Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuffy Center Console Security

TonyT

Reaction score
I had ordered a couple accessories for the Jeep and I saw this, so I figured why not give it a shot. Install was easy and I think it’s gonna be a useful addition. Console slider still slides all the way back over top of it. Only complaint is I’d rather have a combination code instead of using a key.

43C1BEC7-FD4B-4C33-89C4-78D2682D29E8.jpegE7F346FC-3D32-4899-8619-6DA51A56AD7A.jpeg34BB03BC-D451-425E-9DE4-F60B5C415727.jpeg

44Dan44

Reaction score
Looks like a good fit, did you find good mounting points for the screws so its not easily ripped out?

TonyT

Reaction score
The install isn’t all that evasive. The screws just go into the plastic. Even without the screws you can’t pull it out without unlocking the lid and folding in the brackets. You’d have to destroy the console to get it out.

Reaction score
That looks nice. You could change the cam lock to a combo unit. Compx makes good combination cam locks.

Redfour5

Reaction score

Jqueen

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Locker Down unit?

TonyT

Reaction score
Do you have a link to this?

I ordered through AmericanTrucks.com (Owned by `turn5, they're also affiliated with ExtremeTerrain.com and American Muscle.com) I'd recommend them.

I called Tuffy originally, but they didn't have the console for my Jeep in stock, they referred me to AmericanTrucks.

Looks like the same thing with a heavier gauge steel and lower height for the locking mechanism choices. Also looks like it has springs to help keep it in the up-position. The Tuffy has a friction lever with a nylon bushing to keep it up. If the spring opens it when unlocked I would probably prefer that than having to pull up on the key. Combo lock option is awesome as well. It's awkward reaching around with the keys in hand. However, at $500 with the electronic lock, it's just not for me. I just wanted another layer of security, not a "safe."

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

I have it installed with the electronic lock.
The only problem with any of these is the limited storage space due to the location.
But is is rather convenient if you need something locked up short term and out of sight.

And yes.. they all attach with screws through the plastic console... but as @TonyT stated, you'd have to tear apart the entire console to get anything out of it.

BigSexy 64

Reaction score

I've got one I'm my 22 PW. Works great. Only use it to store my 45 when I'm going in somewhere that doesn't allow firearms. It's a little pricey, but cheaper than replacing your pistol.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I think any of these are great options for people who live in states that have legal requirements on firearm storage inside a vehicle.

That said, for everyone saying you'd have to tear apart the console to get it out, I don't know if any of you guys have seen break ins or what, but a hammer or pry bar would make short work of all those. Even a rock smashed against the locking mechanism would probably be enough to open it up.

My point is that this is good for a legal requirement, and perhaps some protection against the kid that breaks a window to steal your laptop bag, but nothing else.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I think any of these are great options for people who live in states that have legal requirements on firearm storage inside a vehicle.

That said, for everyone saying you'd have to tear apart the console to get it out, I don't know if any of you guys have seen break ins or what, but a hammer or pry bar would make short work of all those. Even a rock smashed against the locking mechanism would probably be enough to open it up.

My point is that this is good for a legal requirement, and perhaps some protection against the kid that breaks a window to steal your laptop bag, but nothing else.

Seen plenty of break-ins.. they are 100% crimes of opportunity, full stop.
They grab what it easy and go... they aren't going to waste their time trying to break into anything 'difficult' or locked.

The only reason they'd spend any time is that they've spent time knowing they *have* time and then it isn't a crime of opportunity now is it.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Seen plenty of break-ins.. they are 100% crimes of opportunity, full stop.
They grab what it easy and go... they aren't going to waste their time trying to break into anything 'difficult' or locked.

The only reason they'd spend any time is that they've spent time knowing they *have* time and then it isn't a crime of opportunity now is it.
I don't know how old you are, but in the late 90s/early 00s people used to jack CD players from cars all the time, especially ones with cool LCD screens. It was such a big issue that companies used to make disconnecting faceplates you could bring with you so guys don't steal them out of your parked truck.

In those break ins, pry bars, screw drivers, and tin snips were the tools of choice. Doesn't matter what damage was done to the car interior, so long as the CD player was pulled out clean.

My point here is that they offer very little in the way of security. If you don't have it in view, and don't have "sig sauer/glock" stickers plastered all over your truck, you're probably fine. That said, jacking guns from is one of the most common ways that guns are stolen, and it's on the rise.

Your experience may tell you that vehicle break ins are always opportunistic, but the data says otherwise.

Either way, if your state/locale requires you have locking gun storage and you intend to abide by the law then you have to have something if for no other reason than legal protection.

However, if you're looking to keep your firearms secure in your vehicle while it's left unattended is to do two things. #1 - don't add any gun/hunting/military/etc. stickers to your truck. Some you may be able to get away with, but anything that says glock/sig/etc. is a giant neon sign that there may be firearms in the vehicle. #2 - don't leave firearms in the vehicle overnight. A lot of these thefts can happen in the driveway and the best way to make sure it isn't taken while you're sleeping is making sure it's not there to take.

Alligator John

Reaction score
A common occurrence at a storefront business where my small business is located and my wife works is to see thieves checking doors of vehicles going down the line from one to the next. This includes watching and checking doors of vehicles with the owner present such as while the owner is unloading the vehicle with a door or doors open. None of the ones we are seeing are walking around with crowbars and hammers.

TonyT

Reaction score
Just to be said.. The pic with the guns was just cause I had them close by.
That's a little intense, to be honest. Yes, I've dealt with theft. My locked glovebox and center console in the Jeep were ripped open, by hand, a few years ago when someone hit our neighborhood. This is not guaranteed to stop someone, but it certainly would be more difficult than any OEM console and there would have to be damage to the surrounding area that its in. Having installed it, I can say it's not coming out unless folded-in, and it can't be folded without the locking bar moved out of position, which can't be done by crudely smashing the lock or using a prybar. I suppose you could pick the lock, but there's little room in there to do so and if someones that good, they're picking locks to houses and safes, not the$200 center console of my truck.

UglyViking

Reaction score
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At this point I think it's pretty clear that the majority of folks on here are confident these boxes are secure against theft. I feel that I need to make one thing clear, is this better than nothing at all? Surely it is, at the very least it provides some amount of slowdown. However, if your truck is plastered with gun stickers, or you're a "known target" this will do nothing.

At the end of the day, it's all about risk, so know that these are good for what they are, but they aren't "safe". There are about a dozen ways to easily pop that lock without any obvious damage, there are picking tools that make this as easy as scraping a few times or pulling a trigger, you could pry bar it open, smack it with a hammer, etc. And for anyone reading this thinking "thieves aren't that smart", just remember that they are car jacking with proximity key cloners now, so the tech is there and they are learning.

Again, my point here isn't to "poo poo" the product. It's obviously better than nothing. Rather my point was to call out that there is a potential that this gives you a false sense of security, and causes you to leave your firearm in the car overnight, or all the time, etc. For most guys it's probably not an important call out, but the number of posts I've seen about magnet mounted pistol holders in a truck make me want to call this out for everyone. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Users who are viewing this thread