Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UC 4 to UC 5 12" Available, - but does it work?

rfullen280

Reaction score
So there's a aftermarket supplier out of Florida - and they have a UC5 12" replacement for the UC4 systems. I have a 2021 Limited, w all the bells (some I don't need..but I digress).

Anyhow, has anyone done this? I'm familiar with Alfa OBD - and the notes on the company webpage for the update show that a new CVPM needs ordered/installed...

So before I spend too much money - anyone with experience that can walk me through this?

I realize with the costs of trucks doing nothing but going up, and the cost of inflation, I'm gonna be in this truck for a long long time... so I like making it my own.

rfullen280

Reaction score
No response? Curious about this too...
I did it - probably be easier to just buy your own parts, and get cables/adapters from Jimmy07. I was sent the wrong screen (for a 1500) twice. There are 4 screen part numbers/combinations and even when given the exact part number, their shipping got it wrong (so I sourced the screen seperate from another supplier.

You need at least a 2022 CVPM - can be ordered from anyone.. but you do have to tell your BCM that it is now a model year 2022 (makes no difference to anything else).

The radio module for UC5 is the same for 1500s/2500s/3500s - and is mounted behind the screen. It has some different plugs (hence the adapters). Also, the UC5 radio module has no cellular modem. What's that mean? I no longer receive maintenance emails..so maybe they're not tracking me anymore. Not sure how this is anything but a GREAT THING... :)

You do lose your SiriusXM weather/maps/fuel stuff (that I never used anyhow), but you can call and get SiriusXM if you want it (I do not...so it is not active).

So, here's the list of wins:

Wireless Android/CarPlay
No more modem in my truck
No more Sirius thinking I'm someone to bother
Faster interface, looks 80% the same.

Cons:
Not cheap
No warranty support
Loss of truck surveillance/connectivity (if you're into that kind of thing). But really, if you want your truck located, buy a cheap 4G phone, hardwire it in, and hide it somewhere in the cab.

Groovy.

unclelala

Reaction score
I did it - probably be easier to just buy your own parts, and get cables/adapters from Jimmy07. I was sent the wrong screen (for a 1500) twice. There are 4 screen part numbers/combinations and even when given the exact part number, their shipping got it wrong (so I sourced the screen seperate from another supplier.

You need at least a 2022 CVPM - can be ordered from anyone.. but you do have to tell your BCM that it is now a model year 2022 (makes no difference to anything else).

The radio module for UC5 is the same for 1500s/2500s/3500s - and is mounted behind the screen. It has some different plugs (hence the adapters). Also, the UC5 radio module has no cellular modem. What's that mean? I no longer receive maintenance emails..so maybe they're not tracking me anymore. Not sure how this is anything but a GREAT THING... :)

You do lose your SiriusXM weather/maps/fuel stuff (that I never used anyhow), but you can call and get SiriusXM if you want it (I do not...so it is not active).

So, here's the list of wins:

Wireless Android/CarPlay
No more modem in my truck
No more Sirius thinking I'm someone to bother
Faster interface, looks 80% the same.

Cons:
Not cheap
No warranty support
Loss of truck surveillance/connectivity (if you're into that kind of thing). But really, if you want your truck located, buy a cheap 4G phone, hardwire it in, and hide it somewhere in the cab.

Groovy.
what makes the 5 worth so much time, money and bother to upgrade over 4 ?

rfullen280

Reaction score
what makes the 5 worth so much time, money and bother to upgrade over 4 ?
Nothing specific. I just realized I'm not going to replace my truck until it's falling apart...they cost too much, and I doubt any new features are going to be worth $100 grand to me in the future. 8 speed trans? Sure...but my 6 is fine.

So I made this truck my truck... I have an aluminum flatbed, full airbag aftermarket suspension (thanks TimberGrove), Thuren rear links and trackbars...Thuren front springs... and the electronics. It annoys me to plug in my phone for directions in town, etc. So, I said "screw it" and updated my electronics...

Love my cummins, like my ram.

Stoic_Shane

Reaction score
If you're looking for wireless car play without the massive upgrade, there are other options. This is what I've run in a few vehicles. It's also nice if you do lots of rentals.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Ah yes, the intermediate "spoofs the car into thinking it's connected, lag having random disconnecting Amazon box of trash". I've seen that.

Stoic_Shane

Reaction score
Ah yes, the intermediate "spoofs the car into thinking it's connected, lag having random disconnecting Amazon box of trash". I've seen that.
I definitely respect the experience, however for 50 bucks and just tossing it in there, I really had relatively no issue with it. I was actually slightly impressed with this model given you could connect multiple phones and select with your screen.

It did get a little goofy after about 8 months of use, just unplugged it, reset it and relearned/reconnected my devices and it worked as usual with very little lag.
The issue I discovered was with the iPhone more than anything, it was that it views this as an accessory even though it's wireless (at least with product above), so if you charge your phone it would "break" the accessory and no longer utilize the wireless connection.

Truly wouldn't recommend it if there wasn't some value add from a device like this, I did quite a bit of research to ensure it wasn't a piece of trash before I let my wife use it in the daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread