Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates on 6.4 ticking/clicking

WildBill138

Reaction score
Do you all notice your 6.4 hemi clicking or ticking at idle. Especially noticeable in traffic or drive thrus? Or is my engine especially noisy?
Trying to get some up to date 2019-2023 feedback on how other 6.4 hemi engines sound.
Ive had my 2022 2500 tradesman since new. 16 miles new. Always clicked like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke when coasting down hill, and could hear the echo against the canyon walls. When in a parking lot, cold or after an hour drive its the same. I hear it click very uniformly about as fast as one can pronounce click click click click.

It sputters a little after revving like valve lash then back to the clicking. Very audible when you stick your head in the wheel well. It has 30,000 miles on it now, ive done every oil change by the book, myself with pup 0-40, mopar filter, even use a torque wrench at spec on the drain plug. Ive watched the oil pressures curiously since day one, always been 50 cold, 50 while above 2k rpm, 30 at hot idle. And i may have been a racecar mechanic for a bit.
Last oil change i noticed for the first time ever the clicking went away. For about 5 mins when the oil was cold, it was so quiet, it didnt sound like a sewing machine! Drove it 30 mins, listened in the parking lot and it was back to clicking loudly as usual.
Heres the video
Ive seen all the youtubes on the roller lifters being prone to failure and grinding the cam away slowly. But no one has said here is what my bad lifter sounds like BEFORE replacing the cam. I know you can pull the oil control valve and check for metals shavings from the cam. I guess im bound to do that soon.

Basically i dont know what a normal engine sounds like vs a slowly failing lifter.
Seen the exhaust leak videos, which dont quite resemble this and the headers are solidly bolted on the block, tho that doesnt mean they arent leaking some exhaust sound.

Do you guys recognize what im describing, do the hemis sound like this?

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
I’m thinking you are experiencing the classic Hemi “chirp” that so many of us complain about. Mine (‘21 with 20k miles) does it all the time but is more pronounced during cold idle. It is my understanding the problem lies in the design of the manifold/y pipe coming off the engine. I have mentioned it to my dealer at maintenance time and “the engine and exhaust components operate as intended”.

Sent from me

JimKIII

Reaction score
Your description implies the ticking is much more pronounced than the typical hemi tick I've read about. That tick usually seems to go away after warming up. Yours is continuous and seems pretty obnoxiously loud.

I'm pleased to say that I've never heard the hemi tick in my truck. Am I lucky? Possibly in the tick category. But I'm unlucky in another category, because the rock-solid near-bullet-proof ZF-8HP transmission failed in mine at 28K miles. Metal shavings in the pan so everything's being replaced. It's been in the shop for near six weeks.

WildBill138

Reaction score
Hmm. Went into the dealership today. I have a friendly dealership. As i parked in the service hallway idling, 3 service advisors came out and all said they heard it ticking a bit. Talked to the service manager who said they hear it, but dont know if its an exhaust leak sound or a lifter or what. The only way to find out is to tear into it.
They said its ok for now, and to bring it in on your scheduled date and they will check the exhaust manifold somehow,.

One guy said it sounds like an exhaust leak. So hopefully just that, or will throw a code before totally breaking going down the road.
I just wanted to see if your trucks were clicky like mine so i dont worry about it. I think the dealer says go about your day, if it breaks its under warranty for 2 more years. Which i suppose is what its for and keeps me happy with the RAM. It is a very good truck. Its just a wee baby.

Last edited:

JimKIII

Reaction score
It seems these days the only way to get a dealer to troubleshoot anything is if a code gets thrown. In some cases I can see that's not bad policy - but it's always the policy now. The techs either have lost or never had the ability to do real troubleshooting. "Yep, sompin's wrong for sure. But no code, so we'll just wait until the whole shebang blows up. That'll throw some codes!!! Har Har! We find it easier to drop in an entire new engine than trouble ourselves in finding the actual problem. Come back when she grenades! We'll keep the light on fer ya."

Firebird

Reaction score
I've been fortunate in that none of my Hemi's have ticked. My 2021 Durango RT is smooth, but I do run Redline 5w30 in it. I have read about the superior quality of Redline, so have been using it every change, and zero issues to date. Thought I would try the Redline 0w40 in my new Laramie.

flan

Reaction score
I've been fortunate in that none of my Hemi's have ticked. My 2021 Durango RT is smooth, but I do run Redline 5w30 in it. I have read about the superior quality of Redline, so have been using it every change, and zero issues to date. Thought I would try the Redline 0w40 in my new Laramie.
Does your RT call for 5/30? Mine calls for 0/20 syn.

whitexc

Reaction score
That is not the Hemi “chirp” I spoke of and if it were mine I’d be concerned. Use that warranty!

Sent from me

WildBill138

Reaction score
Heres another video of the ticking up close from under the car and over the open engine bay for comparison between injectors and underside.
At 1 minute in the video you get right to the sound at the passenger exhaust manifold connection. Could it be making this sound from there? Or is this internal?

WildBill138

Reaction score
I took it to my local dealer, trying to set up a mechanic sooner than currently scheduled. Service desk just looked at it while it ticked. And said yup. I called another dealer for an earlier date. Nothing available. Calling a different one tomorrow to ask if they have a car for me to use meantime or if they can diagnose it quickly.

OffRoad2500RAM

Reaction score
Do you all notice your 6.4 hemi clicking or ticking at idle. Especially noticeable in traffic or drive thrus? Or is my engine especially noisy?
Trying to get some up to date 2019-2023 feedback on how other 6.4 hemi engines sound.
Ive had my 2022 2500 tradesman since new. 16 miles new. Always clicked like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke when coasting down hill, and could hear the echo against the canyon walls. When in a parking lot, cold or after an hour drive its the same. I hear it click very uniformly about as fast as one can pronounce click click click click.

It sputters a little after revving like valve lash then back to the clicking. Very audible when you stick your head in the wheel well. It has 30,000 miles on it now, ive done every oil change by the book, myself with pup 0-40, mopar filter, even use a torque wrench at spec on the drain plug. Ive watched the oil pressures curiously since day one, always been 50 cold, 50 while above 2k rpm, 30 at hot idle. And i may have been a racecar mechanic for a bit.
Last oil change i noticed for the first time ever the clicking went away. For about 5 mins when the oil was cold, it was so quiet, it didnt sound like a sewing machine! Drove it 30 mins, listened in the parking lot and it was back to clicking loudly as usual.
Heres the video
Ive seen all the youtubes on the roller lifters being prone to failure and grinding the cam away slowly. But no one has said here is what my bad lifter sounds like BEFORE replacing the cam. I know you can pull the oil control valve and check for metals shavings from the cam. I guess im bound to do that soon.

Basically i dont know what a normal engine sounds like vs a slowly failing lifter.
Seen the exhaust leak videos, which dont quite resemble this and the headers are solidly bolted on the block, tho that doesnt mean they arent leaking some exhaust sound.

Do you guys recognize what im describing, do the hemis sound like this?
That is without a doubt the first signs of the exhaust manifold gaskets leaking as a result of one, - four of the manifold bolts breaking. Having mine repaired right now. It’s typical on the 5.7 - 6.4 Hemi engines. They all eventually do this.

When it gets worse you will smell the exhaust inside the truck when you run the heat or A/C. If you’re not up for the repair yourself, find a shop that knows how to extract bolts and have them repair it. The Dealer will insist on new manifolds and their repair quote will be around $2500+/- out the door.

Rest easy, the motor does not sound like it has the valve lifter tick which is from long OCI’s and or bad luck.

Grey

Reaction score
Memory serves <questionable depending on the day of the week> the 6.4 has stainless manifold studs to correct that issue. I think my 5.7 needs a manifold job now 130,000 miles can't fuss to much on that.

Firebird

Reaction score
Memory serves <questionable depending on the day of the week> the 6.4 has stainless manifold studs to correct that issue. I think my 5.7 needs a manifold job now 130,000 miles can't fuss to much on that.
Haven't heard that, but would sure be nice

WildBill138

Reaction score
That is without a doubt the first signs of the exhaust manifold gaskets leaking
Yo im thinking the same. Did yours tick more when hot? Mine seems to leak more if its hot, kindof randomly too. I hope thats all it is. It is under waranty for another 20k. Almost sounds like it might be where the header bolts to the cat pipe. It goes in next week. I have another truck i drive. (Gm t800 5.3 thing is actually indestructible)

Christofo

Reaction score
Mine ticks but damn, yours sounds horrible - approaching the level of a knock not a tick.

WildBill138

Reaction score
Got the truck back from the dealership.
Metal shavings were found in the oil control valve. Service bulletin says replace engine.
Metal shavings are found on oil control valve when lifters are scraping the cam lobe. Or flat spotting the cam as the mechanic said from lifters.

The cause is widely said to be bad metalurgy batches of the lifter roller bearings.
(Basically the rollers on the end of the lifter that roll on the oval cam lobe stop rolling). Or other hydraulic lifter failures. The failure causes scraping during rotation of the cam sending metal shavings thru your oil and into your cylinders damaging the entire engine block. It would be hard to believe its actually flawed design on an engine that has been in challengers, chargers, jeeps and rams since 2014.

So the dealership is sending pictures to Stellantis, requesting a new engine. I was warned that 6.4s are on back order so it may take weeks. Its been about a week and i am waiting aproval from Ram for the new engine request.

Honestly I am fine with all of that as long as warranty takes care of it and gets me a new engine in a reasonable amount of time. The ram has been great, tows well, still tight at 30k miles. I would buy again if they cover their uncommon manufacturer defects. I dont think anyone would buy a truck that has engine failures at 30k, so im sure they will fix it.

Also for the record i stood next to new challenger 6.4 idling, no ticking at all, pretty quiet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread