Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans slip when cold on 23 2500

JRapson

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just got a 23 2500 and it seems to slip when I reverse and then go into drive when cold. It only does it until it warms up and then it's fine. Makes a pretty noticeable noise too. Also I make sure I come to a complete stop before shifting into drive. Any ideas? Just a bit worried because I wasn't having a good time with the trans in my last truck and don't feel like dealing with that again.

flan

Reaction score
Is it only the first 30 sec of operation after a cold start where it had been sitting for a few days?

JRapson

Reaction score
Haven't talked to the dealer yet. Not sure how big of a problem it is... It almost feels like it's the torque converter slipping. It does it almost every time I shut it off for more than roughly 15min. Could there be a pressure leak?

flan

Reaction score
Mine only does it after sitting for a few weeks, I put it in reverse to go out of the garage and no movement for a few seconds, I attribute it to torque converter drain back, once it refills it’s fine for the rest of the day or whatever. Sounds like yours is a different situation for sure. Let us know what they find, would be interesting to learn.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Would help to know if you have the 8 speed or 68rfe

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just got a 23 2500 and it seems to slip when I reverse and then go into drive when cold. It only does it until it warms up and then it's fine. Makes a pretty noticeable noise too. Also I make sure I come to a complete stop before shifting into drive. Any ideas? Just a bit worried because I wasn't having a good time with the trans in my last truck and don't feel like dealing with that again.
Hello,
We recommend visiting your dealership to get a diagnosis on this concern. Please send us a private message once you set up an appointment, we shall assist you further.
Sylvia
Ram cares

AaronG

Reaction score
My 2022 RAM 2500 CTD with 68rfe does the exact same thing. It has in the past set the code P0868. It has spent a total of 4 weeks at the dealer over this, and it is as bad now as it was when it started. Initially they did some kind of software reset which did nothing. Next visit they had the truck for 2 weeks with no communication. When I finally called them about it they told me it needed a Trans module and Chrysler would not approve it. They called me back the next day and told me a star case had been opened and they were going to replace valve body and pressure sensor. It took about 2 months for the parts to arrive. When I took it back to have them installed they had it another week. It worked properly for about a week after I got it back and now it is slipping when cold again.

I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me that it is either pump or TC related, and something is losing its prime overnight. I suspect it is a fairly straightforward repair but the techs at the dealership just dont have the know-how to fix it. It is a shame, the transmission works perfectly once you get going, but I am sure it is being damaged every time it slips.

While we generally like the vehicle and the CTD is an absolute workhorse, we will most likely trade it in on something else and just take a loss. We use the truck to go back and forth up I95 with a small trailer. It would be a catastrophe if it failed with our family and dogs in it. Good luck with yours.

• Sad
Reactions: jak

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 2022 RAM 2500 CTD with 68rfe does the exact same thing. It has in the past set the code P0868. It has spent a total of 4 weeks at the dealer over this, and it is as bad now as it was when it started. Initially they did some kind of software reset which did nothing. Next visit they had the truck for 2 weeks with no communication. When I finally called them about it they told me it needed a Trans module and Chrysler would not approve it. They called me back the next day and told me a star case had been opened and they were going to replace valve body and pressure sensor. It took about 2 months for the parts to arrive. When I took it back to have them installed they had it another week. It worked properly for about a week after I got it back and now it is slipping when cold again.

I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me that it is either pump or TC related, and something is losing its prime overnight. I suspect it is a fairly straightforward repair but the techs at the dealership just dont have the know-how to fix it. It is a shame, the transmission works perfectly once you get going, but I am sure it is being damaged every time it slips.

While we generally like the vehicle and the CTD is an absolute workhorse, we will most likely trade it in on something else and just take a loss. We use the truck to go back and forth up I95 with a small trailer. It would be a catastrophe if it failed with our family and dogs in it. Good luck with yours.
I would try a trans relearn that may help

AaronG

Reaction score
I would try a trans relearn that may help
The dealer has done that a couple times now, and it was their original solution. I believe it is listed on the work order as a "Transmission Verification Test".

Users who are viewing this thread