Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS Wheel Size

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
Mopar OEM Trailer TPMS appears to be made for a trailer wheel with a wall thickest of 1/8". My Aluminum trailer wheel has a wall thickest of 3/8", which does not leave an adequate number of threads to allow the valve stem to have a proper install. Has anyone found a solution to get OEM sensors to fit the larger thickest at the valve stem? FYI - I've searched the internet to the best of my ability and I'm unable to find an answer to fit my needs, hoping someone here has solved the issue.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mopar OEM Trailer TPMS appears to be made for a trailer wheel with a wall thickest of 1/8". My Aluminum trailer wheel has a wall thickest of 3/8", which does not leave an adequate number of threads to allow the valve stem to have a proper install. Has anyone found a solution to get OEM sensors to fit the larger thickest at the valve stem? FYI - I've searched the internet to the best of my ability and I'm unable to find an answer to fit my needs, hoping someone here has solved the issue.
I have not seen the sensors but cant they be removed from the stems? You can get different stem kits at almost any tire shop/ dealer

Dlleno

Reaction score
same issue here. when I went to my local tire store, the technician showed me that the stem threads are just insufficient and he didn't see a way to utilize a different stem kit (I claim no expertise here). but I'm interested in hearing from others as well - if this truly is the case, then Ram has shut out the vast majority of late model recreational trailers with 7,000 lb axles and aluminum wheels, which is a great many fifth wheels from Grand Design, Alliance, Montanta and every other 7,000 lb. axle with aluminum wheels.

I saw the problem first hand -- simply not enough threads

mkmsr

Reaction score
It will work on smaller axled trailers with lighter aluminum wheels. Has worked well on my Grand Design Imagine. My tire guy commented on how long the stems were so I wonder if they have different one due to the supply issues.

You should be able to buy any aftermarket sensors with a longer treaded stem. I read they all operate on the same frequency... I can't confirm this first hand though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
same issue here. when I went to my local tire store, the technician showed me that the stem threads are just insufficient and he didn't see a way to utilize a different stem kit (I claim no expertise here). but I'm interested in hearing from others as well - if this truly is the case, then Ram has shut out the vast majority of late model recreational trailers with 7,000 lb axles and aluminum wheels, which is a great many fifth wheels from Grand Design, Alliance, Montanta and every other 7,000 lb. axle with aluminum wheels.

I saw the problem first hand -- simply not enough threads
I found this solution on an Alliance RV website and currently have a set on order. I'll report back on my findings if they work or not with our RV wheels. Valve Stem for RAM TPMS Sensor

Dlleno

Reaction score
oh wow thats good to know. So the Ram sensors CAN be rebuilt with a different stem, and the after-market has responded to the demand. This is good to know thank-you

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
oh wow thats good to know. So the Ram sensors CAN be rebuilt with a different stem, and the after-market has responded to the demand. This is good to know thank-you
Ram does not make the sensor so who ever makes the sensor make the different stems

Dlleno

Reaction score
got it. so the sensor supplied by Ram can be rebuilt with a different stem :) ,

JABAR357

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem today. TPMS stems do not have enough threads. Can anyone tell me if the Alliance RV website product work with 3/8'' aluminum Trailer Wheels?

Users who are viewing this thread