Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very slight rub with 35s, best option?

Joe_Lee

Reaction score
I have 35/12.5R20 ridge graps on stock 20s. 2023 Ram 2500 with rear air suspension.

The tires don't seem to rub on the drivers side but do very slightly rub the radius arm on passenger slide with any amount of articulation.

I'm pretty ok with it as is but if I wanted to fix it, what is my best option? (I don't want to change tires)

1/4-3/8" wheel spacers?
Will a level kit help if it is rubbing the radius arm?

Last edited:

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
get properly backspaced wheels and forget the spacers.....

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
The only way to fix rubbing on the radius arms with stock wheels would be the Thuren alien radius arms that are clearanced for it. It'll cost just as much as a set of wheels with the proper backspacing.

If the rubbing is minor you can also just live with it and remember that you might not want to go full lock if you can avoid it. Realigning to Thuren specs might also net you a tiny amount of clearance running higher castor, but it's not gonna be much.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I have same tires, 35/12.5r20 ridge grapps and they also rub sometimes on full lock when suspension is articulating, but in my case the rub is on the sway bar. I'm not worried though but will go 11.5 the next time, 11.5 were not available and I needed a set in a hurry to replace the junk that came on a truck

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
If the rubbing is minor you can also just live with it and remember that you might not want to go full lock if you can avoid it. Realigning to Thuren specs might also net you a tiny amount of clearance running higher castor, but it's not gonna be much.

Actually, you want less castor to prevent the rubbing. I run 3.5 of castor on my PW. everything else is set to thuren specs.

Adding castor basically tilts the top of the turning axis back which will cause the tire to move in more when turning. ;)

PW rims have a different offset and move the wheel out a little. my 35X12.50's do not rub, even at full stuff when articulating the suspension.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Actually, you want less castor to prevent the rubbing. I run 3.5 of castor on my PW. everything else is set to thuren specs.

Adding castor basically tilts the top of the turning axis back which will cause the tire to move in more when turning. ;)

PW rims have a different offset and move the wheel out a little. my 35X12.50's do not rub, even at full stuff when articulating the suspension.
You're right. I was thinking of the 1500s where pushing the castor higher helps with the rub in the wheel wells lol. I've had my hands on too many rams to keep things straight sometimes.

Dinky503

Reaction score
I can't stand tires that rub. I would either but different wheels or find a skinnier tire. Running wheel space are a cheap fix but not a proper fix at all. You find where it is rubbing and see if you can trim/tuck in the spot if it's the fender. If your hitting the sway bar upgrade it to a thuren active sway bar and good to go.

Joe_Lee

Reaction score
So far, the only rub I can find has been a very minor smudge on the passenger side radius arm. I think it is minor enough to run these tires and maybe go to 35/11.5 next time.

Users who are viewing this thread