Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration at 60-65

flashman252

Reaction score
-2022 Ram 2500 Cummins motor
-32k mi
-20” rims night edition
-Completely stock
-Cooper st maxx tires installed roughly 25k-27k mi ago since Firestone tires had major failure at 5k mi. Have been rotated and balanced 3 times. Just had it balanced again a week ago to try and fix vibration.

-issue: between 60-65 mph, there is a vibration. Not terrible when empty, could almost just say the road is rough. Towing my bass boat 3 weeks ago to a tournament is when I really noticed it. Last weekend hauled the boat and again noticed it. So next day took it and had tires balanced, kid said front was off by 4 oz. Today, I took boat to lake and back, and it didn’t help a thing. Is this a tire issue or do I need to take it to dealership and have them start checking joints and drive shaft you think?

Also, plan to install fox 2.0 shocks all the way around, going to have thuren 1” lift coils installed up front and thuren track bar installed. At that point I’ll have to get an alignment done. Should I just do this first and see if possibly the vibration is related to stock track bar/shocks or an alignment issue?

Curious what others might do in this situation.

Thanks for all replies in advance.

flan

Reaction score
Where’s the vibration? In the steering wheel or in your seat?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Since it is worse when the back end is loaded, might just be a bad tire on the back. If a tire is slightly out of round, then you can balance it all you want and it is not going to cure the problem. Happened to me once and found one tire had a broken belt. Easy to check.

flashman252

Reaction score
Since it is worse when the back end is loaded, might just be a bad tire on the back. If a tire is slightly out of round, then you can balance it all you want and it is not going to cure the problem. Happened to me once and found one tire had a broken belt. Easy to check.
Surely when I took my truck to have them balanced they would have checked this? Idk maybe not? I’m not too keen on how you check if a tire is out of round. I just always have been super diligent with all my trucks that when I get an oil change, I get tires rotated and balanced as well. Never been an issue and I’ve always trusted the shop I’ve taken my trucks the last 15 years. So not trying to sound naive, I just don’t truly know the process in how they check this or the process? Because I’ll gladly take it to them and ask to have to checked.

Cseybert

Reaction score
Most people don’t check for out of round you can balance an out of round tire I believe? Happened to me on a brand new set of Toyos.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Surely when I took my truck to have them balanced they would have checked this? Idk maybe not? I’m not too keen on how you check if a tire is out of round. I just always have been super diligent with all my trucks that when I get an oil change, I get tires rotated and balanced as well. Never been an issue and I’ve always trusted the shop I’ve taken my trucks the last 15 years. So not trying to sound naive, I just don’t truly know the process in how they check this or the process? Because I’ll gladly take it to them and ask to have to checked.
I'd rotate the tires then tow again to see if the feeling changes/follows. There are certain tire imperfections in the tread body that can cause what you are describing. Finding a shop that can specifically do a road force balance can help identify what a regular no load balance won't.

flashman252

Reaction score
So ill be taking it back to the tire shop on friday. Was going to head back to the lake to get another practice day in for an upcoming tournament. But its just too noticeable this morning. Vibration is not in the steering wheel, also it just sounds like the tires (if that makes sense). I am going to take it back, tell them they just balanced the tires and have them re do it. I am super curious if they have stayed balanced after only 2 weeks of driving and towing the boat 500 mi. My guess, a tire either threw a weight or something has gone wrong with these tires. This morning driving into work (empty) I could feel vibration from 55-67 and then finally became almost just a hummmm around 70-80. Ill keep you all updated with results. Unfortunately, won't be able to get it to the tire shop until Fri morning.

flashman252

Reaction score
Driveshaft balance or bad pinion angle?
So definitely have thought about this. Starting with tires first, and wasnt overly satisfied two weeks ago when I took them to be balanced and the kid who balanced my tires said one was off by 4 oz in the front. Also, I am pretty sure I heard a loud knock (like a tire threw a rock against the fenderwell) but it was different and louder. Like it threw a REALLY BIG ROCK. Super curious if a tire threw a weight. Ill know on friday when I take it back to the tire shop. If the tires have remained balanced from being balanced 2 weeks ago, then we are making an apt to the dealership to start looking elsewhere. If tires are out of balance again (which I am suspecting) then I will be having a conversation with the manager of the tire shop. I have insurance on the tires, so theyre going to have to make it right because I cannot be getting tires rebalanced every couple weeks.

flashman252

Reaction score
At tire shop now. Asked if they had a road force balance machine and they guy giggled and said they just got the machine this week. So I asked to have that done. According to him, half way through the job he said two tires were really high at 75. I have no idea what any of that means but he said it definitely was out of balance and they are correcting them now.

Anyone else want to shed some light and educated a dumby here?

Ostracize

Reaction score
At tire shop now. Asked if they had a road force balance machine and they guy giggled and said they just got the machine this week. So I asked to have that done. According to him, half way through the job he said two tires were really high at 75. I have no idea what any of that means but he said it definitely was out of balance and they are correcting them now.

Anyone else want to shed some light and educated a dumby here?
Road force balance simulates a load on the tire as if it was mounted on a vehicle... And usually can test at different speeds and loads. Opposite of standard balancing machines that just spin the tire at the speed the machine is calibrated for and without any load on the tire. Hence the finding of imperfections in the tread(most likely). Some imperfections can be compensated for some cannot, ie broken belt or tread body delamination, which required replacement.

flashman252

Reaction score
Road force balance simulates a load on the tire as if it was mounted on a vehicle... And usually can test at different speeds and loads. Opposite of standard balancing machines that just spin the tire at the speed the machine is calibrated for and without any load on the tire. Hence the finding of imperfections in the tread(most likely). Some imperfections can be compensated for some cannot, ie broken belt or tread body delamination, which required replacement.
Sure I understand all that but the guy specifically came to me and said "you have two tires high at 75". No idea what that means. Either way, truck has been way better. Have not towed anything with it yet and this is when it was the worst. Towing the travel trailer this thursday and camping with the fam through the weekend. That will be the true test.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Sure I understand all that but the guy specifically came to me and said "you have two tires high at 75". No idea what that means. Either way, truck has been way better. Have not towed anything with it yet and this is when it was the worst. Towing the travel trailer this thursday and camping with the fam through the weekend. That will be the true test.
I cannot be certain but my guess would be either:
High vibration @ 75
Or high tread variation(stretch) @75
Glad to hear it's better

Users who are viewing this thread