Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UPDATED] Adding Front ParkSense on a Tradesman

Aquaholic

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how to add rear sensors.
To me it seems like rear sensor should not be an option my truck didn’t come with them

01Time

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how to add rear sensors.
To me it seems like rear sensor should not be an option my truck didn’t come with them
These part numbers are based of a 2020 2500 with sales code XAA (rear park sense): You'd need the module (68366716AF is the rear only park assist module), four sensors (6MK25TZZA), two rear bumper valences (right -> 68451134AA and left -> 68451135AA), and probably the most difficult aspect, the wiring harness (52112732AE) - because you will likely need additional wiring to the BCM, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Attachments

• 2605.02 - PARK ASSIST Rear.pdf
    186.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 310 - BUMPER, REAR.pdf
    358.5 KB · Views: 11

raven_dt

Reaction score
These part numbers are based of a 2020 2500 with sales code XAA (rear park sense): You'd need the module (68366716AF is the rear only park assist module), four sensors (6MK25TZZA), two rear bumper valences (right -> 68451134AA and left -> 68451135AA), and probably the most difficult aspect, the wiring harness (52112732AE) - because you will likely need additional wiring to the BCM, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Are these good part numbers for 2021 trucks?

01Time

Reaction score
The program I use only goes up to early production 2021 to filter by VIN, but it still gives a list of parts. Attached is the list from above for 2021...they do appear to be the same.

Attachments

• 310 - BUMPER, REAR.pdf
    363.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2615 - PARK ASSIST, REAR Rear.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 12

leetecjm

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out which on of the green canbus as I see 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leetecjm

Reaction score
I can’t get mine to work in my 2021 Laramie CC when I log into the module it has vehicle line mismatch if I clear the code it works for 1 second

01Time

Reaction score
I can’t get mine to work in my 2021 Laramie CC when I log into the module it has vehicle line mismatch if I clear the code it works for 1 second

Does the 'Vehicle Line' section in AlfaOBD match your vehicle type? I think that error shows up when the vehicle line in AlfaOBD doesn't match what the BCM is reporting.

leetecjm

Reaction score
Does the 'Vehicle Line' section in AlfaOBD match your vehicle type? I think that error shows up when the vehicle line in AlfaOBD doesn't match what the BCM is reporting.
I changed the Vehicle line from DD to D2 in the BCM with alfaobd so my truck thinks it is a pickup , I had to do this to get my blind spot monitor and power tail gate to work as i added a bed to my CC,
everything else it working including power folding mirror and 360 surround view cams, i think i need to change something else but i cannot figure out what,

01Time

Reaction score
I changed the Vehicle line from DD to D2 in the BCM with alfaobd so my truck thinks it is a pickup , I had to do this to get my blind spot monitor and power tail gate to work as i added a bed to my CC,
everything else it working including power folding mirror and 360 surround view cams, i think i need to change something else but i cannot figure out what,
I'm not sure what you would need to do to work around this. I'd suggest creating a separate thread as this relates to a broader AlfaOBD question and not specific to adding ParkSense and you might have a better chance of getting more input.

leetecjm

Reaction score
Also if I change it back to DD only the fronts work perfectly, the rear is saying Off

leetecjm

Reaction score
I changed the module to the old version from a 2019 Part # 68366715AF and the rear started working but not the front LOL
If I put the new one 68480723AA only the front works

leetecjm

Reaction score
I enable front and rear in the cluster as I do not have a switch

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
I started off putting together a How-To in pdf for others in case they wanted to add front parking sensors, but I'm on page 16 and I keep adding more! I don't think people want to read that much stuff on a fairly basic install. But if there's interest, I will finish it up and post it...but in the meantime, here is the scoop:

These are the parts I used:

Mopar Part#QtyDescription
68480723AA
Park Assist Module [Rear & Front]
68375193AB
Instrument Panel Switch [Diesel Brake, Tow/Haul, Rear & Front Sensors]
68384294AA
Lower Grille
68449575AA
Bumper Bracket Kit
6MK25TZZAA
Park Assist Sensor, Inboard
5YV68TZZAA
Park Assist Sensor, Outboard
68449338AA
Fog Lamp Bezel Kit (LED fog lamps)
In some part diagrams it will mention Sensor Decoupler Rings (68271824AA) as a required part – all my sensors came with the decoupler rings, and I did not need to buy them. (They're the small rubber rings that go around the sensor.)

If you have halogen fog lights, the part number for the bezels for parking sensors is 68449343AA. There are no bezels for parking sensors without fog lights.

In addition to the above parts, I needed a front facia harness that has the sensor connectors (68377334AD). But it had to be modified (@Jimmy07) as my truck did not have the necessary wiring. I also added fog lights at the same time and had that built into the harness as well. The wiring harness is two parts that connect behind and below the driver side headlight - one part runs from the bumper into the cab to get wired into the truck, the other is the sensor connectors that runs the length of the front fascia.

The wiring is pretty straight forward, one end of the wiring harness has eight terminals that you put into connector XY402A, which is on the left side of the firewall. It's not too difficult to get to:
View attachment 19503

For reference, below on the right photo, you can see the OBD2 plug and the emergency brake, to the right and left of the connector, respectively. The left photo is a close-up photo of XY402A:
View attachment 19504

The Park Assist Module itself is easy to remove, it's in the driver side kick panel and is secured by one push-pin:
View attachment 19506 View attachment 19507
The switch bank at the bottom of the radio/media stack is secured by a couple of screws and tabs and it's removal is fairly intuitive.

I couldn't get the bumper off, so I had to go by a body shop (cheaper labor rate than a mechanic) to have them remove the bumper. Once the bumper was off, it was easy to swap the fog light bezels, lower grille, and run the front fascia harness. There's not much excess length in the harness, so I'd recommend starting on the passenger side fog light bezel and work to the driver side.

Here are the AlfaOBD settings that I used:

VehConfig 1:
PTS Config ->
FRONT & REAR
Cust.Set.Menu 1:
Park Assist CSM Present ->
FEATURE 1 - 2 OPTION
Cust.Set.Menu 1:
Park Assist Brake CSM Present ->
NO
Cust.Set.Menu 1:
Park Assist Front Volume CSM Present ->
YES
Parktronics:​
Park Assist Tuning Set ->
10 CHANNEL/BUX REAR ONLY/SUMMIT

In the end, I spent about $450 on parts and another $150 in labor. It's the first 'option' I've installed that cost more than it would have getting it as an added option. Well, kinda - I have a Tradesman and front parking sensors aren't an option until you get to a Big Horn. So, in that regard it's kinda like adding passive entry - it's not an available option for my trim level, but to have a truck that has the option would have cost me much more than what it cost to install.

NOTE: Must have existing Rear ParkSense (or adding it also) to add Front ParkSense.
Did you ever finish your PDF on the install?

Users who are viewing this thread