Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks from Hertz

wowens79

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for 2500 Bighorns with the 6.4, and found a bunch of certified pre owned 2019’s. But they all seem to have come from Hertz rental fleet. Would being a rental scare you off? Would you want it cheaper than one that was privately owned?

Squatch

Reaction score
I’d do it, not like this is comparable, but I got a used certified corolla that was a rental fleet car, with 27,000 miles on it, and now sitting at 70k, absolutely no problems. Plus, if it has a warranty, you’re good.

AFF

Reaction score
Maybe not the same, but I bought a 2000 30' RV that was from Cruise America in 2003 and it was well maintained by them. Had it for 15 years.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Devil's Advocate here. I won't buy used rental cars or anything else for that matter. Humans aren't nice to things they don't care about. Some aren't nice to things they do care about. I would rather make two extra payments and have some warm fuzzy feelings that someone might have actually cared for the vehicle. Rental cars are used hard and put away wet. Always! Then you're going to have a hard time selling it and get less$$ back down the road. The entire used car market is flooding thanks to Covid. You can probably use that to your advantage on any used car. Even one with a solid past. In the 6yrs I spent at Toyota and Jeep dealerships I learned enough to just eliminate the rentals, salvage, Russian rebuilds, mining/petro/Canadian import from the list. Too many variables for my brain to accept.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
1. I would not be afraid of it if it passed the smell test....i.e. looks good, runs good, everything works, no signs of abuse, and still has a warranty.
2. Yes, I would want an exceptional deal if buying a rental car.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
A family friend purchases rentals only, never had issues and they came with warranties. However beware of the warranty Hertz would offer, if they do go belly up the warranty might go with them. Be sure to have a third party warranty cover it. Personaly I wouldn't, but the depreciation hit when buying new, it can be severe. Good luck!

Squatch

Reaction score
This is the first time in my life I have owned a car with less than a hundred thousand miles on it, I like the fact that I know where it has been, but it totally is a losing game, even if you had to drop a few thousand bucks on a used car for some repairs, you would still be making a better choice with your money. Just have to be satisfied with someone’s left-overs, and likely not getting the exact combination of options you might get new.

wowens79

Reaction score
The ones I’ve found are actually at a Ram dealer, and are Certified PreOwned, so they have 7 yeat 100k mile warranty, and they have 8-10k miles on them. There are about a dozen of them at dealers around ATL.
They are Gas Bighorns, with level 1 or 2 option package, which is what I’ve been looking for. Looks like I could probably get one for about $8-10k less than a new one, so about 20% less than new.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
If the price works for you buy it

Look at the issues with new vehicles. One never driven may break down the next day.

One with 100k drives just like new.

Test drive it...and then enjoy.

Nothing wrong with buying a rental.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Distillusion

Reaction score
I looked at Hertz' sale site out of curiosity. Across the entire country, they have 10 2019 Ram 1500s, mostly Big Horns. One Rebel.

No HD.

wowens79

Reaction score
I looked at Hertz' sale site out of curiosity. Across the entire country, they have 10 2019 Ram 1500s, mostly Big Horns. One Rebel.

No HD.
They were not at Hertz, they were at a Ram dealer. He had about 6 with 8-15k miles on them, and I noticed 5-6 other dealers with them also. So I wondered where they came from, and used to pull the build sheet, and they were listed As Hertz fleet trucks on the build sheet.
pall were 2500 BigHorns with the 6.4. About half had the level one option package, and half the level 2. A few we’re base Bighorns with the small screen, and chrome steel wheels.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Our local RAM dealer has a few from Enterprise. I would buy them in a heartbeat if they had what I wanted and the color I wanted.

They are under warranty and would have been serviced. They have the bugs worked out. People would report if there was an issue. The issue would be fixed. They keep them usually til around 15k.

MackMan

Reaction score
I purchased one of these Bighorns in Indiana. Drove from KY to get it and got a good deal on it. I noticed driving it home the steering had a weird feel to it, didn’t notice it test driving it. So I took it to the dealer and they replaced the intermediate shaft and all is good. Done under warranty so I’m happy and so is my wallet.

Example, my truck had 8k miles on it is a Bighorn with sport package, got it for $36,800.

rfail49

Reaction score
I purchased one from Jesup ga at the Chevrolet dealer there. 2019 2500 Bighorn 12,000 for $41,100 so it was worth the risk plus it still has warranty so far so good. I love my new to me truck

Thomas T.

Reaction score
I just ordered new because my dealer worked with me and I got a brand new ordered the way I want cheaper than the used ones I found online. He give it $500 over cost $5500 under MSRP and I get the discounts offered which at the moment is an additional $2000. 2020 Laramie 2500, If you have a good dealer just hit him up with the options you want and see what they offer. Doesn't hurt to get a quote.

LaRochelle

Reaction score
Mine is a Hertz Truck . Bought with 13,000 miles for $35000. had some small scratches but I have had no problems and plenty of factory warranty left on it. I couldn't pass up the deal. I was looking at tradesman's that were the same price. Mine is a 6.4 bighorn with level 2 upgrade. Black interior, black bumpers, 8.4 uconnect, LED's, digital cluster.
We also purchased my wife's 2016 Ford Explorer from a ford dealer and it was a rental for the first year of its life. 125000 miles later on the twin turbo eco boost and its still running great. only problem we had was with the transfer case for the all time 4 wheel drive. it locked up around 80000 miles.
Its hard for me to believe people would rent a 2500 truck and drive it harder than I do. The hitch had never even had a receiver put in it when I bought it.

wowens79

Reaction score
Mine is a Hertz Truck . Bought with 13,000 miles for $35000. had some small scratches but I have had no problems and plenty of factory warranty left on it. I couldn't pass up the deal. I was looking at tradesman's that were the same price. Mine is a 6.4 bighorn with level 2 upgrade. Black interior, black bumpers, 8.4 uconnect, LED's, digital cluster.
We also purchased my wife's 2016 Ford Explorer from a ford dealer and it was a rental for the first year of its life. 125000 miles later on the twin turbo eco boost and its still running great. only problem we had was with the transfer case for the all time 4 wheel drive. it locked up around 80000 miles.
Its hard for me to believe people would rent a 2500 truck and drive it harder than I do. The hitch had never even had a receiver put in it when I bought it.
Do you mind telling me where you found yours at that price??

LaRochelle

Reaction score
Do you mind telling me where you found yours at that price??
It was quoted online at van horns along with three other similar trucks. I put money down on it without looking at it and they had over ten people that day calling about it. one guy flew from Alaska to Iowa to buy one of the other ones. The day after I put money down to hold it, they listed it on their site at 38000 for my truck just to get more calls.... It was just dumb luck that i found it. I was searching online for rams 2500's in the 32-38k range and happen to see them. The dealer (van horn) had bought the four trucks from an auction in Texas and had not even seen the trucks either.

Users who are viewing this thread