Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't remote start in temperatures below zero

carlrx7

Reaction score
Negative 8F yesterday. Plugged in for 8 hours. Started right up with remote after sitting for four days.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Negative 8F yesterday. Plugged in for 8 hours. Started right up with remote after sitting for four days.

i would hope so lol thats not very cold at all lol you would have been fine without plugging it in

Frank

Reaction score
i would hope so lol thats not very cold at all lol you would have been fine without plugging it in

0 degrees Monday evening, mine barely started and battery was reading below 12v. -10 degrees last night, plugged in all day, fired right up.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
0 degrees Monday evening, mine barely started and battery was reading below 12v. -10 degrees last night, plugged in all day, fired right up.
Really.... few times this winter when i couldn't plug my truck in at -35*C (-31*F) it fired up without trouble nothing out of the ordinary for a cold start... im assuming what you guys say is struggling is just normal for us?

Also if the grid heater is cycling you will see it under 12V

Frank

Reaction score
Really.... few times this winter when i couldn't plug my truck in at -35*C (-31*F) it fired up without trouble nothing out of the ordinary for a cold start... im assuming what you guys say is struggling is just normal for us?

Also if the grid heater is cycling you will see it under 12V

I'm just stating the fact. I have the cold weather package and 730 CCA batteries. Maybe the Canadian package specs a stronger battery, but I bought the truck in St Louis and build sheet says Chicago zone so I would assume -10 was pretty well expected in their configuration. 730 doesn't sound all that high to me but this is my first diesel and there are 2 so maybe? I have a Motorcraft 850 CCA / 1,000 CA in my wife's car and it also struggled after being in a parking lot all day in single digits Monday.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm just stating the fact. I have the cold weather package and 730 CCA batteries. Maybe the Canadian package specs a stronger battery, but I bought the truck in St Louis and build sheet says Chicago zone so I would assume -10 was pretty well expected in their configuration. 730 doesn't sound all that high to me but this is my first diesel and there are 2 so maybe? I have a Motorcraft 850 CCA / 1,000 CA in my wife's car and it also struggled after being in a parking lot all day in single digits Monday.
730cca is fine for dual batteries thats what we get here too your starter wont draw the full 730A at one time anyway... take a look at some cummins cold start videos on youtube for reference, just a thought what oil do you have?

Frank

Reaction score
730cca is fine for dual batteries thats what we get here too your starter wont draw the full 730A at one time anyway... take a look at some cummins cold start videos on youtube for reference, just a thought what oil do you have?

I bought the truck at the end of September and thanks to Covid I just cracked 4,000 miles this week. It's got whatever the factory put in there for another couple months.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I bought the truck at the end of September and thanks to Covid I just cracked 4,000 miles this week. It's got whatever the factory put in there for another couple months.
I got my 2019 in may it has 22,000 km (13,500 miles) now the 2 factory batters are great i keep em till they die usually i get 7 years out of the original batteries

Frank

Reaction score
I got my 2019 in may it has 22,000 km (13,500 miles) now the 2 factory batters are great i keep em till they die usually i get 7 years out of the original batteries

That's how I always did it with Fords. Battery outlasted the motor on the last two trucks...

MikeXM

Reaction score
If you don't drain down your batteries they will last a very long time. Drain them down a few times and they will die.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you don't drain down your batteries they will last a very long time. Drain them down a few times and they will die.
Depends how long they are left run down if its run down and charged right away the batteries wont have time for the cells to sulfate

kristof

Reaction score
You guys talking about diesel. Mine is gasoline. I can't plug it in. Anyway now the temperatures stays above 0F and no problem remote starting at all. All the doors and gate were locked properly so this wasn't the issue. BTW I wonder why they have not come up with a system that will tell me if I left the gate open. I have a tonneau cover on my truck and it sits tight against my tailgate. One time I didn't close it all the way and it open while I was driving to work. Since I have tailgate assist installed I never noticed that. Other drivers on the highway warn me about it.

carlrx7

Reaction score
how is -8F not very cold at all?

I'll follow the recommendations in the manual, thank you LOL

Block Heater Usage
For ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C),
engine block heater usage is recommended.
For ambient temperatures below –20°F
(-29°C), engine block heater usage is required.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
how is -8F not very cold at all?

I'll follow the recommendations in the manual, thank you LOL
Its not very cold considering we hit much lower most of the winter lol..... im not saying to not plug it in im just saying it would have started regardless.... i plug mine in at 32F and below hydro is cheap

jadmt

Reaction score
I must be getting old as I have lived in Montana my whole life and I remember when -8F was not all that cold but now anything under 10F is freaking cold.

MikeG

Reaction score
Mine has been working fine with the cold, thank goodness. However, there has been several times since I have had the truck that it has not started and I had to do it a second time before it starts.

ianacole

Reaction score
My dash tells me why a remote start was canceled. If you stand looking in at your dash and try to remote start does it tell you anything?

Users who are viewing this thread