Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck reboots at 72mph towing 8K with ETC fault

JJC72

Reaction score
10/2020 Ram 2500, 6K miles. Towing 8K down hiway, cruise set to 72mph, smooth road, tow/haul mode engaged, exhaust brake set to auto. All of sudden it was like the ignition switch was turned off and back on real quick. Cruise control dropped off, tow/haul mode and exhaust brake modes dropped off, alternator stopped charging (voltage went to 12.5 then started climbing again to 13.8), throttle was momentarily unresponsive. Then all back to normal with an flashing ETC (red lightning bolt) on. Upon shutdown and restart, ETC was on solid (red lightning bolt). Dealer said updated ECM software, and cleared code. Now happened again, same exact circumstance. Any others have this??

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
10/2020 Ram 2500, 6K miles. Towing 8K down hiway, cruise set to 72mph, smooth road, tow/haul mode engaged, exhaust brake set to auto. All of sudden it was like the ignition switch was turned off and back on real quick. Cruise control dropped off, tow/haul mode and exhaust brake modes dropped off, alternator stopped charging (voltage went to 12.5 then started climbing again to 13.8), throttle was momentarily unresponsive. Then all back to normal with an flashing ETC (red lightning bolt) on. Upon shutdown and restart, ETC was on solid (red lightning bolt). Dealer said updated ECM software, and cleared code. Now happened again, same exact circumstance. Any others have this??
Yikes. Not something I would want to happen. Not sure what would cause that but I would be looking for a bad ground connection. I would also check all the fuses in the fuse box. Those are known to be loose from the factory on some trucks.

JJC72

Reaction score
Yikes. Not something I would want to happen. Not sure what would cause that but I would be looking for a bad ground connection. I would also check all the fuses in the fuse box. Those are known to be loose from the factory on some trucks.
Dealer stated codes were for loss of ECM power/communicatuon. So that makes sense. Now just to find out why?

JJC72

Reaction score
dealer stated they found an internal short inside alternator causing ECM power to short intermittently. New alternator on order, 3 days or so. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

JJC72

Reaction score
Alternator replaced, so far so good. Had great tech at dealership, very descriptive and thorough in his troubleshooting diagnostic data. Best i have seen in a long time at a dealer.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Alternator replaced, so far so good. Had great tech at dealership, very descriptive and thorough in his troubleshooting diagnostic data. Best i have seen in a long time at a dealer.

Hang on to his phone number and ask if he has any friends at other dealerships throughout the country haha.

That's a rare breed right there.

JJC72

Reaction score
problem is back, so not as good as I preached for them. Now replacing the ECM with a 5/6 week lead time!! And still this will be a shotgun troubleshooting event!! UGH!!

Users who are viewing this thread