Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS vs aftermarket

jm888

Reaction score
On the TPMS option, it looks like these sensors have to be installed by a tire installer, right? Just wondering the difference between these and an aftermarket unit that you can buy from Amazon or somewhere for $150 or so and it looks like you can install it yourself. What are people's experiences with either?

Dakrt23

Reaction score
Just picked some mopar ones up off eBay for 125 shipped no reason to go aftermarket. Yes they need to be installed by tire shop.

jm888

Reaction score
Just picked some mopar ones up off eBay for 125 shipped no reason to go aftermarket. Yes they need to be installed by tire shop.
But don't you need to already have the option installed when you buy the truck? You just bought the sensors for the tires, right?

Dakrt23

Reaction score
But don't you need to already have the option installed when you buy the truck? You just bought the sensors for the tires, right?
Yes I’ve seen the trailer tire pressure screen on my truck so figured I’d just need the sensors for the new trailer on the way

jm888

Reaction score
Yes I’ve seen the trailer tire pressure screen on my truck so figured I’d just need the sensors for the new trailer on the way
So do all trucks come with this, and the $445 option is just for the sensors, or did your truck just have it?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If your truck came with Trailer TPMS, it came with a bag of 4 sensors. If you didn't get them, you got ripped off by the dealer.

If you or someone added the sales code DIY, then you would also have to obtain the sensors.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
On the TPMS option, it looks like these sensors have to be installed by a tire installer, right? Just wondering the difference between these and an aftermarket unit that you can buy from Amazon or somewhere for $150 or so and it looks like you can install it yourself. What are people's experiences with either?

The Trailer TPMS consists of parts installed on the truck and a bag of 4 factory MOPAR sensors/stems you would need to have installed by a tire shop as the ties will need to be partially dismounted.

There's a learning process for the truck to recognize the trailer TPMS sensors and tie them to a specific trailer in the settings.

You can purchase additional sensors singly or by packs of 4 for additional trailers. The part numbers are in the Trailer TPMS DIY thread sticky in the modifications forum.

jm888

Reaction score
After looking more into these and reading your comments, the Trailer TPMS is a $445 option and the trailer tires would have to be removed, taken to a shop, and have them install the sensors. I see stuff like this on Amazon for around $100-$150 or so and it seems much simpler as you just install the sensors on the valves yourself. Is the only advantage of the factory one so you don't have an extra device to pack around?

LightRacer

Reaction score
After looking more into these and reading your comments, the Trailer TPMS is a $445 option and the trailer tires would have to be removed, taken to a shop, and have them install the sensors. I see stuff like this on Amazon for around $100-$150 or so and it seems much simpler as you just install the sensors on the valves yourself. Is the only advantage of the factory one so you don't have an extra device to pack around?
Interesting point there. On one hand, if something goes wrong with the aftermarket ones, you are only out $100 or so and can easily replace the whole thing. Maybe if someone is hauling a trailer practically everyday it is probably more convenient to just show up on the truck's screen. I guess $445 is not that much if you are already spending $60k or $70k, but it all adds up. I don't know!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
The other thing to consider is installing those big heavy caps on rubber valve stems can cause leaks. Yes you are out more for the factory setup, but its nice to not have another thing to plug into power and mount somewhere. I had an aftermarket system and sold it when I got the system installed in my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread