Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tundra owner here - advice on new ram

exTundra

Reaction score
Been waiting for a Diesel Tundra for way too long. Been looking at the Rams for a long time, and recently decided to get serious about purchasing one. Nothing quite like the smell of diesel in the morning!!! I am from South Africa and have only had Diesel Land Cruisers out there! Rams would do really well there if they sold them in MEA (much like they are gaining respect in Australia, but I digress.)
I believe the Rams are the next best thing when it comes to reliability and longevity especially with the cummins motor.
So, my question - have two options;
New 2020 Big Horn fully loaded - Offered 6500 below MSRP, and actually below the dealer invoice price / below cost. Only thing I don't like is the chrome.Tech package, level 2 group, 12 inch Uconect, off-road group etc
New 2021 Big Horn, Offered about a 1500 cheaper than the 2020 (2000 off MSRP), has the night edition, trailer TPMS, dual alternator, 8 inch Connect (no nav), level 1 equipment group

Anyhow, I'm leaning towards the 2020 because of the all the nice to haves, especially considering I plan on keeping it for a long long time. Sure it has the CP4.2 fuel pump in. This is where my concern is - from what I have read there are min failures of this.
Would you?

A) Spend 1500 less and get the 2021 with CP3, less bells and whistles?
B) Spend the extra 1500 for all the bells and whistles, deal with the chrome until you can afford the prospector bumpers or a wrap ( ;) ) and not worry about CP4.2?

Not too worried about failures and warranty coverage, the bigger concern is being stranded with a failed pump. We only do dry camping as far away from everything as we can. I have 2 young kids.

PHX396

Reaction score
I would get the 2021 for night edition and not having cp4 pump. Also a 2020 is a year and half old model respectively at this point from when they were released.

exTundra

Reaction score
I like the bells and whistles, but on a truck that will be put to it's intended purpose, simple may be better. I was actually thinking of a tradesman and sending it off for a Prospector conversion - what stopped me? I like the 5 seat setup. Instead, I'll fit the prospectector bumpers, wheels, tires and suspension myself over the next few years. Maybe look into a rear diff lock too. Did I mention i'm so excited to get back in a diesel again. Machine!

2021 definitely seems like the sensible option at this point, and it looks bad a$$ in black with the night edition. Wouldn't of been my first choice in color, but 'I dig it, bruh'

RainDesert

Reaction score
I would most certainly go with the 2021. You get the improved fuel pump and the new HVAC updates. But I am not a "bells and whistles" guy, I just want reliability before all else.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
An ex-Tundra owner here too.
I like bells and whistles that's why I went with Limited, but given choices you have, I'd go with 2021 for these reasons:
- no CP4,
- night edition (I still need to figure out what to do with my chrome),
- I wish I went with a 8.4 screen (only half of the 12 inch screen is useful for cameras which is 6 inch basically. It looks fancy and everything but but as useful as an 8"),
- no CP4,
- a lot of the bells and whistles are nice to have but not critical for truck operation, I wouldn't care much if half of them was not there,
- 2021 is newer,
- no CP4,
- 2021 is cheaper,
- 2021 has more power and torque,
- did I mention no CP4?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, factory Nav is pretty useless, I guarantee you will be using Google or Apple maps not that junk they call navigation so no need to waste your money on it.

exTundra

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies - 2021 making more sense for sure. Wife has the Pacifica with the nav, we use it sometimes, but Apple Car play is the go to Nav. I also use it in my Tundra at the moment anyway, and use a lot of the trail apps compatible with Apple Car Play.
Point taken on the CP4, and from my research after my OP, CP4.2 is no better, really, perhaps just a while longer until potential failure.
Does the 2021 have increased power and torque for the 2500, or was that just in the 3500 HO configuration?

I must say, I hate dealerships (no surprise here im sure), been back and forth with them since Saturday and slowly peeling off all the hidden $ being tucked in. Gave me a good discount, but inflated my payoff figures, and hid their 'dealership options' that they 'put on all the vehicles'. Now, I know they have to make their money somewhere, so I have to be reasonable somewhat. I am not getting them to fit some BFG KO2 35's on the truck as a dealer add on. (And I will insist on the old ones loaded in the back when I take delivery ;) so I can sell em. ) I would rather let them make money off my choice of dealer add ons, then theirs. I don't want SWAT, I don't want *their* paint protection. But I will take an extended warranty once I negotiate that down to a more than fair price.
I am tired, fatigued and ready to close now, this negotiating really takes it out of you.

exTundra

Reaction score
Picked up on Friday, managed to pick up a 2021 Big Horn with all the nice to haves for a better deal than originally posted. Squeezing the dealer for 2 weeks paid off eventually.
Behold:

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 27

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Picked up on Friday, managed to pick up a 2021 Big Horn with all the nice to haves for a better deal than originally posted. Squeezing the dealer for 2 weeks paid off eventually.
Behold:
That looks great! Ram seems hit/miss on quality. Keep us updated in your experience. As an ex Toyota owner, your expectations should be high!

exTundra

Reaction score
Thanks!
Pretty happy with the quality now that I have gone through the truck and driven about 60 miles. One thing I did notice is the tailgate alignment when closed on the drivers side is slightly off. Funny, I noticed some user videos on YouTube look very similar. Sure it can be adjusted.
Now that I'm out of my tundra I need to start the hard work building up the off road Cred again. I was always the one in the wheeling group with the full size doing stuff everyone thought I should not have, and they were mostly surprised.

Looking at suspension, bigger tires - I like the Carli suspension but do not want to give up payload capacity in exchange for lift / additional suspension travel. I want all 3. Tall order. May have to get some custom coils made. AEV seems good, but you don't get any additional suspension travel, since they basically use spacers for their lift.
I want to go 37's with a 2.5-3 inch lift, increase suspension travel and retain payload.
Seems I'll have to go with around +12 offset for 37's - (from what I have read, lift wont really help that much with tire fitment unless you're going over 3 inches and looking to fit 40's, although even then you can fit 40-41 on a 3 inch lift with correct offset.)
Also checking soft topper and bedbug, which will be going on in the coming days.
Perhaps time for a build thread, the beginning is always a good place to start.

Cheers,
Shaun

JHeat2500

Reaction score
Thanks!
Pretty happy with the quality now that I have gone through the truck and driven about 60 miles. One thing I did notice is the tailgate alignment when closed on the drivers side is slightly off. Funny, I noticed some user videos on YouTube look very similar. Sure it can be adjusted.
Now that I'm out of my tundra I need to start the hard work building up the off road Cred again. I was always the one in the wheeling group with the full size doing stuff everyone thought I should not have, and they were mostly surprised.

Looking at suspension, bigger tires - I like the Carli suspension but do not want to give up payload capacity in exchange for lift / additional suspension travel. I want all 3. Tall order. May have to get some custom coils made. AEV seems good, but you don't get any additional suspension travel, since they basically use spacers for their lift.
I want to go 37's with a 2.5-3 inch lift, increase suspension travel and retain payload.
Seems I'll have to go with around +12 offset for 37's - (from what I have read, lift wont really help that much with tire fitment unless you're going over 3 inches and looking to fit 40's, although even then you can fit 40-41 on a 3 inch lift with correct offset.)
Also checking soft topper and bedbug, which will be going on in the coming days.
Perhaps time for a build thread, the beginning is always a good place to start.

Cheers,
Shaun
The tailgate issue is pretty much universal on these trucks unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Jackb60

Reaction score
As far
Been waiting for a Diesel Tundra for way too long. Been looking at the Rams for a long time, and recently decided to get serious about purchasing one. Nothing quite like the smell of diesel in the morning!!! I am from South Africa and have only had Diesel Land Cruisers out there! Rams would do really well there if they sold them in MEA (much like they are gaining respect in Australia, but I digress.)
I believe the Rams are the next best thing when it comes to reliability and longevity especially with the cummins motor.
So, my question - have two options;
New 2020 Big Horn fully loaded - Offered 6500 below MSRP, and actually below the dealer invoice price / below cost. Only thing I don't like is the chrome.Tech package, level 2 group, 12 inch Uconect, off-road group etc
New 2021 Big Horn, Offered about a 1500 cheaper than the 2020 (2000 off MSRP), has the night edition, trailer TPMS, dual alternator, 8 inch Connect (no nav), level 1 equipment group

Anyhow, I'm leaning towards the 2020 because of the all the nice to haves, especially considering I plan on keeping it for a long long time. Sure it has the CP4.2 fuel pump in. This is where my concern is - from what I have read there are min failures of this.
Would you?

A) Spend 1500 less and get the 2021 with CP3, less bells and whistles?
B) Spend the extra 1500 for all the bells and whistles, deal with the chrome until you can afford the prospector bumpers or a wrap ( ;) ) and not worry about CP4.2?

Not too worried about failures and warranty coverage, the bigger concern is being stranded with a failed pump. We only do dry camping as far away from everything as we can. I have 2 young kids.
As far as the Navigation goes it’s a programmable option So it can be programmed in any unconnect system. The rest is mostly personal preference.

Jackb60

Reaction score
The tailgate problem was a recall repair if I remember correctly. No issue with it on my 2019

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Been waiting for a Diesel Tundra

Sorry, that was me thinking about a diesel Tundra trying to compete in the Class 2B/3 arena with the Big 3. Asian trucks do a good job having big body panels to distract from wee little axles and frames, steering gear...etc but that wont work above a half ton. If they do come out with a diesel, it will compete in the half ton arena with the 3.0L Big 3 baby diesels. Just my saucy opinion.

Anyhoo,

Welcome to the site! I'd pick the 2021. No CP4 and the 8.4" screen is really fleshed out in these trucks. The 12" seems to have MANY more grumbles and posted problems about it comparatively. IMO, I think it's because they (I assume) put the same/similar processor/RAM from the 8.4 in it to drive the 12" and it's new features and it's just struggling until they bring the horsepower up to handle it. A lot of features of the higher trims can be added after the fact and programmed in by an aftermarket BCM flasher thing called AlphaOBD. Check out the modification forum and some of the other areas to see what people are up to with these trucks.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread