Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tranny temps

MarkV

Reaction score
I have a 14 ram 6.7 deleted what is normal temp on transmission when towing a 9500 pound camper should I use tow haul button? How about engine temp

jebruns

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my engine temps from my all stock 18 2500 Cummins. I was towing an 8K enclosed trailer over the Monarch Pass in Colorado, eastward. This was near the top of a several mile winding road, and I was not taking it easy. I considered the temps to be in the good range.
RamTempsMonarchPass.jpg

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Looks about like mine except my oil temp runs up. I saw it over 230 last week when water was running up to about 220 then coming back down.

Also doesn't it make a difference which transmission you have? I have the Aisin and it seems like it always runs cool, usually always 160-165. Highest I've ever seen it even in the most severe situation was 173.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Coolant should normally run 215-218° when towing heavy, but it may creep up to 220-225°. Cummins lists 225° as the max allowable temp for the 190° thermostat, but Ram lists it as 245°… I personally haven’t seen above 220° on either of my HO 6.7’s, even when pushed hard on hot days. 210-215° is where mine normally runs when towing on flats and smaller grades.

Deleted will likely run cooler ECT’s since the EGR cooler has a big effect on ECT’s. The temp ratings are the same thou, 190° crack, 207° full open, and 225° max allowable.

Oil temp is fake, ignore it. Along with oil pressure.

Trans temp depends on the trans and use. The Aisin will not really ever get above 165-167° towing with the torque converter locked, but it can climb with it unlocked which is generally just steep towing below 22-25 mph or slow stop and go. If you’re towing in those conditions downshift to 1st when possible and it will run cooler. I’ve seen mine around 200° on long, slow, heavy pulls on back roads.

Last edited:

MarkV

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses my tranny is 68rfe the highest it got was 212 degrees then cooled off rite away should I be concerned with this temp

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses my tranny is 68rfe the highest it got was 212 degrees then cooled off rite away should I be concerned with this temp

What conditions were you driving in?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anything under 230 is fine for the 68RFE if it was 230-270 i would be worried and over 270 the trans fluid is burnt and the trans is toast

MarkV

Reaction score
85 degree weather uphill at about 65 mph for 3 miles pulling a 9500# 40ft camper once I got to top two miles down road cooled off to 190s usually stays between 190 and 200 is this ok

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
85 degree weather uphill at about 65 mph for 3 miles pulling a 9500# 40ft camper once I got to top two miles down road cooled off to 190s usually stays between 190 and 200 is this ok

That should be fine. The 68 guys can chime in on torque converter locked temps climbing, as the Aisin doesn’t do that.

jkempken

Reaction score
I have seen about 190f on my 68 RFE pulling about 8-9klbs in south Dakota at 95mph in 100f weather. During that trip it also wouldn't hold speed up like an 8% grade, I think I crested the mile long hill at like 80 or something.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Coolant should normally run 215-218° when towing heavy, but it may creep up to 220-225°. Cummins lists 225° as the max allowable temp for the 190° thermostat, but Ram lists it as 245°… I personally haven’t seen above 220° on either of my HO 6.7’s, even when pushed hard on hot days. 210-215° is where mine normally runs when towing on flats and smaller grades.

The cooling fan doesn't even work hard enough to be heard until the 217* or so range. It becomes a loud bitch around 220 and will bring 225+ temps back down to the 2-teens in a hurry.

I don't buy the 225 "max" from cummins. That is artificially low.

Also, if you haven't seen over 220, you haven't worked the truck hard enough or in hot enough climates.

224 isn't enough to bother me, OP. Ive seen 224 plenty of times in 115* heat towing 14k lbs through the northern Nevada mountains in July. That fan will ensure you don't hurt the motor.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The cooling fan doesn't even work hard enough to be heard until the 217* or so range. It becomes a loud bitch around 220 and will bring 225+ temps back down to the 2-teens in a hurry.

Also, if you haven't seen over 220, you haven't worked the truck hard enough or in hot enough climates.

224 isn't enough to bother me, OP. Ive seen 224 plenty of times in 115* heat towing 14k lbs through the northern Nevada mountains in July. That fan will ensure you don't hurt the motor.

The fan is commanded to 100% by 218° so there shouldn't be much, if any, increase in fan rpms above that if the fan clutch is working properly.

You're right.. Cummins doesn't know what they are talking about :rolleyes: maybe you should go work for them and set them straight. It actually makes perfect sense, if you're that far above the fully open temp then the cooling system is inadequate for the heat being created by the engine.. either undersized or not working properly. It's about heat rejection and not what the motor can handle, the 180° thermostats have a max allowable of 212° and the 165° thermostats have a max allowable of 205°. Ram states 245° max, which is probably more inline with causing issues. If you're easily able to exceed 225° then it's probably time for some cooling system maintenance.

The hottest I've seen the truck isn't WOT on 100°+ days, it's 3/4 throttle where the rpms are lower. Downshift and the rpms come up and ECT's go down, WOT in those conditions does create more heat but also a lot more airflow from higher rpms.

Last edited:

MarkV

Reaction score

What is temp running on transmission when pulling do u recommend using tow haul button

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If i am towing anything more than my single axle utility trailer, I use tow/haul.

Similar, with trailers under about 4-5K I often don’t bother.

But some on winding mountain roads I use it empty.

With lighter weights it comes down to feel. Plenty of people use it empty 100% of the time, but that’s not for me.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The fan is commanded to 100% by 218° so there shouldn't be much, if any, increase in fan rpms above that if the fan clutch is working properly.

You're right.. Cummins doesn't know what they are talking about :rolleyes: maybe you should go work for them and set them straight. It actually makes perfect sense, if you're that far above the fully open temp then the cooling system is inadequate for the heat being created by the engine.. either undersized or not working properly. It's about heat rejection and not what the motor can handle, the 180° thermostats have a max allowable of 212° and the 165° thermostats have a max allowable of 205°. Ram states 245° max, which is probably more inline with causing issues. If you're easily able to exceed 225° then it's probably time for some cooling system maintenance.

The hottest I've seen the truck isn't WOT on 100°+ days, it's 3/4 throttle where the rpms are lower. Downshift and the rpms come up and ECT's go down, WOT in those conditions does create more heat but also a lot more airflow from higher rpms.

Thanks for the science education, Sharpie. Maybe you should call Ram and tell them also since according to you, they say 245.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What is temp running on transmission when pulling do u recommend using tow haul button

WIth the Aisin, I haven't seen above 180 in those extreme environments.

If Im towing something light, I don't bother with T/H. If our 14k 5'er is hooked up, I run in T/H and let the truck do the thinking.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the science education, Sharpie. Maybe you should call Ram and tell them also since according to you, they say 245.

Why would I call Ram…. I’m not disputing or calling them out for anything they said. Simply stating the differences and what they mean.

I’m also the one not “buying” anything published by the manufacturer of our engine.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
WIth the Aisin, I haven't seen above 180 in those extreme environments.

If Im towing something light, I don't bother with T/H. If our 14k 5'er is hooked up, I run in T/H and let the truck do the thinking.
What does T/H add? I used to punch the button with big loads but after I forgot it a few times, and it has to be punched after every time you start the truck, I was at a loss for what good it was doing. Just shift strategy?

It seems like when I have a trailer hooked up, it's pretty much going to do what it's going to do anyway regardless of whether or not T/H is selected.

I got in the habit of punching the T/H button with Duramax because transmission temps would spike otherwise. I don't see that with the Aisin so honestly, I've just about quit worrying about the T/H button with my Ram.

Maybe I'm missing something. If it's just shift strategy, I'm good with it. But with the exhaust brake selected, the truck utilizes the more aggressive downshift strategy when off the throttle whether or not T/H is selected or not. I never turn the EB off and it does not have be continually selected, it stays on.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What does T/H add? I used to punch the button with big loads but after I forgot it a few times, and it has to be punched after every time you start the truck, I was at a loss for what good it was doing. Just shift strategy?

It seems like when I have a trailer hooked up, it's pretty much going to do what it's going to do anyway regardless of whether or not T/H is selected.

I got in the habit of punching the T/H button with Duramax because transmission temps would spike otherwise. I don't see that with the Aisin so honestly, I've just about quit worrying about the T/H button with my Ram.

Maybe I'm missing something. If it's just shift strategy, I'm good with it. But with the exhaust brake selected, the truck utilizes the more aggressive downshift strategy when off the throttle whether or not T/H is selected or not. I never turn the EB off and it does not have be continually selected, it stays on.

It’s shift strategy.

What gears do you have?

It was more noticeable with the 3.42’s on my 18 than the 3.73’s on the 22, but it still makes a noticeable difference at low speeds. I have forgotten to reengage it a few times and can always feel low rpm power of the normal shifts.

Downshift is more aggressive with a trailer attached out of TH, but I find it’s still better with TH engaged.. especially in CC.

Users who are viewing this thread