Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding Weights from Scale

aterza

Reaction score
So I wanted to weigh my truck (it is not a HD, yet) Ram 1500. Here are the weights I got. I am trying to decide if I need to upgrade to a HD or stay with half ton.

Truck only (I was only passenger 185lbs, full tank of gas): Front Axle 3460, Rear Axle 2600, Total 6080

Truck with TT attached with WDH hooked up (I was in truck 185lbs + Daughter 150lbs and full tank of gas): Truck Front Axle 3400, Truck on scale 6800, Truck + TT on scale 11560, Truck Rear Axle + TT on scale 8080, TT only on scale still hooked up to truck 4603

Should I have gotten another weight? I am new to this, so sorry if I am ignorant. Trying to learn before we make long trips on road. I have pulled it before to a camp ground 15 minutes from my house and Truck did great, but we would like to travel farther with it.

Thanks for any feedback/help.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Multiple user ID's are not allowed.

I can see that you're currently online with two accounts.

Pick one and delete the other. Please use the password recovery feature if you can't login to the first account.

roegs

Reaction score
Am I reading this correct - your rear axle weight went from 2600 lbs empty to 6800 lbs with the TT attached?

aterza

Reaction score
Multiple user ID's are not allowed.

I can see that you're currently online with two accounts.

Pick one and delete the other. Please use the password recovery feature if you can't login to the first account.
Sorry about that, I broke my phone and then forgot password when I got new phone. I will delete one account.

aterza

Reaction score
Am I reading this correct - your rear axle weight went from 2600 lbs empty to 6800 lbs with the TT attached?
I miss typed. The truck tires were on scale while TT was attached.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Can you post the scale sheet? Your explanation isn’t clear to me but I understand scale print outs

did you park with your front (steer) tires on one pad, your rear (drive) tires on the second pad, and your trailer on the last pad?

some of the trailers weight shifts to the rear axle through the tongue weight, it also take a little weight off of the front axle. You gotta do a little math to figure out tongue weight and trailer gross

aterza

Reaction score
Can you post the scale sheet? Your explanation isn’t clear to me but I understand scale print outs

did you park with your front (steer) tires on one pad, your rear (drive) tires on the second pad, and your trailer on the last pad?

some of the trailers weight shifts to the rear axle through the tongue weight, it also take a little weight off of the front axle. You gotta do a little math to figure out tongue weight and trailer gross
I weighed at a Farm that sells coal. I didn't notice different pads, just seemed like one big scale to me. I can always go back and double check if there are "pads", but not sure what I would be looking for. Damn, I wish I knew more, I am sure I am frustrating some of you guys on here.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Here is the only one I could find in my pics which was a much smaller truck and smaller trailer load as well. This was done on a cat truck scale. The different pads weigh the different axles on a truck.

This was a ~5300lb trailer, so you can see there was ~600 lb of tongue weight transferred to the tow rigs rear axle. Scale reads 4700lb on the trailer axle but the drive axle weight is now higher.

Truck weighed about 5200, trailer about 5300 lb for the 10,500 total. The scales show you how the weight is riding

30F2A3E5-AEF7-4CB2-8C29-9AD8BFB110D8.jpeg

aterza

Reaction score
Here is the only one I could find in my pics which was a much smaller truck and smaller trailer load as well. This was done on a cat truck scale. The different pads weigh the different axles on a truck.

This was a ~5300lb trailer, so you can see there was ~600 lb of tongue weight transferred to the tow rigs rear axle. Scale reads 4700lb on the trailer axle but the drive axle weight is now higher.

Truck weighed about 5200, trailer about 5300 lb for the 10,500 total. The scales show you how the weight is riding

View attachment 14568
Ok, I know my Steer Axle is 3400, Trailer Axle is 4603 and Gross Weight was 11560, subtracting the first two from Gross gives me Drive Axle of 3557. Thanks for Pic.

Users who are viewing this thread