Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn off auto sound for connected devices?

Marshfly

Reaction score
While on a road trip yesterday I noticed that when my kids have their iPads plugged into the rear USB ports and they turn on a movie it will automatically play that sound through the stereo. It seems there is no way to turn this off.

What's the point of having a USB for each seat to charge if they all play audio through the stereo instead of their own headphones?

Has anyone been able to resolve this?

carlrx7

Reaction score
the back seat drivers side USB is media enabled. You can tell by the decal next to it (matches the fronts) the other usb has a battery with the word usb in the middle, meaning charge only. It may be able to disable it in the uconnect. Pg 525 in owners manual talks about a popup being displayed. And what litzdog911 mentioned, the iPad can select its audio output as well.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Asking kids to repeatedly change the audio settings on their iPads is a fools errand. There is no option to disable it in the uconnect, unfortunately.

There is no reason for the back seat USB plugs to be anything other than charge only. I ordered a 2 port charge plug that will plug into the 110v outlet there. Would have been nice to have a 12v outlet in the back as well.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Maybe related question: my tradesman small screen uconnect rings full volume on incoming cell phone calls. It is crazy loud vs volume knob in truck. I can't seem to be able to control the ring volume via uconnect and rather have to remember to turn my phone ringer down each time I get in the truck. Anyone know if I'm missing something? Thanks

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Maybe related question: my tradesman small screen uconnect rings full volume on incoming cell phone calls. It is crazy loud vs volume knob in truck. I can't seem to be able to control the ring volume via uconnect and rather have to remember to turn my phone ringer down each time I get in the truck. Anyone know if I'm missing something? Thanks

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

carlrx7

Reaction score
Asking kids to repeatedly change the audio settings on their iPads is a fools errand. There is no option to disable it in the uconnect, unfortunately.

There is no reason for the back seat USB plugs to be anything other than charge only. I ordered a 2 port charge plug that will plug into the 110v outlet there. Would have been nice to have a 12v outlet in the back as well.

Should be pretty easy to pop out the usb panel and snip all but the power to the port. Check out these "usb data blockers" if you don't want to cut any wires. Amazon USB Data blocker

I agree about the 12v outlet. got a 12v cooler fridge that is awesome on those cross country trips. Had to buy one of these, so same boat. (Amazon- 120v to 12v converter)

thestuarts

Reaction score
There is no reason for the back seat USB plugs to be anything other than charge only.

I disagree. My daughter is an adult, and we have a similar taste in music, so I am happy to let her control the audio from the back seat. It was actually a great surprise to me when it worked.

It is easy to get a data blocker if you don't want your kids to control the audio, but please don't ask Ram to remove the audio capabilities from the rear USB. :)

Marshfly

Reaction score
I disagree. My daughter is an adult, and we have a similar taste in music, so I am happy to let her control the audio from the back seat. It was actually a great surprise to me when it worked.

It is easy to get a data blocker if you don't want your kids to control the audio, but please don't ask Ram to remove the audio capabilities from the rear USB. :)

There should at least be a way to disable them from the screen. Essentially, they have it set up where three devices fight each other and the satellite radio all at the same time. It's dumb.

thestuarts

Reaction score
There should at least be a way to disable them from the screen. Essentially, they have it set up where three devices fight each other and the satellite radio all at the same time. It's dumb.

I agree, an option to disable it would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread