Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip Meter Question

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I just got home from an across the US and back again road trip with my 22 3500 Laramie and the hours on the trip meter don't make sense. Believe me, I was in the saddle for a helluva lot more time than 40 hours. Just dividing the milage by 60 mph is 122.75 hours. Can someone shed a little light on this, I haven't found anything in the OM to explain it? Thanks.

Attachments

• Trip meter.jpg
    Trip meter.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 29

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Reset at 100 hrs I do believe.

That was my thought. Add 100 hours to be correct, which brings the average to 52 mph and believable for a highway road trip.

Even 200 additional hours is feasible at an average speed of 30.6 mph.

On a side note, you can ditch the oil pressure gauge for something useful. There isn’t an oil pressure, or temperature, transducer on the engine so both those readings are fake.

Last edited:

CaptainMike

Reaction score
That was my thought. Add 100 hours to be correct, which brings the average to 52 mph and believable for a highway road trip.

Even 200 additional hours is feasible at an average speed of 30.6 mph.

On a side note, you can ditch the oil pressure gauge for something useful. There isn’t an oil pressure, or temperature, transducer on the engine so both those readings are fake.
I guess that's why it always reads 51 psi. What a waste of time that is and why bother if it's useless information. Maybe I'll put transmission temp in there, although it never got over 168 at any point towing on this trip, and I make my rigs work hard. I wish they had a pyrometer, though. To me that's the most important piece of information for a diesel engine, especially when towing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess that's why it always reads 51 psi. What a waste of time that is and why bother if it's useless information. Maybe I'll put transmission temp in there, although it never got over 168 at any point towing on this trip, and I make my rigs work hard. I wish they had a pyrometer, though. To me that's the most important piece of information for a diesel engine, especially when towing.

It's been 20 years since a Cummins registered accurate oil pressure in a Dodge/Ram, but at least we can finally turn that gauge off.

Unless you're working the truck hard with the torque converter unlocked you won't see the trans temp increase any, but I still have trans temp in the lower left corner.

I use a CTS3 to see the OEM pyro readings. They are fun to watch, but there is no reason to have an OEM EGT gauge. The motor will not run too hot.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
It's been 20 years since a Cummins registered accurate oil pressure in a Dodge/Ram, but at least we can finally turn that gauge off.

Unless you're working the truck hard with the torque converter unlocked you won't see the trans temp increase any, but I still have trans temp in the lower left corner.

I use a CTS3 to see the OEM pyro readings. They are fun to watch, but there is no reason to have an OEM EGT gauge. The motor will not run too hot

I worked it hard on a few long grades and it would have been nice to see where the EGT's were. I've had my '15 go into safety mode a few times and I expected the '22 to hit that threshold a couple of times, but it didn't. Still, it would be nice to know where the sweet spot is to avoid the safety shut down. I'm probably too old school for the new diesel technology, having started running heavy equipment with dad almost 50 years ago now. It's still probably mostly true now, but we were taught then to run our equipment full throttle for peak performance and efficiency. One of the first things I noticed when I got my '15, and true for the '22 as well, if that these trucks are smarter than I am!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I worked it hard on a few long grades and it would have been nice to see where the EGT's were. I've had my '15 go into safety mode a few times and I expected the '22 to hit that threshold a couple of times, but it didn't. Still, it would be nice to know where the sweet spot is to avoid the safety shut down. I'm probably too old school for the new diesel technology, having started running heavy equipment with dad almost 50 years ago now. It's still probably mostly true now, but we were taught then to run our equipment full throttle for peak performance and efficiency. One of the first things I noticed when I got my '15, and true for the '22 as well, if that these trucks are smarter than I am!

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of a truck going into safety mode for EGT’s. I know it’s in the programming, but this is the first I’ve heard of it. I wouldn’t expect it on your 22, it’s not normal even when working them WOT.

What did it tell you when it happened?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Can’t say I’ve ever heard of a truck going into safety mode for EGT’s. I know it’s in the programming, but this is the first I’ve heard of it. I wouldn’t expect it on your 22, it’s not normal even when working them WOT.

What did it tell you when it happened?
It was on the '15 and 5-6 years ago. I don't recall seeing a message, but I was towing the 5th wheel up a steep grade and about 2/3 the way up it went into what I call safety mode. It wouldn't let me go over 35 mph until after I crested the hill and started down the other side. I assumed it was because of the EGT. It happened one other time as well.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It was on the '15 and 5-6 years ago. I don't recall seeing a message, but I was towing the 5th wheel up a steep grade and about 2/3 the way up it went into what I call safety mode. It wouldn't let me go over 35 mph until after I crested the hill and started down the other side. I assumed it was because of the EGT. It happened one other time as well.

I don’t recall the specific details, but I do recall reading about some trucks being limited to 10 psi of boost at elevation due to a software glitch. I wonder if that was your issue.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Both times I was climbing Siskiyou Summit out of Ashland, OR and it tops out around 4,000', not what I'd consider "altitude". I did the Rockies last year without it happening, but I was with a group and wasn't pushing as hard. Great discussion and information, though, thanks for chiming in.

Users who are viewing this thread