Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Bus Bar for Stereo Amplifier Positive

ClawSS

Reaction score
I am thinking that I can use a ZCase Mega fuse here on the post (3rd from top) and pull off of that with a 1/0 AWG wire into the cabin. I do not fully understand how the fuse works and unsure of the stud size, I'm guessing M6. Which if I go after a fuse, then the M6 sizes only go up to 250a.

Anyone done this maybe for other electrical (or stereo) ? Is there anything else I need...like SPECIAL NUTS. ;):p

IMG-1983.jpge8f2567065f2aef6676d9aea9015ded3.JPG

ClawSS

Reaction score
Cool, but I want the one next to it that is fused with a MRBF fuse pictured in the OP. I had never used one of those marine based fuses before. They do have a Mopar p/n.

gprguy

Reaction score
Interesting - I had no idea that little thing was a fuse.. I wouldn't mind using one of those on the HAPP on my truck.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Right!!! That was why I am here. I saw the open post on the bus bar...looked up the whole group diagram...saw that the M6 handled up to 250a and used that type of fuse. I'm just unsure of the isolation and how it works with the stud, steel nut, wire lug, etc etc.

Last edited:

ClawSS

Reaction score
would anyone know where to get those wire lugs with the long shank at a 45 degree?

ClawSS

Reaction score
Yep...all those things make sense. The ones I find for sale don't show the fiber washers, etc. AND doing this on the OEM post requires me to source that stuff.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, but I want the one next to it that is fused with a MRBF fuse pictured in the OP. I had never used one of those marine based fuses before. They do have a Mopar p/n.

Gotcha, the M6 stud is used on my truck so I didn’t even think about it.

I haven’t seen OEM fuses larger than 250A.

What size fuse do you want?

ClawSS

Reaction score
250a is fine I think, My plan was for 1/0 back to the sub amplifier. The amplifier manual calls for a 220a so I was going to put a 250a at the battery via that style, and pull the 1/0 to the rear of the cabin and put a 220a in a fuse block to the amp.

ClawSS

Reaction score
@AH64ID If you notice, I have 2 M6 studs ... one is used for something and the other is empty. I wonder what is hooked up there. PCM or main BCM harnesses I assume.

JustARam22

Reaction score
This is smart great idea, only down side if you blow it will you able to find it easily....anl fuses are alot more common...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@ClawSS my 2nd alternator is hooked up to one M6 and the 2nd battery to the other.

Without the 2nd battery on the Hemi I’d guess your main alternator is hooked to the M6 stud in use.

ClawSS

Reaction score
@AH64ID , Where is the second battery? I wonder what the AWG is on that cable and the overall length. Just thinking I could use a factory harness off that post, but instead of going to a second battery, I run it into the cab and use a distr. block to a longer length cable from there.

Yes, I am well aware that all of this can be achieved using a waterproof fuse block, 6" of cable in and the full length out to the cabin.....I'm just thinking about a factory "hidden look" but still viable for 200a of current.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@AH64ID , Where is the second battery? I wonder what the AWG is on that cable and the overall length. Just thinking I could use a factory harness off that post, but instead of going to a second battery, I run it into the cab and use a distr. block to a longer length cable from there.

Yes, I am well aware that all of this can be achieved using a waterproof fuse block, 6" of cable in and the full length out to the cabin.....I'm just thinking about a factory "hidden look" but still viable for 200a of current.

It’s on the passenger side behind the air filter.

It’s a big cable, 00 or larger from the looks of it.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Secondary "wonder" is if the PowerWagons have this used on their winch hookup from factory. I have not explored that either. Winches pull a huge amp draw at initial startup.

ClawSS

Reaction score
This is smart great idea, only down side if you blow it will you able to find it easily....anl fuses are alot more common...
They seem to be available at Advance Auto....in stock even. Although it is hit or miss. I'd assume they were available at the dealer during the week and more $$$.

flan

Reaction score
They seem to be available at Advance Auto....in stock even. Although it is hit or miss. I'd assume they were available at the dealer during the week and more $$$.
Throw a extra in the glove box and then you will never need one ;)

Users who are viewing this thread