Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck purchase advice

obivolkenobi

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum though I've enjoyed lurking for the past few months.

We're looking to purchase a travel trailer later this year. Will be be roughly 36 feet long, 9-10,000 pounds. I'm planning to trade up from my F150 3.5 L Ecoboost to a Ram 2500. Truck will be used to tow the trailer 5-6 times per year and will also be my daily driver.

Enter the chip shortage and inventory crunch!

My plan had been to wait until the fall and trade in for a 2500 gasser, though now I'm questioning whether there will be any 2500s around then with the specs I'm looking for. I've been in contact with a dealership nearby with a truck that's built the way I want, except it has a Cummins. They are obviously not wanting to budge off the MSRP (though they have been willing to come down 2,000), but have offered me an insane deal on my truck.

What do you think? Should I sit tight and wait until later in the year, or should I take advantage of my current trade in value and pull the trigger on the Cummins? I realize I'm asking you to use your crystal ball a bit, but any advice is appreciated.

JC82 HD2500

Reaction score
What is your reason for not wanting the Cummins? Payload, price, daily driver (cost of diesel maintenance), etc.?

obivolkenobi

Reaction score
What is your reason for not wanting the Cummins? Payload, price, daily driver (cost of diesel maintenance), etc.?
Mainly up front cost (considering there is a pending travel trailer purchase as well). Maintenance is a minor reason.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sell your truck now at an insanely high price and factory order what you want at usual discounts. Or just factory order and roll the dice on trade value in 12-16 weeks. Buy a cheap temp daily driver if needed then dump it when the new truck comes in.

If I didn't need my truck this summer, I'd be selling right now and driving my 18 year old car around more.

If the local dealer won't deal, there's a few volume dealers nationally that will.

acuracing

Reaction score
Mainly up front cost (considering there is a pending travel trailer purchase as well). Maintenance is a minor reason.
Keep in mind that though there is more upfront cost, you will be able to recoup much of that (if not all) during resale once we're out of these crazy times.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
up front entry cost for the diesel will be gained on resale. at least most of it.

revjvegas

Reaction score
MSRP is bullsh**.
Question is how long has that truck been on the lot. Check the VIN sticker for the build date, that'll give you a ball park idea.
Once its been on the lot for over 3 months they should be willing to deal some..they'll still make money on the hold, but they're not going to want to keep paying inventory taxes.
If they won't deal, find a dealer who will.
I shopped over 6 dealerships till I found the one I wanted at the price I was willing to pay.
Sell the truck privately if you can, you'll make more on it.
That's my .02

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Fake news. The used Cummins won’t get you your 10 grand back

LOL.

I sold my 16 year old 04.5 CTD SLT last year for $20K. Paid less than $40k for the truck new. Laramie gassers with similar low mileage were lucky to get $8K. Had I held longer, I would have gotten more.

Aboutree50

Reaction score
Get what you want. It's a big purchase, don't settle. A gasser or diesel will both handle that trailer well.

Diesels are more expensive upfront as well throughout the lifetime of the truck, whatever you get once you sell it will be a wash compared to a gasser. Diesels get old as a daily driver real quick, specially modern ones.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
For as much as these trucks cost, why settle? Order it and get exactly what you want. In my 2020 MegaCab I have the 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 rear end. It tows my 30' 9000 pound TT like a beast! Plenty of power in the mountains and the gear limiter slows it nicely on the downhills. I did the research and also talked with my uncle (diesel mechanic) and going with the gasser was an easy decision. Yes it saved me roughly 10k out the door, but the biggest issue was how the modern diesel is hamstrung by the environmental controls. Def and regen issue can become costly. Don't get me wrong, the Cummins is a great engine and if you tow heavy and often it is the way to go. But diesels do not do well sitting around or used for short trips. Only downside on the big Hemi is it is a thirsty beast. But you can buy an awful lot of gas for 10k. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone purchased something for $10,000 in 2004 and then sold it for $10,000 in 2021 they actually lost $3,100 since the purchasing power of the US dollar declines with each successive year. If you would have sold that same item for $14,100 in 2021 you could then claim you got all of your money back.

Thanks for the economics lesson.

The point was that the CTD trucks are still selling at a higher price than the gassers and the up front cost differential, and then some, was still maintained.

Iowa Wagon

Reaction score
Skip on the 19-20 CTD with the dreaded CP4… Get a nice used 18 or wait for a 21, just my opinion.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Buy the cummins if you can get a "good deal" on it. Ordering is great if you can wait 6+ months.

I doubt anybody on this forum will tell you they regret the diesel purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread