Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPDATE NAVIGATION MAPS??

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to update the nav maps? I have a 2016 2500 Big Horn, 8.4 UConnect.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Excellent, very helpful. I will have to wait since it is $149.00, but that is where I need to go to get the updates. Thank you very much!!

MtnRider

Reaction score
Excellent, very helpful. I will have to wait since it is $149.00, but that is where I need to go to get the updates. Thank you very much!!

I wouldn't waste your money, the updates are still way behind the curve compared to using your phone and google maps (or similar).

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate that. I might just by a Garmin or something then to attach to the corner of the windshield. That would be easier for me than trying to look at my phone while driving.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate that. I might just by a Garmin or something then to attach to the corner of the windshield. That would be easier for me than trying to look at my phone while driving.
A GPS unit (Garmin, Uconnect Nav, etc) will always be out of date. They’re point in time snapshots. I only use my Nav if I don’t have cell service.

Last edited:

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Why not plug the phone in and let it display on the UConnect? No need to look at the phone, but still get the benefit of the maps being current.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Didn't know you could do that. I will check it out - thanks man!!

johanh13

Reaction score
For me nothing beats the built in Nav, nothing to hold or stick on the windshield. (EVERY map system, including what's on your smartphone, is somewhat outdated)... just my $0.05 worth

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Yeah I like the built in NAV too, but it is still a 2016 mapping system and does not have all the new roads on it. I would also like a system made for trailers that won't send me down a two-track with a 30' trailer behind me!!

@JC

Reaction score
For me nothing beats the built in Nav, nothing to hold or stick on the windshield. (EVERY map system, including what's on your smartphone, is somewhat outdated)... just my $0.05 worth
Google Maps over Android Auto destroys the built in Nav for accuracy, routing and POI, it's not even debatable. The only slight drawback is it only displays in a 1/2 card on the 12" display instead of using the full screen but the layout in full screen for the factory Nav isn't anything to write home about either. I usually have Plex running through AA and the song displays with reverse, pause, forward buttons on the lower 1/2 card with Maps in the top anyway.

ETA, there was a discounted $99 offer that was good through May 31 for the factory Nav update, they seem to offer that a couple times a year so if you really feel like updating the factory Nav wait for another of those offers to roll out.

johanh13

Reaction score
Google Maps over Android Auto destroys the built in Nav for accuracy, routing and POI, it's not even debatable. The only slight drawback is it only displays in a 1/2 card on the 12" display instead of using the full screen but the layout in full screen for the factory Nav isn't anything to write home about either. I usually have Plex running through AA and the song displays with reverse, pause, forward buttons on the lower 1/2 card with Maps in the top anyway.

ETA, there was a discounted $99 offer that was good through May 31 for the factory Nav update, they seem to offer that a couple times a year so if you really feel like updating the factory Nav wait for another of those offers to roll out.
No debating, just prefer less clutter, moving pieces.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread