Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Phone app features

regal2800

Reaction score
On my 2016 laramie 2500 the phone app had a bunch of featueres. it gave me fuel level, oil change, fuel filter etc. On my 3500 HO, i only get the lock unlock, start and vehicle locator. I called and spoke to ram customer care and they said with the aisin trans, those other features are not possible. is this true? Can any of the others on here with HO trucks chime in?

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
That’s all I have on my 2019 3500 SO. That app is pretty much a joke, especially since it is useless after one year unless you give Sirius your first-born.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
12"?

It doesn't have the processing capacity to support the vehicle health monitoring. Nothing to do with HO.

Sent from my work avoidance device

regal2800

Reaction score
12"?

It doesn't have the processing capacity to support the vehicle health monitoring. Nothing to do with HO.

Ya the 12”. I would think that the 12” has the ability to process more than the small screens. That’s too bad, the vehicle health was a nice feature.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the 12”. I would think that the 12” has the ability to process more than the small screens. That’s too bad, the vehicle health was a nice feature.
I believe they're the same processor, so with split screen apps, the 12 runs out of gas.

The next gen Uconnect is starting to show up in the Pacifica and Grand Cherokee and will eventually roll down into the other FCA vehicles.

jpidgie

Reaction score
My ‘16 Ecodiesel had the 8”, my ‘19 3500 has the 12” screen. Both Uconnect devices would only allow for remote start/stop, door locks, and location services. I’ve never been able to see fuel levels or any other features that they claimed were available.

Interesting though... with my ‘16, I used to get email alerts to tell me that the oil needed to be changed, or that a tire needed air, literally moments after the dash told me. I haven’t seen a single one for the ‘19. Nicer truck, nicer tech, nicer 12” panel, yet less functionality and features, just eye candy.

One thing that I either can’t figure out, or was removed, is the Sirius XM rewind feature. It’ll pause, and continue playing, but not rewind. OR... I’m just too dumb to figure it out. Anyone smarter that can help me find the button??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper

Reaction score
I believe they're the same processor, so with split screen apps, the 12 runs out of gas.

The next gen Uconnect is starting to show up in the Pacifica and Grand Cherokee and will eventually roll down into the other FCA vehicles.

That is a pathetic excuse from Ram if true. that just means they spent little to no time in software optimization. I know, I work in a similar industry. The amount of CPU needed to pull that data at end of a drive is nothing!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a pathetic excuse from Ram if true. that just means they spent little to no time in software optimization. I know, I work in a similar industry. The amount of CPU needed to pull that data at end of a drive is nothing!
How much effort is put into optimizing an EOL product?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Frank

Reaction score
I really doubt this is a processor issue and has more to do with outsourcing the servicing of the platform to Sirius. You are talking about background processes that use a very small amount stored data and don't touch the graphics processor. I'm a little surprised the new trucks are one foot in, one foot out, but I would expect all UConnect functions to merge with Sirius eventually. It would be smart marketing, look at you guys already griping about Sirius and not blaming FCA who would have negotiated that!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I really doubt this is a processor issue and has more to do with outsourcing the servicing of the platform to Sirius. You are talking about background processes that use a very small amount stored data and don't touch the graphics processor. I'm a little surprised the new trucks are one foot in, one foot out, but I would expect all UConnect functions to merge with Sirius eventually. It would be smart marketing, look at you guys already griping about Sirius and not blaming FCA who would have negotiated that!

All Sirius/XM software that I have used was buggy and frequent outtages. Simple 40+ year old satellite technology appears to astound them. They are trying to expand as the internet streaming can entertain at least 70% of the USA population. How often are you out of cell phone range? How oftern do you not have internet service available? I go places monthly where I get one bar, and no internet.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Satellite radio is terrible. The sound quality isn't near as good as if you plug in your phone or USB, you can't control the songs, still often have to listen to some radio head talk about **** you could care less about, and they want $15 a month for the privilege! Hahaha I would happily pay like $2-3 a month for satellite radio for the handful of drives I can't be bothered to plug my phone in or I don't want to pick songs to play and just want to let it go, but with wireless apple car play close, and I'm sure android is following suit (or I'd assume) then the quality will be the same and cost nothing. They did all the gouging they could and now they are on borrowed time. Maybe if they got cheaper they could expand their base, but at this point I wish them luck because it's gonna be a long road to bankruptcy.

Users who are viewing this thread