Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission stuck in park

Nickhenry

Reaction score
My 2020 3500HO with the aisin transmission will get stuck in park occasionally.

If I start the truck with the remote it's fine but if I start the truck with the push button and let it idle for a few minutes no matter how hard I press the brake or how many times the only way to get out of park it to shut the truck off and restart it.

Thank you

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
This has happened to me a couple of times. I figured I was mindlessly doing something wrong, so I just shut it off and started over. I almost always remote start my truck though. Unsure if I did or did not when this happens.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall being surprised/confused by this a few times. Seems if I took my foot off the brake too quickly (or was too light), or tried shifting too quickly right after starting it acted weird. Try cycling your foot off/on the brake pedal before trying to shift it out of park.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Well my 2020 and 2021 do something similar . When I'm sitting in a drive through if I put it in park but continue to keep my foot on the brake it won't go into gear , but if I just take it off the brake and reapply it then shift it back into gear it is fine .

Last edited:

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I don’t know if this helps, was a fluke, or if I can repeat it, but I will try tomorrow. I remote started my truck, got in to back out of the shop, could not shift out of park...noticed oil pressure gauge not registering. It kinda freaked me out as truck was running. I just pushed the start button thinking I would just shutdown and restart, it did not shut off but the gauges came alive as the truck continued to run. I drove away as normal. I assume this is an anti theft feature and pushing button again communicated with the fob to allow me to put transmission in gear. If it replicates tomorrow, I am going to assume my suspicion to be correct.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this helps, was a fluke, or if I can repeat it, but I will try tomorrow. I remote started my truck, got in to back out of the shop, could not shift out of park...noticed oil pressure gauge not registering. It kinda freaked me out as truck was running. I just pushed the start button thinking I would just shutdown and restart, it did not shut off but the gauges came alive as the truck continued to run. I drove away as normal. I assume this is an anti theft feature and pushing button again communicated with the fob to allow me to put transmission in gear. If it replicates tomorrow, I am going to assume my suspicion to be correct.

Working as designed.

If you remote start, you have to press the brake and hit the start button to wake it up.

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 does this. I think that when I place the key deep in the center console, the truck thinks the keys are not in the cab. But I haven't tested this theory yet, it's only happened a couple times.

Nick

Reaction score
When you remote start nothing shows upon the gauges. just touch the brake and hit the start button again and it all comes alive . Magic ! Works like that every time . I think it shuts down automatically after 15 min in remote start mode . If you need to idle for an extended period tun on the cruise and it will jump up to one thousand to eleven hundred RPMs

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When you remote start nothing shows upon the gauges. just touch the brake and hit the start button again and it all comes alive . Magic ! Works like that every time . I think it shuts down automatically after 15 min in remote start mode . If you need to idle for an extended period tun on the cruise and it will jump up to one thousand to eleven hundred RPMs
After pressing - to engage high idle @1000RPM initial, press + all the way to 1500RPM if you desire.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My 2021 3500 does this. I think that when I place the key deep in the center console, the truck thinks the keys are not in the cab. But I haven't tested this theory yet, it's only happened a couple times.
I don’t have remote start and I have a gas truck but for what it’s worth you can drive away without your keys If the truck is already started with the keys present and then the keys walk away.

I drove home from work, left the truck running and ran inside to get an item for a trade deal. I sat my keys on the counter. I drove away and didn’t notice the warning message til a few minutes later because I was running late for my trade deal. Drove 45 minutes round trip back to the house without the keys present.

Reaction score
I don’t have remote start and I have a gas truck but for what it’s worth you can drive away without your keys If the truck is already started with the keys present and then the keys walk away.

I drove home from work, left the truck running and ran inside to get an item for a trade deal. I sat my keys on the counter. I drove away and didn’t notice the warning message til a few minutes later because I was running late for my trade deal. Drove 45 minutes round trip back to the house without the keys present.
Interesting. That makes sense if you just have pushbutton start but not remote start or the proximity keys. I know on my 2021 I cannot do this. It locks the truck into park.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Working as designed.

If you remote start, you have to press the brake and hit the start button to wake it up.

Actually, you do not need to press the brake to wake it up after a remote start. Just hit the start button. I do it almost every morning. Of course to get it out of park you do.

Skooter76

Reaction score
Interesting. That makes sense if you just have pushbutton start but not remote start or the proximity keys. I know on my 2021 I cannot do this. It locks the truck into park.
I had a plow installed in January. Picked up the truck on Saturday morning and headed for the lumber yard (god I wish I had bought everything I needed at that time). About 3 miles out the owner called to say he still had my FOB in his pocket. I do have remote start and proximity keys.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, you do not need to press the brake to wake it up after a remote start. Just hit the start button. I do it almost every morning. Of course to get it out of park you do.
You're probably right. Habit I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread