Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck moves when put in park with Emergency Brake engaged

b1lanc

Reaction score
Not sure what sub-forum this might fit in. I've noticed this since day one when trying to line up the gooseball with the Goosebox. On flat and level ground the truck will move maybe an inch or less - sometimes forward and sometimes back. This happens with or without the emergency brake engaged and I then have to re-adjust to drop the hitch. But, this also happens in my garage on a slab with nothing attached. I have very little room front to back in the garage bay so I try to get as close to the wall (backing in) as possible. Putting the truck in park, it has rolled both forward at times and back - even bumping the wall on occasion with the Emergency Brake engaged. I've never had any vehicle 'relax' after putting in park and taking the foot off the brake pedal. Anyone else experienced this? I would have thought there would be no movement with the e-brake engaged but there is nearly every single time. The E-brake is fully functional otherwise.
Thanks,
John

b1lanc

Reaction score
That's what I have started doing - just to let it settle into where it wanted to be - seems to have worked.

sanda

Reaction score
I started noticing this when they went from drum to rear disc brakes. ( yea I'm that old). I also engage the e brake prior to putting it into park.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I've found when backing up to hitch up that when I get the ball aligned, I'll put it in drive, then in park, then engage the parking brake and it doesn't roll.

jsalbre

Reaction score
It's mostly due to drivetrain torque loading up the suspension, and then it setting when you release the brakes. You can see this just by holding the brakes and pressing the gas a little bit when you're stopped. The truck will raise up a bit, then settle back down when you let off some brake pressure.

Hambone11

Reaction score
My 2022 and now my 2024 2500 does the same As others had mentioned, if I take it out of drive (or reverse if I was backing) and unload the torque on the suspension before I put it in park, it doesn’t move. I have to remember to do that every time I line up to the ball of my trailer.

Raminmo

Reaction score
Mine does that. I always worried I'd hit the wall in the garage because I have to pull in to within about an inch from the wall. I'll have to try the putting into neutral thing.

Users who are viewing this thread