first thought or he didnt put the lug nut on.
They keep saying its normal as long as the clip is in doesnt matter /and that the rust is normal two which shocks me after only 4 months. What i think they did is grabbed some pick and pull axles and dont have a warranty even though on paper work says liftime warranty. Is there a marking on the axles that would show were they came from? The bolt your talking about that doesnt look touch you talking about the greyish looking one above the u joints ???
Thanks for your imput dodge shop going to pull it all apart wednesday and try and figure out what they did but i think i got the old switch arooh pulled on me. as rusty as they are.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The hub bolt I am talking about is the small one above and to the left of the u joint cup you are talking about. It’s small looking as it’s farther away in the picture than the u joint. The grayish but you’re talking about is the upper ball joint nut

jetrinka

Reaction score
Also I am just speculating here. I wouldn’t blame the other shop till you get another opinion and get some facts behind it

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
4 months of midwest rust, it's impossible to tell what was replaced.

Vibration in the seat is usually rear tire balance or other rear end related issue.

jetrinka

Reaction score
4 months of midwest rust, it's impossible to tell what was replaced.

Vibration in the seat is usually rear tire balance or other rear end related issue.
The problem with reading things on my phone is I miss things like the fact that he doesn't feel the vibration in the steering wheel but moreso in the seat of his pants.... Thank you.

OP, Brutal is correct. If you aren't feeling the vibration in the steering wheel very much I doubt the problem is the front u-joints.

OCW

Reaction score
The problem with reading things on my phone is I miss things like the fact that he doesn't feel the vibration in the steering wheel but moreso in the seat of his pants.... Thank you.

OP, Brutal is correct. If you aren't feeling the vibration in the steering wheel very much I doubt the problem is the front u-joints.
It's not so much that I think the you joint is causing the vibration I just don't want to start changing other parts on the truck when obviously the u joints not seated properly. So anyways finally after 4 months got a hold of the district manager that knew nothing about it in 10 minutes basically agreed to pull the axle assembly just replace them and actually give me a receipt with a part number or is the other shop couldn't produce any paperwork of what they actually put in my truck or what they did not put in my truck. But it was evident that u joint cap was moving.
So million dollar question no the vibration did not stop not really still feel it in the seat of my pants.( Really feel it when I go over bridges overpasses?) Got the tires checked again balanced and aligned and not much change at all. I was thinking about changing out my rear shocks it's been 8 years figured they need it anyways any recommendations on what kind of shocks I should put on. (8.5 plow , small trailer, 20' boat) hemi 5.7 2009 megacab sxt. 2.5 level kit rough country
Thanks

WRCLVR

Reaction score
8 years ? LOL ok so Bilstein B6 or B8 in correct length for your lift. Get the correct part numbers directly from Bilstein USA after consulting with them. And then shop the various warehouses for the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread