Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on Dealership Issue

Ramman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I wanted to give everyone here an update on the following original post I had made.

"I have about 1300 Miles on mine at this point. I have had one issue so far, neither the fault of RAM or it's build quality. Apparently when I got my new wheels/tires put on my truck, the shop failed to plug back in my Transfer Case Control Module. Somehow or another, this ended up frying the part and needed to be replaced. No big deal, the shop that caused the issue is paying for all parts and labor. With that being said, I have had the most terrible experience at my local dealer humanly possible.

I ended up dropping my truck off on May 20th so they could diagnose the problem, and ensure that was the only thing that had been broken. On the 27th I call in and ask about the status of my truck, and was told the part was being ordered etc. On the 28th they called me back and said STAR, a program through MOPAR apparently would not let them order the part. However, they said I could come pick up my truck and drive it until they get the part ordered. So I was already a little angry they had my truck for 9 days, and did not call me and tell me this sooner, as I had been getting rides to work with people and was ready for this to be over.

However, the story does not end there. The service person pulled my truck around and I went to go get back into it. I opened my door and noticed that they had not even put my truck back together. My floor mats were just thrown onto my seat. There were pieces from under the dash laying on my floorboard. Wires were left unplugged under my vehicle, and they had somehow gotten globs of engine oil all over my center console, and arm rest. Needless to say I went in and raised hell, spoke to the GM, got a loaner vehicle while they said they would "Detail" my truck. They finally brought my truck back to me yesterday, I told them they could come get the loaner from my house, and drop my truck off, they had wasted enough of my time at this point. Well, I guess detailing of a truck to them means throwing some tire shine on the tires, and not even cleaning the interior. At least the truck was back together. (I also took pictures of the interior, as well as the wiring underneath the truck, and the oil stains before I let them "fix" it.)

Anyways, I have a permanent oil stain on my center console now. I ended up calling corporate and complaining, more to be heard with that. In the end I also spoke to a customer service rep at a call center who said I could order the part I need myself, that the dealer mysteriously couldn't order in 9 days. She was able to look in the file apparently and find the part number, and was nice enough to actually tell me what it was, so I went ahead and did that. I figure I'll play the old game of, who gets it first. Anyways, I'm not impressed with my local dealership. I will not be returning there ever again. They wouldn't even tell me what part needs to be replaced. Obviously because they're billing the shop that caused the issue, they don't want them just ordering the part and putting it in for me. I spoke to the shop that caused the initial problem, and they're ordering the part as well, so hopefully this fixes it. If not they have already approved me taking it to a different dealership if that does not for some reason fix the problem.

My guess on RAM putting a hold on the part was that this dealership tried to get the part replaced under warranty, so they could pocket all the cash from the shop paying for it, and get reimbursed from RAM at the same time. RAM probably asked questions on why a TCCM failed at 1300 miles, and they got caught. Who knows at this point. I'm not even sure now that I have my truck back and caused such a stink that they will even order the part or call me back. It was hard enough to get a call returned while my truck was there. Regardless, after what I saw, I'm afraid for them to even touch my truck again. I was honestly so angry I considered driving down to the Ford dealership and trading the truck in on a F-250, because I was never treated like that there. Oh well, day 11 without 4WD. Hopefully this problem will be resolved sometime in the next week."

With that story being said. I ended up going back into the dealership. Along with my photographic evidence of the above situations I took in their lot when they tried to give me the truck back. The dealership tried to tell me that the oil stains on my center console was not oil, but defective parts in the truck (as this would somehow ease my mind). Keep in mind, the GM of the dealership stuck his hand into the oil and was the one who immediately gave me a loaner when I had originally found my truck in pieces upon delivery. I also ended up finding out that I had an oil stain about 3x3" on my passenger seat where someone had sat on it with oil on their pants, they also never corrected the unplugged wiring with the truck, and left snaps hanging from the wiring (I thought they had). The only resolution the dealer could come up with was to have it "detailed" again. Of course, at a later date. Needless to say I raised hell again. And told them they weren't detailing it, they were going to replace the parts. They told me they would not do that.

As of today, I still have not been contacted about the original part, given any updates, nor asked to bring my vehicle back to be detailed. No additional parts that were damaged have been ordered still, including the floor liner they scratched up like a cat. The dealership also tried to hide the original part number for the initial issue from me until I got so loud and angry they pretty much had to give it to me so I would leave.

Needless to say, I traded the truck in Saturday with 1,300 miles on it for a 2019 F-250. At this point in my life, I do not have the time nor patience to deal with problems like this. As a customer I expect my time, money, and property to be treated with respect, something this dealership trampled on time and time again. I'm sad to say, the RAM was a nice truck, and I was happy with it. But the next dealer is almost 40 minutes away, and that's not something I was interested in dealing with knowing that things do go wrong on trucks, I'd rather deal with someone closer to me. All in all, this entire experience occurred over a $315 part that should have been a simple order, and we will call you when it comes in type of thing.

I wish everyone here good luck, and I hope everyone here has a much better service experience than I did. Especially if you run into issues. I will pop in from time to time and say Hi to everyone!

Last edited:

TonyT

Reaction score
It's unfortunate that so many dealerships out there operate like this. There's no reason for games, or trying to do the minimum to get you out of their hair and move on. It goes a long way to just take responsibility and spend some money to retain a customer.

labjr1

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is become the rule in dealerships instead of the exception. I tried to book an appointment to bring my truck into my dealership for a faulty backup camera (400 miles on the truck). I called, was put on hold and hung up after 20 minutes. Called back an hour later, was put on hold, hung up after 20 minutes. I then tried to book the appointment online but once I filled out my information the web site informed me that it was unable to book my appointment online and that someone would call me - which they never did. I then tried to use their chat feature and after giving my information again the person in chat informed me that they could not book appointments for the dealership but that they would have someone call me. 4 hours later I get a call from a salesman trying to sell me a 2019 RAM 3500 - because the person in chat gave him my information and told him I was looking to buy a new truck. My previous dealership was even worse and their ONE diesel mechanic was horrible and loved to charge for work he never performed. I have considered putting in a dealership that focuses on customer service first and foremost because I think I can get a ton of customers to move to it if they can just get quality service, prompt responses and are actually treated like they matter.

Ramman

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is become the rule in dealerships instead of the exception. I tried to book an appointment to bring my truck into my dealership for a faulty backup camera (400 miles on the truck). I called, was put on hold and hung up after 20 minutes. Called back an hour later, was put on hold, hung up after 20 minutes. I then tried to book the appointment online but once I filled out my information the web site informed me that it was unable to book my appointment online and that someone would call me - which they never did. I then tried to use their chat feature and after giving my information again the person in chat informed me that they could not book appointments for the dealership but that they would have someone call me. 4 hours later I get a call from a salesman trying to sell me a 2019 RAM 3500 - because the person in chat gave him my information and told him I was looking to buy a new truck. My previous dealership was even worse and their ONE diesel mechanic was horrible and loved to charge for work he never performed. I have considered putting in a dealership that focuses on customer service first and foremost because I think I can get a ton of customers to move to it if they can just get quality service, prompt responses and are actually treated like they matter.

That’s my biggest thing these days. Customer service. I realize that things break on trucks, things can go wrong. That’s why they have warranties, that’s why I buy new and don’t worry about it instead of saving money and buying a used truck.

The Ford dealership I went and picked the F-250 up at was excellent. They were quick, efficient, we did the deal over the phone before I drove in. While I was there they had the paperwork ready and valued my time (they knew I was taking some leave from work to handle the trade). The whole process from start to finish probably took an hour and a half. They also introduced me to the service manager, ensured me that what happened at the other dealership would never happen at their dealership.

They even upgraded me to a ten year, 100,000 mile warranty after we had already made the deal for free as long as I have the service done there. And the service only requires what the owner manual states. Hell, they even threw in the first two rotations and oil changes for free, and I didn’t even ask for it.

They even threw in some front and back WeatherTechs, and a bed liner for free until I get it sprayed there and my fifth installed. All this was done AFTER the deal was done, with no promise beforehand, they just did it. The experience was night and day from the other experience I had been having. And they’re going to earn my business from it.

labjr1

Reaction score
I don't blame you a bit. I would switch truck brands in order to have good customer service. The trucks are commodities, the service is where a dealership can make a difference.

Daybreak

Reaction score
Howdy,
Makes me wonder why you dealt with that dealership to begin with. It's funny how you had modifications done somewhere which broke that part. Why on earth was it even messed with? I have dealt with my local dealer already for years. They are a dealership which is always improving, and do not let the little things get in the way.

A new truck brought to them with your knowledge of the lift and wheel company damaging something. It sounds like you did not fill in the dealership with enough information for them to do the job. They might have been trying to track down the issue for hours not knowing what the lift & tire company did, and why.

Have fun with your ford.

Ramman

Reaction score
Howdy,
Makes me wonder why you dealt with that dealership to begin with. It's funny how you had modifications done somewhere which broke that part. Why on earth was it even messed with? I have dealt with my local dealer already for years. They are a dealership which is always improving, and do not let the little things get in the way.

A new truck brought to them with your knowledge of the lift and wheel company damaging something. It sounds like you did not fill in the dealership with enough information for them to do the job. They might have been trying to track down the issue for hours not knowing what the lift & tire company did, and why.

Have fun with your ford.

Let's say you're correct, and let's say it went down exactly how you stated, and it took them 9 days. So what about the oil? the damage they caused? the liner? no updates? The failure to fix anything? The failure to order any part? All of which happened in their shop. What about the handing me back my truck with unplugged wires?

The part was messed with during the alignment of my vehicle. My vehicle was 4WD, that is how it broke.

It's interesting how it sounds like it's my fault from you? lol get real.

It took the Ford dealership all of 5 minutes to diagnose the part when I traded the RAM in. Do you think they would take a truck like that with an obvious 4WD light on without knowing what they were getting into? It's not my job to fill the dealership in on what I think went wrong with my truck. If I knew, I would order the part myself and fix it now wouldn't I?

Users who are viewing this thread