Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used AlfaOBD to program TPMS and Tire size.. it worked, but with ABS/Camera faults?

Brav

Reaction score
Checked my speedo - reads 1 to 2 mph over GPS. fine with me, close enough. Probably factory specs. TPMS warning is gone. The only bummer was that when I backed out of garage, the rear camera gave me a blue screen. Hitting surround camera shows black screen.

Went for a test drive, and after 2 miles or so, I got an ABS/traction control warning. Code was for wrong steering angle sensor input..

Anyone have any ideas?

MikeXM

Reaction score
Seems like it changed a lot of things that it wasn't supposed to. You noticed 2 things already. What else was changed without your knowledge?

I would revert to factory. But again, if it is so bugged, can you trust it?

U

User_1648

@Brav - not sure if you did this, but there are a few additional inputs you need to do in Alfaobd when you change the tire size. I have included the procedure I used and have zero faults or inability to use back-up cameras, etc. See the attached PDF file.

Basically, right after you enter the tire size circumference and press "start" (cycle to off, wait a minute, and then back to run) - you need to go back into Alfaobd and select:

Note - you're going to get a bunch of flashing lights and alarms - the following will clear them up.
  1. Your truck model
  2. ABS
  3. ABS Ate/Continental
    This is now ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet MY2019+ PowerNet (or MY2013-18 PowerNet)
  4. Click the "hood open" icon at the bottom
  5. Select "ABS Initialization" from the drop down (read the instructions)
  6. Press Start
  7. Back to the drop down and select "Static ECU Initialization"
  8. Press Start
  9. Click on the "check engine" icon at the bottom
  10. Select "Clear Faults"
  11. Cycle the key to off and then back to run
  12. Click back on the "hood open" icon
  13. Select "Clearing Rolls Information" from the drop down (should be at the bottom of the list)
  14. Cycle key again
  15. Although it doesn't say it, I would click on the "check engine" icon one more time and clear faults
  16. Turn key off and disconnect everything (OBDII connector, etc.)
  17. Start your truck up and take it for a spin
When I entered the circumference for my new tire size, I used the actual measured size from the manufacturer. For example - I have 37" tires, but they actually measure 36.54". I used the tire size calculator in the Alfaobd thread on the other Ram Forum and came up with the correct number to enter...and it worked!

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Alfaobd - Tire Size.pdf
    435.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:

Brav

Reaction score
Thank you!! I think I followed all of this but looks like there is one more step I didn’t do so I will try again. My camera came back later. Works fine now. Hopefully it stays that way.

I was trying to not clear any faults from the engine control module, I think I just had to clear the body control and ABS, right? I am waiting for my emissions readiness to be clear so I can register in California.. it’s a nightmare. If I clear engine codes I have to start waiting all over again. Been hundreds of miles and it ready yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Checked my speedo - reads 1 to 2 mph over GPS. fine with me, close enough. Probably factory specs. TPMS warning is gone. The only bummer was that when I backed out of garage, the rear camera gave me a blue screen. Hitting surround camera shows black screen.

Went for a test drive, and after 2 miles or so, I got an ABS/traction control warning. Code was for wrong steering angle sensor input..

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Brav,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided here and you decide to address this with your dealer, please know that our team is just a private message away and we are always happy to provide support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Brav

Reaction score
@RugbyRef

Thank you sir, seem to have gotten it resolved. I think it was either the Clearing Rolls part which I don't remember from before, or the clearing of the engine ECU. I gave in and cleared the engine ECU as I had a VSS fault, and voila - everything works with no codes.

HOWEVER.. now I have to wait an eternity for the emissions readiness for my registration....

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Jumping into this old thread to see if any can help.
2020 3500 CTD.
I am trying to change tire size and have followed all the procedures online that seem to work for most but when I get to the end of the procedure I cannot find CLEARING ROLLS INFORMATION.
This leaves me with the faults check engine, abs, electronic throttle control lit up on the dash. I have AlphaOBD on both Windows and Android and do not see the clearing rolls option on either version. I have searched thoroughly and see no one else having this problem. Can anyone offer help?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The latest AlfaOBD for Android is broken AFAIK.

I had to use the Windows version and force it to 2019 BCM to adjust mine last time. You have to use advanced mode and force it to the 2019 ABS module after connecting.

I suppose I should send an email to Alex @alfaOBD, but I thought he would already know this to be an issue.

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Thanks to Brutal I am able to clear all alarms and change tire size on my 2020.
You must be on Windows version, advanced mode, ABS Ate/Continental and force it into MY2013-2018 PowerNet in order to get all options on the drop-down menu.
Do not let it disconnect or idle at any moment throughout the process.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
"ABS Ate/Continental and force it into MY2013-2018 PowerNet "

Yea, that was it. I wasn't thinking clearly and didn't have that laptop when I posted.

Glad you got it sorted out!

I did mine on the road with Android after dropping my wife at the airport and had to drive it home with everything lit up. Took a while to figure it out, but knowing that the module(s) auto-select on the Android version is problematic helps.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Alex@alfaobd just emailed and said this bug will be fixed in the next update expected to push out this weekend.

Did anybody notice if this was fixed in the promised update?

DownShiftz

Reaction score
Have not checked my Android version. But on windows it is kinda fixed. You can now use either the 2013-2018 or 2019+ My PowerNet to get to Clear Rolls Information in the drop down menu.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Have not checked my Android version. But on windows it is kinda fixed. You can now use either the 2013-2018 or 2019+ My PowerNet to get to Clear Rolls Information in the drop down menu.

Thanks, I think I will download the Windows version tonight.

delmoniCO

Reaction score
Strugglin with this one. Followed the GoogleDrive document... christmas tree city. Followed the directions like 20 times. No luck. Any help? Using Android.

ETA: Finally got everything cleared. No damn clue how but I think it was waiting 2 full minutes on OFF for every key cycle and waiting a minute or so on RUN for all the modules to self-check and initialize before changing anything in Alfa. Also, don't forget you're entering CIRCUMFERENCE not diameter in mm. Made that mistake on round 1.

Last edited:

Bmad20

Reaction score
@Brav - not sure if you did this, but there are a few additional inputs you need to do in Alfaobd when you change the tire size. I have included the procedure I used and have zero faults or inability to use back-up cameras, etc. See the attached PDF file.

Basically, right after you enter the tire size circumference and press "start" (cycle to off, wait a minute, and then back to run) - you need to go back into Alfaobd and select:

Note - you're going to get a bunch of flashing lights and alarms - the following will clear them up.
  1. Your truck model
  2. ABS
  3. ABS Ate/Continental
  4. Click the "hood open" icon at the bottom
  5. Select "ABS Initialization" from the drop down (read the instructions)
  6. Press Start
  7. Back to the drop down and select "Static ECU Initialization"
  8. Press Start
  9. Click on the "check engine" icon at the bottom
  10. Select "Clear Faults"
  11. Cycle the key to off and then back to run
  12. Click back on the "hood open" icon
  13. Select "Clearing Rolls Information" from the drop down (should be at the bottom of the list)
  14. Cycle key again
  15. Although it doesn't say it, I would click on the "check engine" icon one more time and clear faults
  16. Turn key off and disconnect everything (OBDII connector, etc.)
  17. Start your truck up and take it for a spin
When I entered the circumference for my new tire size, I used the actual measured size from the manufacturer. For example - I have 37" tires, but they actually measure 36.54". I used the tire size calculator in the Alfaobd thread on the other Ram Forum and came up with the correct number to enter...and it worked!

Hope this
This was a lifesaver. I followed the instructions on the PDF and was able to fix all warnings that I was getting after changing tire size. I appreciate this.. Also, using the android version with no issues. 2019 Ram Power Wagon

Last edited by a moderator:

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Hey all, I need some help I just attempted this on my 2019 2500 and everything went fine the first change but it was slightly off so I tried a second time and now I cannot get rid of service trailer brake and service electronic stability control. I have tried going through the process multiple times again and have disconnected my batteries for 15 minutes and cannot clear these two warnings. I found a thread in another ram forum where a guy with the same warnings I have had to take his truck to the dealer because Alfa had wiped out the software on these two systems, his rig was a 2020 power wagon. Any ideas? I am stumped. Also, what are you all selecting when you go into engine to clear the codes? I have a 6.7 so I have been trying to use 2014-17 6.7 since there is no option for +19 for the engine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, I need some help I just attempted this on my 2019 2500 and everything went fine the first change but it was slightly off so I tried a second time and now I cannot get rid of service trailer brake and service electronic stability control. I have tried going through the process multiple times again and have disconnected my batteries for 15 minutes and cannot clear these two warnings. I found a thread in another ram forum where a guy with the same warnings I have had to take his truck to the dealer because Alfa had wiped out the software on these two systems, his rig was a 2020 power wagon. Any ideas? I am stumped. Also, what are you all selecting when you go into engine to clear the codes? I have a 6.7 so I have been trying to use 2014-17 6.7 since there is no option for +19 for the engine.
It's probably codes that are not clearing, I've run into this.

If you need to select engine ECU to clear faults, use Diesel Cummins I6 6.7L.

If that doesn't work, I've had to use another app on occasion to clear codes (Torque works).

Cummins3

Reaction score
I did this for my 2019 and still have all lights in dash is it different for 2019+???

Users who are viewing this thread