Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to decide whether to upgrade from 1500 to 3500 in a year or two

Habu987

Reaction score
I've been browsing the HD forum for a while (been on the 1500 forum for a long time), finally decided to post.

I've got the 1500 that's in my sig, plan to keep it for at least another year or two. When I got it in 2018, I had a typical light duty use case--wife and kids, Home Depot runs, towing a rental 3500# camper a few times a year, yada yada yada. Since then, my use case has changed.

Pre-covid throwing 2020 into chaos, I was on schedule to start traveling all up and down the east coast with separate trips to Chicago and Houston/Austin for 8-12 conventions per year plus customer deliveries within a ~300 mile radius, all while bumper towing an enclosed cargo trailer that's anywhere from 5000-10000# and 12-18'. Given the paltry payload and towing capacities I've got on my truck (1269# and 7269#, respectively), I was planning to rent a HD for each trip, but now I'm thinking about just buying a HD in the next year or two.

With the BIG caveat that I haven't actually driven a HD yet, and knowing full well that the 6.4 would suit my projected needs just fine, I like the idea of the 6.7. I've read up on the differences between the 2500 and 3500 and am leaning towards a 3500 specifically for payload reasons. I would want to spec a 2500/3500 out with pretty much the exact same options that I have now, and when I searched for a 6.7 SRW SB 2500 specced out the same, payload was a miserly 1600-1900# and change depending on crew cab or mega cab. 3500s were well over 3000#. Given that some of my convention trips will likely be 2-4 people in the cab plus several hundred pounds of gear in the Ramboxes and bed, along with the trailer weight, that makes the 2500 just about as useless for my payload use case as the 1500.

So, all that said, on paper I'm likely looking at a SRW SB CC/MC 3500 with the 6.7. The added cost of the 6.7 over the 6.4 is a non-issue, so I'm not worried about the upfront or ongoing/maintenance costs. I am concerned a bit by the DD role, so I'll likely hold off on making a go/no-go decision till the cab redesign, since I can use all the space I have in the 1500 CC, and see if there are any drivability changes with the updated body whenever that actually comes out, hopefully model year 2022/2023.

On paper, the jump from 1500 to 3500 seems like it makes sense to me, but I'd appreciate any advice y'all might have!

ETA: I'm test driving a 3500 CC SRW LB HO 6.7 Big Horn later this week, just so I can see what the drivability is like and actually have an understanding of what DD would be like.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't need the tow capacity of the Cummins, I'd reconsider sticking with a gasser.

My mileage on my HO is pretty dismal. I'm pretty sure the SO does better but at the cost of some tow capacity.

If I wasn't towing heavy and double towing, I'd probably have a Hemi 2500.

brucie

Reaction score
I've been browsing the HD forum for a while (been on the 1500 forum for a long time), finally decided to post.

I've got the 1500 that's in my sig, plan to keep it for at least another year or two. When I got it in 2018, I had a typical light duty use case--wife and kids, Home Depot runs, towing a rental 3500# camper a few times a year, yada yada yada. Since then, my use case has changed.

Pre-covid throwing 2020 into chaos, I was on schedule to start traveling all up and down the east coast with separate trips to Chicago and Houston/Austin for 8-12 conventions per year plus customer deliveries within a ~300 mile radius, all while bumper towing an enclosed cargo trailer that's anywhere from 5000-10000# and 12-18'. Given the paltry payload and towing capacities I've got on my truck (1269# and 7269#, respectively), I was planning to rent a HD for each trip, but now I'm thinking about just buying a HD in the next year or two.

With the BIG caveat that I haven't actually driven a HD yet, and knowing full well that the 6.4 would suit my projected needs just fine, I like the idea of the 6.7. I've read up on the differences between the 2500 and 3500 and am leaning towards a 3500 specifically for payload reasons. I would want to spec a 2500/3500 out with pretty much the exact same options that I have now, and when I searched for a 6.7 SRW SB 2500 specced out the same, payload was a miserly 1600-1900# and change depending on crew cab or mega cab. 3500s were well over 3000#. Given that some of my convention trips will likely be 2-4 people in the cab plus several hundred pounds of gear in the Ramboxes and bed, along with the trailer weight, that makes the 2500 just about as useless for my payload use case as the 1500.

So, all that said, on paper I'm likely looking at a SRW SB CC/MC 3500 with the 6.7. The added cost of the 6.7 over the 6.4 is a non-issue, so I'm not worried about the upfront or ongoing/maintenance costs. I am concerned a bit by the DD role, so I'll likely hold off on making a go/no-go decision till the cab redesign, since I can use all the space I have in the 1500 CC, and see if there are any drivability changes with the updated body whenever that actually comes out, hopefully model year 2022/2023.

On paper, the jump from 1500 to 3500 seems like it makes sense to me, but I'd appreciate any advice y'all might have!

ETA: I'm test driving a 3500 CC SRW LB HO 6.7 Big Horn later this week, just so I can see what the drivability is like and actually have an understanding of what DD would be like.

If you go with the 6.4 gas engine on a 2500, you will have around a 3000# payload. If you want that (or more) with a diesel, get a 3500.

Habu987

Reaction score
If you don't need the tow capacity of the Cummins, I'd reconsider sticking with a gasser.

My mileage on my HO is pretty dismal. I'm pretty sure the SO does better but at the cost of some tow capacity.

If I wasn't towing heavy and double towing, I'd probably have a Hemi 2500.
Thanks for your input! My lifetime hand calc MPG on my 1500 with the V6 has been 17.9 (probably 90%+ without towing so far), from what I've read here I could probably expect something in that general ballpark with the SO.

Any of the HD engines would allow me to tow far more than I need, which as far as I can tell should never go above 10-12k#.

If you go with the 6.4 gas engine on a 2500, you will have around a 3000# payload. If you want that (or more) with a diesel, get a 3500.
Playing around with the configuration and searching for trucks with that combo, looks like I'd come in around a 2500-2700# and change payload depending on MC/CC with how I'd option up the truck, per the Ram VIN lookup site. That would defintely give me more breathing room than with the 6.7, but I'm a bit worried about my worst case scenario of 4 guys + ~400# of gear + trailer coming close to maxing the payload. I might just be a Nervous Nellie, though!

Last edited:

Habu987

Reaction score
The dealership swapped out the Bighorn test drive for an almost loaded Limited. Still SRW/LB/HO, so pretty applicable besides the change in trim level.

Besides the ride being a bit rougher (though not *that* different from my 1500) than I'd prefer for a DD, I liked it! The HO is a beast and felt like a definite upgrade on my V6 for unladen around town driving. I drove both the 3500 and my 1500 back to back over the same ~5 mile route that approximates pretty much every type of traffic pattern/speed/road quality that I see in my daily driving so I could do a direct DD comparison of the two. Stronger engine performance and less lag than I have now (no issues with hard shifting, either, the tranny was pretty much invisible in the background), just a somewhat rougher ride over the more moonscape-y sections of the road. Gonna line up a 2500 test drive to see how the ride compares.

Definitely going to move up to a HD, now it's just a matter of waiting for the new cabs and picking which specific HD I go with.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
2500 has coil springs and will be a softer ride. 2500 with a 6.4 would make sense based on what you described you'd use it for. Diesels are not without issues, they like to release software updates to comply with some new and silly regulations and make flash updates mandatory. There are many unhappy people right now about the most recent update and there's no ETA for the fix yet. Gasers are generally free of this silly nonsense.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Based on your usage description, I would go for a 3500 SRW with a SO. HO is really only needed for bragging rights AND/OR if you tow more than 20K.
The SO is a much more frugal engine and makes more sense in your case.

On a DD without towing, the fuel economy would be comparable between a HEMI and the SO. At least, the difference doesn't refund the diesel upfront cost very fast.

But add a trailer in the mix and things change drastically.

I just changed my DD from a HEMI SRW megacab to a HO DRW megacab. Pulling my enclosed trailer last week, it was at 2/3 of the fuel burning compared to the HEMI. That is a lot.

So I suppose the SO would be like half??

And... the bonus is how ridiculous the Cummins doesn't care if there is a trailer behind. It completely vanish!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
HO is really only needed for bragging rights AND/OR if you tow more than 20K.
Yes and no. I don't tow 20K# but I've ordered my truck with HO/Aisin for the longevity and durability. You just don't read anything about failed AISIN transmissions, but you don't need to look far to find many cases of failed 68rfe.
And... the bonus is how ridiculous the Cummins doesn't care if there is a trailer behind. It completely vanish!
Amen to that!

silver billet

Reaction score
I heard the Aisin shifts harder (designed first for durability, not comfort), but I haven't test driven one myself.

I'd agree with those suggesting SO or Hemi. HO is probably overkill.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
It's a truck, lol, if I wanted comfort, I'd drive wife's car.
It shifts fine to me if you don't push it very hard, I didn't drive an SO to compare it to.

silver billet

Reaction score
It's a truck, lol, if I wanted comfort, I'd drive wife's car.

I hear this so often ("it's a truck, didn't buy it for gas/comfort") but that's complete bunk IMHO. Just because traditionally trucks have not done well in those 2 ares, doesn't that the overwhelmingly vast majority of truck owners wouldn't like to improve both while still having a capable truck. Have you not been paying attention to recent truck trends?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Look if this is how you feel, that's fine with me, I have no complains at all about how my truck drives or shifts or whatever... None of the trucks from the past would compete with it. No it doesn't ride like Cadillac Eldorado but it's honestly absolutely fine.

ITGuy

Reaction score
You sound like the perfect use case for a 2500. I love mine, the 2500 rides like a half ton, and after Carli shocks it rides better than a half ton. The only difference you will notice is parking.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I bought my 2500 6.7 for a do all vehicle. daily drive, road trip, quick grocery trip. did pretty fantastic but the mileage was mediocre. that may be a factor for you.

Habu987

Reaction score
You sound like the perfect use case for a 2500. I love mine, the 2500 rides like a half ton, and after Carli shocks it rides better than a half ton. The only difference you will notice is parking.
I'm planning to test drive a 2500 6.7 tomorrow or Monday to see how it rides and see what the SO is like. Would the Carli shocks be something to do during the warranty or after the warranty? I'm starting to research potential mods to do and shocks are one.
I bought my 2500 6.7 for a do all vehicle. daily drive, road trip, quick grocery trip. did pretty fantastic but the mileage was mediocre. that may be a factor for you.
How mediocre was your mileage? I'm at sub-18 mpg hand calc over the past 2 years with my 1500, so I'm not expecting EcoD levels of fuel economy. :-D

MEGA HO

Reaction score
That's within ~10% of what I'm getting now, well within my acceptable range. Thanks!
What you're getting now would be much different if you were towing the trailer you said you would tow. CTD wouldn't be hit as hard mileage wise when you hook up a trailer behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread