Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans Temp Question

Will_T

Reaction score
Last week on a towing trip with my only 8,000 lb. TT, there was a long grade of freeway with lots of traffic. Near the bottom a semi pulled out to pass another semi and both lanes slowed to about 35mph for most of the uphill grade. My truck was running in 4th gear at about 2000 rpms or maybe a bit less. The thing is that in this gear the trans temp climbed to 212 degrees. I had never seen that before but also had never been stuck at that speed uphill. Usually, the truck just pulls the TT up at whatever speed I want in 5th gear and the trans temps run anywhere from 170 to 185 max. It took a few minutes once I crested the pass before the temps came back down under 200. Then for the rest of the trip it was 170 to 180 or so. I guess it just did not like the gear it was in pulling up the pass. Is that temp of 212 anything to be concerned about? Or since it was only for 10 minutes or so and came back down, all should be good?

mkmsr

Reaction score
I doubt you have anything to worry about. It was only 10 minutes and was probably due to the trans cooler not getting good airflow while being behind another vehicle and the gear/incline combination. I also have my transmission serviced every two years because I tow and know the fluid gets hot from time to time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
212 is not hot for a trans if it got 250 then id be worried FCA says 270 For the 68rfe to be overheated

Users who are viewing this thread