Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigSarge64

Reaction score

2020 Ram 2500 4x4 Offroad
I retired nearly 11 yrs ago and want to do some overlading in different states here in the US. I have been watching hundreds of videos on YouTube and I need some input on the following Please:
*Lift or no lift?
*Afordable and great performance Suspension Shocks
*I got the wheels and tires already
*An Affordable and Functional Bed Rack
*Rock sliding bars
* I'm aiming for a 17.500 winch. I have seen many Rams 2500 with only a 12k lbs winch, but according to the 1.5 rule it seems not strong enough for a 10k lbs rig. Any input on this?
*Have anyone founf a good roof rack?
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
6BT, it will fit but Im not sure what all is needed for mods. There is a youtube video of one in texas. I have tried contacting him to see how he did the intrument cluster but he hasnt responded. How much is the bellhousing and adapters that are needed to bolt up to the 4l80e?
What are you talking about lol

BigSarge64

Reaction score
One of my customers has what I think is the perfect overlanding Ram. 3” lift, 37” tires, 16,500lb winch, camper bed conversion.

View attachment 14371View attachment 14372
One of my customers has what I think is the perfect overlanding Ram. 3” lift, 37” tires, 16,500lb winch, camper bed conversion.

View attachment 14371View attachment 14372
Hey this may be a dumb question (but I want to spend my money in useful MOD’s like suspension and stuff of that nature, not just for the looks of it) about those Fox 2.0 are they really worth the money ie, do they really work a lot bettr than stock shocks? Am new to this and want to make sure I spend wisely. Also, I can’t find any Fog Lights for my truck, any sugestions? Thanks for the post.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Hey this may be a dumb question (but I want to spend my money in useful MOD’s like suspension and stuff of that nature, not just for the looks of it) about those Fox 2.0 are they really worth the money ie, do they really work a lot bettr than stock shocks? Am new to this and want to make sure I spend wisely. Also, I can’t find any Fog Lights for my truck, any sugestions? Thanks for the post.
Yea, they work better than the black body factory shocks because they’re better technology. Not only did I have a leaky factory rear shock, but they were just plain ol emulsion shocks (oil and gas mixed). Upgrading to a shock such as Fox 2.0s with IFP will give you a better ride because the oil and gas are separated in the shock by the internal floating piston. I do have the specialty tools and knowledge to tune and service Fox shocks so that’s the brand I stick with. As far as “worth” that’s very subjective. I don’t really spend my money wisely, so maybe wait for others to chime in on that subject.

I had luck adding fog lights to my truck using the Baja designs squadron kit and ordering all the factory fog light parts. There are a few threads on here about doing that.

BigSarge64

Reaction score
Yea, they work better than the black body factory shocks because they’re better technology. Not only did I have a leaky factory rear shock, but they were just plain ol emulsion shocks (oil and gas mixed). Upgrading to a shock such as Fox 2.0s with IFP will give you a better ride because the oil and gas are separated in the shock by the internal floating piston. I do have the specialty tools and knowledge to tune and service Fox shocks so that’s the brand I stick with. As far as “worth” that’s very subjective. I don’t really spend my money wisely, so maybe wait for others to chime in on that subject.

I had luck adding fog lights to my truck using the Baja designs squadron kit and ordering all the factory fog light parts. There are a few threads on here about doing that.
Great info and thanks for the reply and for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

BigSarge64

Reaction score
Another thing, are the U Joints reliable? Should I replace them for better ones? The same goes for axles joints

BigJim

Reaction score
Oh no, not youtube videos. Stop! Most of those guys are "weekend warriors" and spend more time making videos then really doing it. Keep in mind that they need "clicks" to make money and so they have to go over the top to get viewers to watch. If you keep watching those videos they'll have you convinced that you must have 37 inch or bigger tires with big lift kits and expensive shocks and on and on and on they go. Sure it would be nice to have their bank accounts but if I did I sure would spend my money better! Most true overlanders do very little to suspensions and only go up a size or two in tires. I've been overlanding for over 50 years, long before they invented that name, I've done the big builds and spent uncounted thousands of dollars building "ultimate" trail rigs. I've come to realize that almost all of that money was wasted!!! Remember the "kiss" principle, "keep it simple stupid"! Most modern trucks can do amazing things right off the showroom floor so spend less on the toys and more getting out there and doing it. Over time you'll find out the things that YOU need for your style of travel.

As for larger tires. Go for one of the "hockey puck" 2 inch lift for the front. That should get you 35 inch tires that will only rub at max deflection. You might need a 1 inch block for the rear but all my trucks have been just fine with the small front lift.

Stick with the factory shocks until they need replacing, by then you'll know if you really need the expensive ones for your traveling style.

Add a good quality air compressor and small tank. You'll use that a lot when airing back up at the end of a trail. This is where you'll get the most bang for your bucks.

I've had rock sliders on my current truck for years and still have yet to hit them on anything and that's with thousands of off road miles. They're nice for piece of mind but unless you plan on getting really crazy on the trails you'll likely never use them.

A 12000 pound winch is likely the biggest you'll ever need. I have a 9,500 on my truck and have only used a couple times to pull others out. Find a local club or place where you can learn about how to properly use a winch and you'll find that the 12000 will cover everything you could likely encounter. You'd be surprised to learn how many never have one and get along just fine. Get the smaller winch and spend the extra money on a good sturdy front bumper. That will save you a lot of money in damages from the animals you're going to hit in your travels. No kidding.

Can't help you with the rack since you don't say how you intend to use it. But the aftermarket is full of them. If you live in or near a large city you can probably find a shop to build one just how you want it.

Take it from one of the suckers that bought into all the toys as "must haves" for off roading and overlanding. Don't do it!! Start by just going and doing and you'll find over time what you need.

Hope this helps! Happy Trails!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The Ram heavy duty platform is pretty capable out of the box, even without the power wagon package.

I’m no overlander, just a guy that needs 4x4 to get some of the places I take my truck, and I love to camp. I just call it camping.

I decided the truck was pretty good out of the box and didn’t need much.

I left the suspension alone with the exception of adding Fox 2.0 shocks all around. I have a 1” front lift that I will put on when I make time, and I will likely remove the front sway bar at that time.

With no lift, 35” tires fit with no trimming and no rubbing though the suspensions full range of motion.

I added bumper with sturdy recovery points and a 12k winch and a little more lighting.

I’m still waiting on my topper, but when it arrives it will keep my gear dry.

has been working out so far for my weekend adventures and I think it will serve me well for a long time

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
A stock truck will do 90% of the things most overlanders will ever do. If you want to step up comfort, performance or reliability you can open your wallet to do it. How much you open it is your choice and depends on your needs. If you are doing offroad travelling a better suspension and shocks are a worthwhile investment. You can stay mild if the purpose is to just get you and your stuff out there and back. There is some great info out there. You might want to check out the Overland Bound or Expedition Portal forums overland specific builds.

BigSarge64

Reaction score
Oh no, not youtube videos. Stop! Most of those guys are "weekend warriors" and spend more time making videos then really doing it. Keep in mind that they need "clicks" to make money and so they have to go over the top to get viewers to watch. If you keep watching those videos they'll have you convinced that you must have 37 inch or bigger tires with big lift kits and expensive shocks and on and on and on they go. Sure it would be nice to have their bank accounts but if I did I sure would spend my money better! Most true overlanders do very little to suspensions and only go up a size or two in tires. I've been overlanding for over 50 years, long before they invented that name, I've done the big builds and spent uncounted thousands of dollars building "ultimate" trail rigs. I've come to realize that almost all of that money was wasted!!! Remember the "kiss" principle, "keep it simple stupid"! Most modern trucks can do amazing things right off the showroom floor so spend less on the toys and more getting out there and doing it. Over time you'll find out the things that YOU need for your style of travel.

As for larger tires. Go for one of the "hockey puck" 2 inch lift for the front. That should get you 35 inch tires that will only rub at max deflection. You might need a 1 inch block for the rear but all my trucks have been just fine with the small front lift.

Stick with the factory shocks until they need replacing, by then you'll know if you really need the expensive ones for your traveling style.

Add a good quality air compressor and small tank. You'll use that a lot when airing back up at the end of a trail. This is where you'll get the most bang for your bucks.

I've had rock sliders on my current truck for years and still have yet to hit them on anything and that's with thousands of off road miles. They're nice for piece of mind but unless you plan on getting really crazy on the trails you'll likely never use them.

A 12000 pound winch is likely the biggest you'll ever need. I have a 9,500 on my truck and have only used a couple times to pull others out. Find a local club or place where you can learn about how to properly use a winch and you'll find that the 12000 will cover everything you could likely encounter. You'd be surprised to learn how many never have one and get along just fine. Get the smaller winch and spend the extra money on a good sturdy front bumper. That will save you a lot of money in damages from the animals you're going to hit in your travels. No kidding.

Can't help you with the rack since you don't say how you intend to use it. But the aftermarket is full of them. If you live in or near a large city you can probably find a shop to build one just how you want it.

Take it from one of the suckers that bought into all the toys as "must haves" for off roading and overlanding. Don't do it!! Start by just going and doing and you'll find over time what you need.

Hope this helps! Happy Trails!
Man I tell you, You just kill lots of my worries. I already bpought the 35in tires and I'm looking for a strong 2.5 in leveling kit fore the front. Your input it is greatly appreciated. I will come back to it and read it again and again. Thanks!

BigSarge64

Reaction score
A stock truck will do 90% of the things most overlanders will ever do. If you want to step up comfort, performance or reliability you can open your wallet to do it. How much you open it is your choice and depends on your needs. If you are doing offroad travelling a better suspension and shocks are a worthwhile investment. You can stay mild if the purpose is to just get you and your stuff out there and back. There is some great info out there. You might want to check out the Overland Bound or Expedition Portal forums overland specific builds.
Thanks for your post. Honestly That's what I was worried about cause I don't want to spend all that money for just going out once or twice a month. Not looking to do any extreme rock crawling, Not into damaging my investment. I want to be able to enjpoy nature come home safe, and doing it again and again.

BigSarge64

Reaction score
The Ram heavy duty platform is pretty capable out of the box, even without the power wagon package.

I’m no overlander, just a guy that needs 4x4 to get some of the places I take my truck, and I love to camp. I just call it camping.

I decided the truck was pretty good out of the box and didn’t need much.

I left the suspension alone with the exception of adding Fox 2.0 shocks all around. I have a 1” front lift that I will put on when I make time, and I will likely remove the front sway bar at that time.

With no lift, 35” tires fit with no trimming and no rubbing though the suspensions full range of motion.

I added bumper with sturdy recovery points and a 12k winch and a little more lighting.

I’m still waiting on my topper, but when it arrives it will keep my gear dry.

has been working out so far for my weekend adventures and I think it will serve me well for a long time
That's what I'm into. Camping and sight seeing, BBQ, drink and good well deserved rest. The only MOD I have done so far are bigger tires and wheels, pinted the truck bed with that Rhino thing and that's about it. 2.5in leveling kit is next. I will cancel the 17.500lbs winch as I see that 12,000lbs may be enough. maybe good after markt bumpers for added safety and armor. Thanks again!

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
My advice.....

Just go out and do it. Most people are so concerned with throwing as much stuff as possible on their trucks, but forget to actually just go out and explore. You will quickly find what parts/mods will be beneficial to you. If you already experienced with the areas you want to explore there are certain must haves like maybe sliders and skid plates, but for the most part just go out and enjoy and build the truck as needed.

I come from mostly the car world and it's the same mentality. People modding their cars for track days and racing, but few ever actually go out and use their parts for anything other than car meets in parking lots.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
We "overland" Every weekend. I have a completely stock RAM 2500. I spend my money on fuel and food.

At least here in PA...if you are somewhere a stock truck can not go...you are somewhere you are not allowed to be or an offroad park.

To "overland" you need a vehicle and fuel for it. You need shelter. You need water and food.

You just need to go enjoy yourself. You may find you do not even need the winch.

Users who are viewing this thread