Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trips - over the road Minnesota to Florida and back...

MSundet

Reaction score
I’m taking a trip and heading to Florida, with this being said I will be putting close to 4000 miles on my truck. Looking for any exciting stops along the way, any exciting people along the way etc.

Has anyone made the trip from Minnesota to Florida and back?

Looking for a good stopping points or places that is a must see or a must stay there ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peewee86

Reaction score
I have family in the St. Petersburg FL so I have made the trek from Minneapolis to Saint Petersburg twice a year for the last quarter century, although we seem to fly more often than drive lately. Most often we do it in two days and use Paducah Kentucky as a stopping point. It is the midway point for our drive and there are inexpensive hotels in Paducah. Last month while driving home after a Thanksgiving visit we hit a deer and totaled out our car just East of Paducah. The tow truck driver told us that it happens 3 to 4 times a week in that stretch of highway. We were on I 24 at about mile marker six. Be careful.

On the north end of the drive there are two possible routes. You can go through Wisconsin and down through Illinois or you can go south through Iowa down to St. Louis and then head east towards Southern Illinois. According to my GPS the difference between the different routes is only 11 miles and less than 15 minutes. If you’re passing through St. Louis during daylight hours and it is decent weather it’s fun to stop by the arch. Of course St. Louis has many other visitor stops depending on your taste.

In Nashville they have a full size replica of the Parthenon. (https://www.nashvilleparthenon.com) It’s in a city park so it’s free to walk around the outside although you have to pay admission if you want to see the inside . Also in Nashville is the Opryland Hotel. The gardens and grounds very are impressive but the whole place is not for the faint of wallet.

We’ve never made any tourist stops in the Atlanta area. We are usually watching the GPS and trying to avoid traffic delays as best we can. In Ocala Florida there is the Don Garlits museum of drag racing. I’ve never had the chance to stop there but it’s on my bucket list.

Safe Travels - PeeWee

MSundet

Reaction score
I have family in the St. Petersburg FL so I have made the trek from Minneapolis to Saint Petersburg twice a year for the last quarter century, although we seem to fly more often than drive lately. Most often we do it in two days and use Paducah Kentucky as a stopping point. It is the midway point for our drive and there are inexpensive hotels in Paducah. Last month while driving home after a Thanksgiving visit we hit a deer and totaled out our car just East of Paducah. The tow truck driver told us that it happens 3 to 4 times a week in that stretch of highway. We were on I 24 at about mile marker six. Be careful.

On the north end of the drive there are two possible routes. You can go through Wisconsin and down through Illinois or you can go south through Iowa down to St. Louis and then head east towards Southern Illinois. According to my GPS the difference between the different routes is only 11 miles and less than 15 minutes. If you’re passing through St. Louis during daylight hours and it is decent weather it’s fun to stop by the arch. Of course St. Louis has many other visitor stops depending on your taste.

In Nashville they have a full size replica of the Parthenon. (https://www.nashvilleparthenon.com) It’s in a city park so it’s free to walk around the outside although you have to pay admission if you want to see the inside . Also in Nashville is the Opryland Hotel. The gardens and grounds very are impressive but the whole place is not for the faint of wallet.

We’ve never made any tourist stops in the Atlanta area. We are usually watching the GPS and trying to avoid traffic delays as best we can. In Ocala Florida there is the Don Garlits museum of drag racing. I’ve never had the chance to stop there but it’s on my bucket list.

Safe Travels - PeeWee

Thank you for this information very helpful and I’m glad to know who has done this trip we are doing the ark encounter. Always wanted to see this!

MSundet

Reaction score
Heading out this week... great timing for the weather

Great LOL

Users who are viewing this thread