Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates on 6.4 ticking/clicking

whitexc

Reaction score
So they have you driving it? They recognize it as a bad engine and let it go? You should be in a loaner until it’s resolved.

Sent from me

WildBill138

Reaction score
Yes. They wouldnt give me a loaner for the week they had it nor for the future. I am back in my truck until a new engine comes in. Assuming they send it.
Also i use this dealership because its the only one resonably close to me, and most of all they sold it to me.

I do have another vehicle i will daily. I wouldnt want my vehicle sitting at a shop for months rotting. I know how shops treat storage vehicles. Not what youd want.
This should really be normal protocol for backorder parts, release running vehicle and wait for parts and service date.

Last edited:

Grey

Reaction score
I agree on the sitting: Here is what I do when my Vettes need service. I make sure I take care of the service manager, box of good cigars, good bottle of scotch, cash whatever. H e makes sure my cars are set off separate inside and stayed covered, with a stern wearing. Do not mess this one up. Never hurts to have a good man inside looking out.

Firebird

Reaction score
I agree on the sitting: Here is what I do when my Vettes need service. I make sure I take care of the service manager, box of good cigars, good bottle of scotch, cash whatever. H e makes sure my cars are set off separate inside and stayed covered, with a stern wearing. Do not mess this one up. Never hurts to have a good man inside looking out.
When I had my 1946 Cadillac, my mechanic was OCD when he had my car. He would even tie up a lift so that nobody could touch it while it was in his posession

JimKIII

Reaction score
Got the truck back from the dealership.
Metal shavings were found in the oil control valve. Service bulletin says replace engine.
Metal shavings are found on oil control valve when lifters are scraping the cam lobe. Or flat spotting the cam as the mechanic said from lifters.

The cause is widely said to be bad metalurgy batches of the lifter roller bearings.
(Basically the rollers on the end of the lifter that roll on the oval cam lobe stop rolling). Or other hydraulic lifter failures. The failure causes scraping during rotation of the cam sending metal shavings thru your oil and into your cylinders damaging the entire engine block. It would be hard to believe its actually flawed design on an engine that has been in challengers, chargers, jeeps and rams since 2014.

So the dealership is sending pictures to Stellantis, requesting a new engine. I was warned that 6.4s are on back order so it may take weeks. Its been about a week and i am waiting aproval from Ram for the new engine request.

Honestly I am fine with all of that as long as warranty takes care of it and gets me a new engine in a reasonable amount of time. The ram has been great, tows well, still tight at 30k miles. I would buy again if they cover their uncommon manufacturer defects. I dont think anyone would buy a truck that has engine failures at 30k, so im sure they will fix it.

Also for the record i stood next to new challenger 6.4 idling, no ticking at all, pretty quiet.
As far as wait time, expect several weeks. My transmission went out at 26k miles - metal shavings in the pan, which is a fluke I'm told. My truck was at the dealers for two months before I drove it home. To be fair, most of that time was waiting for parts, which is out of the dealer's hands. Good luck!

WildBill138

Reaction score
3 weeks today. Dealer has not contacted me about resolving the bad engine. Im not sure how long a company is allowed to make people wait for warranty work. Im not sure if im even on the list for backordered engines yet.
A warranty isnt very useful if it takes 6 months to repair a car. Most people need their cars for work. The reason you purchase a new vehicle is to have reliability for the next 4-5 years at least. Trucks should be 10, years, 200k miles. Or i would buy a different truck.

WildBill138

Reaction score
I will wait for a decent response from the dealer i purchased the truck from but it does seem like they are close to being out of time legally. Id be ok waiting, but they should be bending over backwards as they fail to abide by warranty laws. This isnt a ferrari, Ram makes hundreds of thousands of these trucks. This should be basic stuff.
From what ive gathered on several websites
California Lemon Law states
"If the vehicle has been in the shop for over 30 days for any number of issues."
"This law states that if the manufacturer or its representative in this state, such as an authorized dealer, is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle to meet the terms of an express written warranty after a reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer is required promptly to replace the vehicle or return the purchase price to the buyer."
"Legal coverage also applies to a car warranty repair taking too long. A repair that takes more than a month qualifies, even if it isn’t consecutive. You can choose a new automobile or ask the carmaker to pay for a refund. Your claim can then be marked as complete, assuming the dealer and manufacturer comply with the law"
"In California, for example, the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act requires that if a manufacturer or its authorized dealer is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle to meet the terms of an express written warranty after a reasonable number of attempts (as described above), the manufacturer must replace the vehicle or return the purchase price to the buyer."

Luckily i do have the truck in my posession, just waiting for service to call me about the work needed, or i would be pissed at 30 days with no work done.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Check out the running post on my transmission R&R. My dealer sent me frequent text msg updates including a parts list when they finally tracked down the parts. There's also a timeline from dropping off my truck to picking it up with the new tranny installed. Ask the same of your dealer. Their response to your issues will make or break whether you ever recommend them to anyone.

WildBill138

Reaction score
I will check it out. Thanks Jim. I was clear about what i expected as far as communication.
After a couple tries i got in contact with the service manager today. Im not sure exactly what happened in their department, but i was transfered to someone else and Ram has an engine for me, and scheduled a date for the repair in a couple weeks. Ramcares may have helped as i did message them. But we will see when the truck gets in and out of the shop. If all goes as they claim than the system works and id be happy with my perfect running 2500 again. So i will give updates and review at that time. Hopefully not too long from now.

WildBill138

Reaction score
UPDATE.
after contacting RAM cares about the delay in my dealerships repair request.
An engine magically appeared the next day at my dealership with my name on it.
The engine was installed in one week.
2 weeks ago i drove it home, and a check engine light came on. The code read p0330, meaning passenger side knock sensor circuit malfunction.
The following day I contacted the dealership that had done the repair and asked to bring it back in.
The manager responded saying he would try to schedule me an apointment. That was 2 weeks ago.
I contacted them last week, no response.
Yesterday i noticed my oil temps were climbing past 230 while my coolant was 215ish. I tried the heater, it blows cold, so i think there is air in the system. I started another thread on that.

My update and review as of now are, engine replacement was green lit by ram, whoever spent a week installing the engine didnt check his work . There is air in the cooling system, no heat, and CEL on, with no response from the dealership.
Im confused about my dealership because they have the nicest hellcat challengers ive ever seen in there.
Screenshot_20240413-154731_Gallery.jpg

WildBill138

Reaction score
Update 2 after new engine.
Engine is doing well.
I had my dealership bleed air from radiator.
Had an older mechanic foreman check it all out and re bleed the radiator, watched and talked to him the whole time.
Took him 10 minutes for that, 5 to check the codes and Heater.
We came to the conclusion that the Heater core must have be stuck due to obstruction or electronic door not opening. I said i could tackle that on my own instead of waiting all day for it.
Knock sensor cleared up and hasent come back.

So the truck should be good to go for another 200k miles.
The problems seem to lie at the service desks, the service reps cant do their only job of communicating with the customers what the mechanics diagnose, nor do they do it in a timely fasion and there is no excuse for that. By my math a service rep can talk to 96 people for 5 minutes each during an 8 hr shift.
Maybe they need to cut the reps in half and double the mechanics, and just have the mechanics tell you whats wrong with it.
Then the service vultures can try to gauge you with 'hourly' rates.

Users who are viewing this thread