Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans shifting question - '19 SO 4x4 with 68 trans - 3rd gear

hpc3

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what the transmission is doing with the shift programming on the SO/68 trans? Gear shifts on mine feel solid and crisp (w and w/o tow mode on) in all shifts except in 3rd gear it acts like it is slipping initially and then it grabs fully. Shifts into 4th from 3rd are crisp as expected. Is there some sort of lockup/converter event that is causing this feeling? Curious mostly... truck drives and performs as expected otherwise. We're at ~2500mi and have done some light towing (~6500lbs) maybe 4 times now, ~200mi each trip. I have been watching the changes with the gear display in the cluster.

TIA for any feedback.

Hoffmann

Reaction score
I believe the 68rfe locks the torque converter in 3rd gear, so I would guess the "slip" your feeling is the torque converter being unlocked and not having a 100% engagement, and once it locks it feels better because it now it does have a 100% engagement.

I'm not a huge fan of the way this transmission shifts compared to my old duramax, it doesnt feel as smooth. but at the same time I do like that it locks the torque converter so soon because it feels like you get more power to the ground because it is locking up so soon.

So there's pros and cons to everything.

floradoyle

Reaction score
I believe the 68rfe locks the torque converter in 3rd gear, so I would guess the "slip" your feeling is the torque converter being unlocked and not having a 100% engagement, and once it locks it feels better because it now it does have a 100% engagement. happy wheels

I'm not a huge fan of the way this transmission shifts compared to my old duramax, it doesnt feel as smooth. but at the same time I do like that it locks the torque converter so soon because it feels like you get more power to the ground because it is locking up so soon.

Thanks, very helpful

Last edited:

hpc3

Reaction score
I believe the 68rfe locks the torque converter in 3rd gear, so I would guess the "slip" your feeling is the torque converter being unlocked and not having a 100% engagement, and once it locks it feels better because it now it does have a 100% engagement.

Thanks for the feedback. I think my '08 2500 HD had the same trans... I just don't recall much about it though. I do remember the 35" tires upsetting the shifting but that truck was more of a weekend toy vs the '19 I have now which is for horse/towing use. No real complaints just trying to understand what I'm feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread