Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans service

tom916

Reaction score
I took my 2016 3500 duly in to the ram dealer to have the trans filters changed. After 2 days they called me to say 18 of the 20 bolts on the trans pan broke. They said because the wholes were drilled all the way through and being from the north Salt and weather caused them to seize and they broke when trying to remove them. Has anyone else have this happen. They now have to remove the trans and take it to a machine shop to remove and tap all wholes.

Jeeper93436

Reaction score
They should have stopped after the 2nd or 3rd and called you to give you a heads up. I have never dealt with rusty bolts due to salt but I know they can get nasty. I doubt that all the bolts are drilled all the way through. I have a feeling someone screwed up trying to remove the bolts.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Galvanic corrosion could happen but that will happen if the holes are straight through or not, this is negligence and they should be paying besides why take it to a machine shop just drill and extract/ or drill and retap/helicoil

JimKIII

Reaction score
Galvanic corrosion could happen but that will happen if the holes are straight through or not, this is negligence and they should be paying besides why take it to a machine shop just drill and extract/ or drill and retap/helicoil
They probably don't know how.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I'm calling BS. Idiot just kept snapping them off. Right!!!!!!

red

Reaction score
IMO, there's a repair option that's better than heli coils. I used time serts a few years ago to replace the aluminum threads that held the seat in place on my Indian Chief Vintage motorcycle. The kit wasn't cheap but worked like a charm.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
IMO, there's a repair option that's better than heli coils. I used time serts a few years ago to replace the aluminum threads that held the seat in place on my Indian Chief Vintage motorcycle. The kit wasn't cheap but worked like a charm.
Yes timeserts work great but not something worth spending the extra on for a trans pan the heli coils would hold it stronger than OEM.

RTillery

Reaction score
Too many "Uga Ugas" with the zip gun? Hard to imagine breaking off 90% of them. He probably realized that 1/2" Milwaukee 1200 ft lbs had the switch reversed after 18 and finally switched it to "remove" for the last two? Gotta be careful with those little 6mm jobbers.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All this talk of drill and tap. Left hand drill bit followed by extractor. Those bolts only have 120in/lb (10lb/ft) they can’t be that stuck.
Oh yes they can when steel and aluminum get that galvanic Corrosion going on they become one just like rusted steel, the fix would have been heat and penetrating oil or wax then work the bolt back and forth until it comes out free then chase the threads with a tap, i have had it happen on more than one occasion on customer vehicles but unlike the hack who worked on the OP’s vehicle i never broke one as i would use a ratchet at first not the impact lol. Cast aluminum is worse than standard aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread