Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used PW vs New 6.4

Enve46

Reaction score
Seeking some outside insight... I've loved living in the diesel world, have had a 22 2500 Mega cab, 19 2500 limited mega cab and now a 2013 G56 Laramie mega cab. That said, I've come to my senses and realized that owning a diesel for my needs is more a headache than anything else. I do want to stay in a 2500 though. I feel 1500s, other than the TRX are to low and require extensive suspension work to get it looking right. So Im considering looking into either used Power Wagons, which I love and always have, OR a 23 6.4 2500 in a high Big Horn or low Laramie trim to stay within my budget. My wife and I would love to get a Jeep but it's too small for our needs with two little ones so that has me leaning towards the PW to enjoy some mild off-roading and trail riding, but I'd be looking at slightly higher mileage to again, stay in budget. Now, how often we will use the PW is open as we are building a new house and with youngin's you never really know but I love the PW's and what they have to offer... So, thoughts, opinions, questions? And yes, my 2013 G56 is for sale but it aint cheap!

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Seeking some outside insight... I've loved living in the diesel world, have had a 22 2500 Mega cab, 19 2500 limited mega cab and now a 2013 G56 Laramie mega cab. That said, I've come to my senses and realized that owning a diesel for my needs is more a headache than anything else. I do want to stay in a 2500 though. I feel 1500s, other than the TRX are to low and require extensive suspension work to get it looking right. So Im considering looking into either used Power Wagons, which I love and always have, OR a 23 6.4 2500 in a high Big Horn or low Laramie trim to stay within my budget. My wife and I would love to get a Jeep but it's too small for our needs with two little ones so that has me leaning towards the PW to enjoy some mild off-roading and trail riding, but I'd be looking at slightly higher mileage to again, stay in budget. Now, how often we will use the PW is open as we are building a new house and with youngin's you never really know but I love the PW's and what they have to offer... So, thoughts, opinions, questions? And yes, my 2013 G56 is for sale but it aint cheap!
Low milage PW, or a low milage 1500 and spend the savings on upgrades and extended warranty.

Firebird

Reaction score
I just made the same decision and picked up a 2023 Laramie 6.4

MtnRider

Reaction score
Do you "need" what the PW has to offer? (winch, sway bar disconnect, lockers, gear ratio, etc). If not the regular 6.4 may be the better option. It will surely get better mpg then the PW if that is a concern.

1stindoor

Reaction score
As evident in my pic...2023 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab. It's my second Mega Cab. After owning 3 of them...I suspect you'll miss it if you go the PW route.

Enve46

Reaction score
Do you "need" what the PW has to offer? (winch, sway bar disconnect, lockers, gear ratio, etc). If not the regular 6.4 may be the better option. It will surely get better mpg then the PW if that is a concern.
Need is always hard to define haha No my daily commute doesn't require those things but I can see myself using those things at some point. We live in TN now and enjoy the mountains. Some cabins we visit are gravel roads that can get dicey in rain or snow conditions, but Ive made it through with a rental 1500 before. A 1500 would suit me fine but I just think they're too soft looking and I actually enjoy the solid axle feel, like Im driving a real truck. MPG isn't a concern really, Ive had TRXs getting 7-8 MPG haha

Enve46

Reaction score
As evident in my pic...2023 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab. It's my second Mega Cab. After owning 3 of them...I suspect you'll miss it if you go the PW route.
I wonder the same about the Mega Cab. Simplifying my life is more a goal and most Mega Cabs are out of my price range unless they're pushing 100k miles.

Firebird

Reaction score
I've had 2 Mega's, and they were wonderful rigs, but they were overkill for us, it's just me and my wife

Enve46

Reaction score
I've had 2 Mega's, and they were wonderful rigs, but they were overkill for us, it's just me and my wife
I have two little ones, my son still in rear facing seat for probably another 6 months. The extra space is awesome, just dont think its necessary. If we weren't building this unnecessarily expensive house Id probably keep my 13 G56 and get a Jeep, but a house is a far better investment!

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I fell in love with the Powerwagon since its the OEM equivalent of a tonka truck from my childhood. I too also don't mind a truck feeling like a truck. I love the more old school feel of the PW and I'm only 45. Haha. I optioned mine with the bench seat and floor shifter just for those reasons. I've only owned my PW for about 8 months now, but I've weirdly used the winch helping pull stuck folks and trees. And I live in the suburbs of Ohio. Not some remote cool location. The truck makes me smile every time I see it and climb into it.

Do you 'need' the Powerwagon? Probably not and finding a Big Horn will be easier. However, there is an emotional aspect to cars and trucks and if the Powerwagon tickles your fancy, go for it. The only reason I would say to avoid one is if you are going to routinely tow heavy. I've towed my heavily armored and lifted JK wrangler several times this year and the truck shrugged it off. However, if I was pulling a camper or towing every weekend, then the setup of a standard Big Horn would probably suit you better. I cared about the unique looks, winch and off-road goodies of the PW more than the towing since I rarely get above 10k.

Firebird

Reaction score
I fell in love with the Powerwagon since its the OEM equivalent of a tonka truck from my childhood. I too also don't mind a truck feeling like a truck. I love the more old school feel of the PW and I'm only 45. Haha. I optioned mine with the bench seat and floor shifter just for those reasons. I've only owned my PW for about 8 months now, but I've weirdly used the winch helping pull stuck folks and trees. And I live in the suburbs of Ohio. Not some remote cool location. The truck makes me smile every time I see it and climb into it.

Do you 'need' the Powerwagon? Probably not and finding a Big Horn will be easier. However, there is an emotional aspect to cars and trucks and if the Powerwagon tickles your fancy, go for it. The only reason I would say to avoid one is if you are going to routinely tow heavy. I've towed my heavily armored and lifted JK wrangler several times this year and the truck shrugged it off. However, if I was pulling a camper or towing every weekend, then the setup of a standard Big Horn would probably suit you better. I cared about the unique looks, winch and off-road goodies of the PW more than the towing since I rarely get above 10k.
The Power Wagon is definitely one of the finest looking trucks on the road today!

Nothotdog

Reaction score
Need is always hard to define haha No my daily commute doesn't require those things but I can see myself using those things at some point. We live in TN now and enjoy the mountains. Some cabins we visit are gravel roads that can get dicey in rain or snow conditions, but Ive made it through with a rental 1500 before. A 1500 would suit me fine but I just think they're too soft looking and I actually enjoy the solid axle feel, like Im driving a real truck. MPG isn't a concern really, Ive had TRXs getting 7-8 MPG haha
I was in a somewhat similar situation as you with respect to wanting an HD over 1500, just because I wanted it.

I knew I wouldn't come anywhere near needing a diesel nor would I ever need a high payload capacity or tow capacity, so I opted for a PW. I figured I would much more likely use the off road capabilities than I would need to use the other things that a typical HD truck excels at.

However, if I were to make a choice between a somewhat high mileage PW or a new 6.4 Laramie, I would probably lean towards the new truck. I haven't done any in depth analysis on the value of new vs used, and my PW is my first new vehicle (every vehicle I had before, I got used), but I felt that (especially given the high prices of used trucks) I didn't want to pay too much for miles that I didn't put on the truck myself.

I will probably put about 12k miles a year on my PW (daily driver). I will probably have it paid off by around 60k miles. I personally would prefer to have a paid off truck at 60k miles than one that is finally paid off at 120k miles.

However, you have much more experience than I with what you are looking for in a truck (I went with the PW basically sight unseen, knowing that it was what I wanted, but with no frame of reference to how it handles compared to other trucks). I love the PW and don't think I'd wish to ever not have one, so if you love the PW as well, then maybe that is all that matters (maybe you can find a new 23 on a lot that a dealer is anxious to offload and is within your price range).

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I was in a somewhat similar situation as you with respect to wanting an HD over 1500, just because I wanted it.

I knew I wouldn't come anywhere near needing a diesel nor would I ever need a high payload capacity or tow capacity, so I opted for a PW. I figured I would much more likely use the off road capabilities than I would need to use the other things that a typical HD truck excels at.

However, if I were to make a choice between a somewhat high mileage PW or a new 6.4 Laramie, I would probably lean towards the new truck. I haven't done any in depth analysis on the value of new vs used, and my PW is my first new vehicle (every vehicle I had before, I got used), but I felt that (especially given the high prices of used trucks) I didn't want to pay too much for miles that I didn't put on the truck myself.

I will probably put about 12k miles a year on my PW (daily driver). I will probably have it paid off by around 60k miles. I personally would prefer to have a paid off truck at 60k miles than one that is finally paid off at 120k miles.

However, you have much more experience than I with what you are looking for in a truck (I went with the PW basically sight unseen, knowing that it was what I wanted, but with no frame of reference to how it handles compared to other trucks). I love the PW and don't think I'd wish to ever not have one, so if you love the PW as well, then maybe that is all that matters (maybe you can find a new 23 on a lot that a dealer is anxious to offload and is within your price range).
This logic led to my first new vehicle purchase in 20+ years. The used ones were going for stupid expensive prices and getting new with exactly what I wanted was only like $5000 more than a used one with 20-30 thousand miles on it. Plus, I tend to keep my vehicles for 10+ years if they are reliable.

The good thing is that if you can find a new one on a lot, there seems to be deals returning on those. Used still seems stupid-high, but I'm hearing much more about rebates and incentives on new than I was back in Fall of 2022 when I ordered my truck. Plus, you also have year-end working in favor on new as dealers try to make final sales numbers for the year.

Have you not been able to find any lower mileage used PWs or new ones with money on the hood on lots? I've sort of fallen out of paying attention to that stuff since I took delivery of mine.

Enve46

Reaction score

I too have always loved the PWs, they’re just incredible looking dating back to the first generation. Finding a used one isn’t necessarily the problem, finding the right deal is. There are 22s that have sat for 3 months that are dipping into the mid 50s with lower (20k) mileage. I just scratch my head like, damn I could get a brand new Laramie Hemi for that same money. I’ve always done very well financially when purchasing vehicles especially the last few years but I know I’m going in at probably a very bad time for either truck. I do feel, however, the PW will retain much better value overall.
This logic led to my first new vehicle purchase in 20+ years. The used ones were going for stupid expensive prices and getting new with exactly what I wanted was only like $5000 more than a used one with 20-30 thousand miles on it. Plus, I tend to keep my vehicles for 10+ years if they are reliable.

The good thing is that if you can find a new one on a lot, there seems to be deals returning on those. Used still seems stupid-high, but I'm hearing much more about rebates and incentives on new than I was back in Fall of 2022 when I ordered my truck. Plus, you also have year-end working in favor on new as dealers try to make final sales numbers for the year.

Have you not been able to find any lower mileage used PWs or new ones with money on the hood on lots? I've sort of fallen out of paying attention to that stuff since I took delivery of mine.
You’re not wrong. New ones are dipping into the upper 50s and low 60s, I’m just trying to be lower 50s at most. And with current interest rates plus running it through my LLC, which will drive rate even more, that’s a big chunk. It’s not off the table to get a new one. I’ve had a bad habit of changing vehicles a lot recently and this one, with the house purchase, has to stay awhile. I also work from home so mileage won’t increase much. That’s why I don’t really mind some higher mileage cause my usage will offset it over time.

Decisions decisions… hydro blue PW just looks damn good. As well as olive green

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I’m a bit partial to the hydro color, but olive and red were my runner up colors. I swore no more boring colors after 4 black GM trucks!

I’m hoping to get it out to Moab with the Jeep next year. Just a short 27hr drive from home! That should net me some better action shots than just some parking lot flexing at camp. Haha.

IMG_0050.jpegIMG_6763.jpeg

Enve46

Reaction score
I’m a bit partial to the hydro color, but olive and red were my runner up colors. I swore no more boring colors after 4 black GM trucks!

I’m hoping to get it out to Moab with the Jeep next year. Just a short 27hr drive from home! That should net me some better action shots than just some parking lot flexing at camp. Haha.

View attachment 65072View attachment 65073
Love it.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I went looking for a new TRX when we decided I needed a new truck. Or should I say the wife said I should get one.
Sold my '73 K5 I built for serious desert running and my '01 F250 crew cab I used for hauling race gear.
Decided the TRX was too much money so ordered a '21 75th Power Wagon. 2 1/2 years later and 50K mile's and I don't regret my decision at all.
Did I "need" a new truck? NO!
Did I "need" a PW? NO!
But glad I bought one.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I too have always loved the PWs, they’re just incredible looking dating back to the first generation. Finding a used one isn’t necessarily the problem, finding the right deal is. There are 22s that have sat for 3 months that are dipping into the mid 50s with lower (20k) mileage. I just scratch my head like, damn I could get a brand new Laramie Hemi for that same money. I’ve always done very well financially when purchasing vehicles especially the last few years but I know I’m going in at probably a very bad time for either truck. I do feel, however, the PW will retain much better value overall.

You’re not wrong. New ones are dipping into the upper 50s and low 60s, I’m just trying to be lower 50s at most. And with current interest rates plus running it through my LLC, which will drive rate even more, that’s a big chunk. It’s not off the table to get a new one. I’ve had a bad habit of changing vehicles a lot recently and this one, with the house purchase, has to stay awhile. I also work from home so mileage won’t increase much. That’s why I don’t really mind some higher mileage cause my usage will offset it over time.

Decisions decisions… hydro blue PW just looks damn good. As well as olive green

with Ram coming out with the 10% rebate for November on the 23s, it'd be tough to turn down a 2023 6.4 at a dealer willing to do more than just the rebate.
this is a well equipped Laramie, low 50s should be able to get you a bighorn as long as the dealer is willing to work with you

Enve46

Reaction score
I went looking for a new TRX when we decided I needed a new truck. Or should I say the wife said I should get one.
Sold my '73 K5 I built for serious desert running and my '01 F250 crew cab I used for hauling race gear.
Decided the TRX was too much money so ordered a '21 75th Power Wagon. 2 1/2 years later and 50K mile's and I don't regret my decision at all.
Did I "need" a new truck? NO!
Did I "need" a PW? NO!
But glad I bought one.
Im actually looking at a 21 75th-anniversary truck. I think Ill be happy with one as well. And by the way, Ive had 3 TRXs, an absolute blast to own, drive and extremely comfortable. However, they are stupid expensive which is why I dont have any of them.
with Ram coming out with the 10% rebate for November on the 23s, it'd be tough to turn down a 2023 6.4 at a dealer willing to do more than just the rebate.
this is a well equipped Laramie, low 50s should be able to get you a bighorn as long as the dealer is willing to work with you

Im in talks with them as well. Its tough not to consider a brand new truck with the added features, warranty etc... If I can't deal with a used PW to get the price point I want, Ill go with a new 6.4

Firebird

Reaction score
Im actually looking at a 21 75th-anniversary truck. I think Ill be happy with one as well. And by the way, Ive had 3 TRXs, an absolute blast to own, drive and extremely comfortable. However, they are stupid expensive which is why I dont have any of them.

Im in talks with them as well. Its tough not to consider a brand new truck with the added features, warranty etc... If I can't deal with a used PW to get the price point I want, Ill go with a new 6.4
My buddy has a 75th, that's one awesome truck!

Users who are viewing this thread