Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck bucking when stopping w bumper pull horse trailer

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It did happen on the ram 3500. However, it had airbags, but not leaf springs. They were factory installed airbags.

The 3500's are an air assist setup. They have leaf springs and airbags. The leaf springs are different than the standard 3500 springs, but there are still leaf springs.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
is the 2500 steel or air suspension? I’m assuming steel, but confirm.

If you weren’t in the truck with the dealer when they were testing with the 3500 I wouldn’t put much stock in it. The dealer is primarily concerned with proving the problem is not with the truck… not true for every dealer, but true all too often. 3500’s with air do have leaf springs, as others have said.

Are you using a WDH? some folks will give you hard time for using one or not, but to each their own; i’m just curious as it’s a variable.

as other has said, it sounds like a light tongue weight. might throw some weights in the front of the trailer if you can.

Sig

Reaction score
No. The problem is not the truck.

Man, look. We can’t help you without knowing the weight of your setup. Without that we are just guessing.

Your trailer shop is completely incompetent if they are scratching their heads and haven’t weighed your setup. That’s the first step in solving the problem. Fully inflated airbags aren’t the answer on a (single axle?) two horse trailer.
I hear ya man. I’m on a road trip and when I get back, I can get the weight and tongue weight. I’m also waiting for a call back from Sundowner. Thanks for your help.

Sig

Reaction score
is the 2500 steel or air suspension? I’m assuming steel, but confirm.

If you weren’t in the truck with the dealer when they were testing with the 3500 I wouldn’t put much stock in it. The dealer is primarily concerned with proving the problem is not with the truck… not true for every dealer, but true all too often. 3500’s with air do have leaf springs, as others have said.

Are you using a WDH? some folks will give you hard time for using one or not, but to each their own; i’m just curious as it’s a variable.

as other has said, it sounds like a light tongue weight. might throw some weights in the front of the trailer if you can.
Steel suspension. I was there when they tested the 3500 and I was watching from outside when it happened. It’s almost like when he stopped the truck, the bed shifted up and then sat back down which started the oscillations. I am not using a WDH.

Throwing more weight on the tongue will be my next test, along w weighing it. Thank you.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
No. The problem is not the truck.

I would like to add a note to this part. I don’t think it would be the cause but could be worth a check…

A handful of members have had rear shocks go bad early on these trucks, including myself @ about 2k miles

Typically not very noticeable and usually detected by visually noticing a leak rather than by road feel.

Again, I don’t think it’s the cause of the issue and I don’t think it would fix the issue but it could exacerbate the bouncy symptoms.

That’s really the only thing that I’d check on the truck. Let us know when you give her a weigh.

Reactions: Sig

mountainears

Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 with factory air and a two horse straight load with an average size tack room. I have pulled with two horses and have had no issues.

Your trailer have a tack room up front? If not, that would make mine a little longer I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PD Luke

Reaction score
Another thing to check - what are your horses doing while stopping? Chances are low this is the reason, but you can at least eliminate it from the list. We had a horse that moved a lot and experienced some of the same issues while stopping and regular highway driving.

Sig

Reaction score
I would like to add a note to this part. I don’t think it would be the cause but could be worth a check…

A handful of members have had rear shocks go bad early on these trucks, including myself @ about 2k miles

Typically not very noticeable and usually detected by visually noticing a leak rather than by road feel.

Again, I don’t think it’s the cause of the issue and I don’t think it would fix the issue but it could exacerbate the bouncy symptoms.

That’s really the only thing that I’d check on the truck. Let us know when you give her a weigh.
I will weigh her on Monday after I get back into town. Thank you for your suggestion on the shocks.

Sig

Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 with factory air and a two horse straight load with an average size tack room. I have pulled with two horses and have had no issues.

Your trailer have a tack room up front? If not, that would make mine a little longer I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have sworn that you would have the same issue! I’ve tried two trailers on this truck w the same issue.

I have a normal size tac room up front as well. So our trailers sound similar.

Your truck sounds similar to the 3500 we tested at the dealership.

I’m sure we will get to the bottom of it but I’m still confused on the whole issue.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I will weigh her on Monday after I get back into town. Thank you for your suggestion on the shocks.

Look for a closed weigh station on your route home, if you have the trailer.

Sig

Reaction score
Another thing to check - what are your horses doing while stopping? Chances are low this is the reason, but you can at least eliminate it from the list. We had a horse that moved a lot and experienced some of the same issues while stopping and regular highway driving.
The trailer shop was watching the horses through the door and they were just standing there but they were getting bounced around. I wonder what happens if I switch to different horses.

jetrinka

Reaction score
We had horses growing up and I hold no love for the stinky animals. ;) I’m willing to bet they’re being vindictive and all leaning towards the back of the trailer on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread