Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS problems

Pronto

Reaction score
It's amazing how many dealers just reflexively lie instead of looking into a problem. My truck came with the sensors in one of the rear door storage compartments.

Bullpin22

Reaction score

Attachments

• B9E6F386-12C0-4DFB-A8AE-CF5792BFCE37.jpeg
    B9E6F386-12C0-4DFB-A8AE-CF5792BFCE37.jpeg
    977 KB · Views: 17

Bullpin22

Reaction score
It's amazing how many dealers just reflexively lie instead of looking into a problem. My truck came with the sensors in one of the rear door storage compartments.
During my inspection I noticed all the wheels had one locking lug nut. When I located the package in the glovebox, the socket was missing. The dealer told me they took it out and was inside with my other key. Ok
Now I’m wondering if the sensors were removed from the cab .........

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Understood.

I use a repeater with my Tireminder primarily because the boat trailer tires are WAY back there. I was disappointed that the TTPMS didn't show temps and ended up staying with my Tireminder after completing the mods. My Tireminder receiver is on the rear window, the repeater midships just in front of the RV axles tapped into a side marker light for power. Tireminder also let's me "disconnect" the second trailer. However, it doesn't accommodate multiple trailer setups like the factory system does.
I have been scratching my head wondering if there was a way to add my 2nd trailer but I tow it so infrequently I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been scratching my head wondering if there was a way to add my 2nd trailer but I tow it so infrequently I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

That was another thing that kept me in the Tireminder.

I will eventually get sensors for my ATV trailer and may go factory on that since it's unlikely I'll double tow it.

bfs673

Reaction score
May have been covered previously, but where is the OEM TTPMS receiver located?
I have a 38' 5th wheel and a bit concerned about drop outs. If this becomes an issue, perhaps I can mount the sensor on the trailer and set up the wiring / plug so it's easy to connect.

bfs673

Reaction score
I have a 38' 5th wheel and a bit concerned about drop outs. If this becomes an issue, perhaps I can mount the sensor on the trailer and set up the wiring / plug so it's easy to connect.

Answering my own question, thought I'd post it here in the even someone else is looking:

"On 2500/3500 pickup trucks, (DJ and D2) the in-cab controls, chassis wiring and TPM receiver module have been factory installed. The module is located behind the rear license plate. A kit containing all required hardware for the sensor installation is provided and can be found in the cab of the vehicle." - Posted by "Well-Known Member"

RossT

Reaction score
I would imagine the drop out issues are sensor related. I added the system after buying the truck, paired the sensors when I had new tires installed on the travel trailer. The pairing process was a pain, drop 5 psi and wait, the system timed out several times, but I was successful with the pairing process. The trailer sat for about 3 weeks then hauled it on a 2000 mile round trip without a hiccup. My travel trailer is 40 feet from hitch to tail, she's looong for a bumper pull... lol The distance from the hitch to the front axle is 25 or 26 feet, so comparable to the fivers y'all are talking about.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Food for thought: Ford locates the TPMS receiver on the end of their camera/TPMS umbilical at the trailer side.

mlink

Reaction score
Although the components look exactly the same, Ford must use a different setup to locate the receiver on the trailer.

As an experiment, I built a 15' extension to the receiver harness to move it closer to the wheel sensors in an attempt to verify that RAM has a "range issue". Sure enough, each sensor connected and registered on the configuration utility. My plan was to relocate the receiver closer to the sensors (to the trailer) like Ford. This didn't work.

When I disconnected the harness (removing the power feed to the receiver), it erased the configuration and I had to start over again. It seems constant power to the receiver is necessary to hold the saved configuration. Once you disconnect the 5th Wheel from the truck, you loose the configuration.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Although the components look exactly the same, Ford must use a different setup to locate the receiver on the trailer.

As an experiment, I built a 15' extension to the receiver harness to move it closer to the wheel sensors in an attempt to verify that RAM has a "range issue". Sure enough, each sensor connected and registered on the configuration utility. My plan was to relocate the receiver closer to the sensors (to the trailer) like Ford. This didn't work.

When I disconnected the harness (removing the power feed to the receiver), it erased the configuration and I had to start over again. It seems constant power to the receiver is necessary to hold the saved configuration. Once you disconnect the 5th Wheel from the truck, you loose the configuration.

Perhaps they use more than one receiver?

As in one behind the bumper for short trailers and to keep the config alive and one (optional) for the longer trailers.

Just thinking out loud...

bfs673

Reaction score
I was very disappointed with the TPM sensors; they do NOT fit my trailers aluminum wheels / G rated tires (4k lb capacity).
I paid for this option, as well as the trailer camera just to find out I can't use the TPMS, and the camera quality VERY expensive, and quality if relatively poor.

I think the '22 option to extend the rear view mirror camera to the rear of the trailer is brilliant. Shocked they didn't come up with it sooner.

mlink

Reaction score
My 5th Wheel ('12 Redwood 36RL) came with alloy wheels and Goodyear G-rated tires. The sensors that came with my truck (Mopar 68433188AA). fit the trailer wheels' stem holes. I think they are .625" holes.

They don't work (see above) but at least they fit.

Now, Mopar has superseded the above kit for Mopar 68516743aa TTPMS kit.

I'm willing to throw in another $174.02 (plus reinstallation) for the superseded part number - hoping they have improved range to reach the back of my truck and register.

Dodgeman

Reaction score

mlink, did you ever solve this problem? I am thinking of the exact same solution when I get the new 3500 (June-ish 2022, I hope) as I have a 43 ft 5th wheel. Could you isolate the + wire in the module extension and power it from the RV batteries to keep the memory? How did you build the harness? Could you provide some info? Thanks much

CdnHO

Reaction score
Having the sensor random drop out issues most commonly on the rear axle. I ordered a replacement receiver module hoping it will fix it. Dealer is useless.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Having the sensor random drop out issues most commonly on the rear axle. I ordered a replacement receiver module hoping it will fix it. Dealer is useless.
Now dealer is saying that 68375990AC is for 1500 only. Wants to sell me a Gateway Control Module instead. Arrrggh. Told him to order the part number I specifically asked for and that his book was wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread