Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS problems

rpetersen

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 dually with the TTPMS option factory installed. I took the trailer in to have the valve stems replaced with the provided sensors, and I'm trying to add them using the Uconnect menu. I can get through setting the number of axles and wheels, then the pressure, but trying to get each sensor recognized is a nightmare. My trailer is a 32' gooseneck, distance from the rear trailer wheel to truck bumper is 28'. I can usually get tires 1 and 2 (front and rear driver side respectively) to be recognized, but can never get the third (rear passenger side) to pair. If I move to the fourth tire (front passenger) (skipping the 3rd) it does pair as the 3rd tire. I've tried moving the truck so it is sitting much closer to the tires on the trailer, still no luck.

I have an aftermarket tire monitor (TST 507) from my last truck using the screw on sensors, and that worked reliably from the trailer tires to the receiver on the windshield (no repeater required), so I don't understand how the Ram system is so unreliable when the receiver is all the way at the back of the truck. I can't find any information on the max distance for trailer tires to rear of truck, and there is no information on troubleshooting.

Is there any way to determine if the sensors are working? I asked my dealer about this, and the service advisor was not even aware the feature existed (I had to explain to him how it worked - well, supposed to work). The really frustrating part is that even the sensors that seem to be working will pair one time, then not a second time (and if you don't pair all 4 in the setup, it makes you start the whole process over).

Rick

Pronto

Reaction score
Sounds like the sensor in tire 3 isn't working. You've verified that the sensor is installed in that tire? You could try taking off tire 3 and moving it up to the truck verify that it's not a distance issue but it sounds like you've already done a variation of that. Who installed the sensors for you? I'd call them and see about taking that tire back to them to have it checked.

rpetersen

Reaction score
Sounds like the sensor in tire 3 isn't working. You've verified that the sensor is installed in that tire? You could try taking off tire 3 and moving it up to the truck verify that it's not a distance issue but it sounds like you've already done a variation of that. Who installed the sensors for you? I'd call them and see about taking that tire back to them to have it checked.
Discount Tire installed the sensors - the dealer said they can't work on the trailer (including installing the sensors) due to insurance issues. I'll check with Discount to see if their tester will work on these sensors - I'd assume they would, but have seen several other threads where there was talk of using 3rd party sensors, but the answer was always 'they have to be the Mopar ones'.

Pronto

Reaction score
Discount installed my Mopar ones. I had trouble at first getting anything to pair but you're not having that issue. I'd see what Discount has to say.

steve49

Reaction score
Discount Tire installed my TTPMS about a week ago and then I did the setup at home without any issues. I don't have quite the distance as you do but if your getting three to register, I would wonder about the individual sensor. My truck didn't come with the trailer tire setup, I had to order all the parts and install, pretty easy and nice feature to have!

rpetersen

Reaction score
I was finally able to get through the trailer tire setup with all 4 tires - I moved the trailer so I had some room, then disconnected, and backed the truck up to the rear of the trailer. Once that was completed, I hooked back up and drove for about 20 miles to make sure all sensors were reporting. It took a couple minutes for all 4 to show up, but everything looked good - pressure did change as I drove and the tires heated up. But just as I was turning back onto my road sensor 4 (passenger side front tire) went red in the display. All others continued to report. It seems like if this was distance-related I would have lost 1 or both of the rear tires.

It is virtually impossible to find any information on this system. I talked to the service department where I bought the truck, and they first told me that they had never heard of the TTPMS. He looked up my truck and did see the option for it, but had no idea how it worked or any other info on it. To his credit, he did call me after I left to say he had done some research and found some information about it (he seemed amazed that they had this), but nothing regarding specifications or capabilities.

Has anyone else using the system had issues with 1 or more tires going red? If so, do they come and go? The whole point of this is to alert me in case of loss of pressure, but if I can't depend on it how does that help me?

steve49

Reaction score
Did you check to see if the tire lost enough air pressure, since it will turn red when the pressure drops below the setting?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a few others have reported issues with longer trailers. Best advice I could offer is consider extending the receiver from the bumper to the RV. Ferd puts theirs out on the end of the camera umbilical.

I wish I was in a position to test my Tireminder repeater with the RAM TTPMS, but I don't have a lot of faith it would help extend the range. Even though I installed the TTPMS DIY, I doubt it would reach my boat tires so I'm just going to stick with the Tireminder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the RAM TTPMS doesn't show temps? I did pick up an ATV trailer over the summer and may get two sensors for that just for giggles.

Bullpin22

Reaction score
So it sounds like it may be a good idea to pair the sensors before having them installed in the tire. Check for faulty sensor.... if that is an option. Are the sensors "activated" when installed ?
When the new build gets here it should have the trailer TPMS option and I'll be getting new tires put on the RV.

Bullpin22

Reaction score
So I confirmed with local tire shop they will install the sensors and can get the ST tires I want for the RV.
A few more weeks and I should have the sensors in hand. Then to figure out how to verify they work before handing them off to the tire barn.

steve49

Reaction score
So I confirmed with local tire shop they will install the sensors and can get the ST tires I want for the RV.
A few more weeks and I should have the sensors in hand. Then to figure out how to verify they work before handing them off to the tire barn.
Just a thought here but I don't believe you can pair the sensors without them being installed in the tires, all has to do with air pressure I believe. Once they're installed the paring sequence calls for opening your Uconnect screen, trailer settings, trailer ttpms, then following the sequence on the Uconnect screen for setup. You then move around the trailer letting about 5 pounds of air out of each tire, the horn beeps and you move to the next tire. Just did mine very easy to do!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they need a pressure drop to do the setup.

You could build a pressure vessel with a few pieces of PVC if you just want to test them. The tire shop should also be able to scan them that they are functional.

rpetersen

Reaction score
I'm giving up on the RAM TTPMS. I've taken several trips now, and the system is completely unreliable. It may be the distance from the tires to the rear of the truck (28') but it would be nice if Ram would publish some specifications on this so I would have known that was an issue going in. As it is, I spent $20/tire to have the Ram sensors installed ($80), and will have to spend the same to have them replaced (plus the cost of new valve stems). I'll go back to using the TST 507 that works with no issues for a further distance (monitor is on the front windshield) and without using a repeater. But, because the Ram sensors stick out so far, I want to replace them in order to screw on the TST 507 sensors (plus not sure if they would interfere with the signal).
While driving, most times I would get all 4 sensors initially, but then they would start dropping out (no pressure reading and red) until I would have only 1 or 2 - once dropped they never came back in. If I stopped for some length of time (fuel, lunch) and started back on the road, they would again pop in then disappear (sometimes left, or right, or front, or rear, or combinations). If the goal is to monitor tire pressure, having nothing is better than having this - because unless I'm on the monitoring screen it doesn't alert me that it has dropped out, so if it loses pressure in that tire I'll never know until I see pieces of the tire flying out behind me.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Sounds like a weak sensor to me since only that one is giving you an issue. The dealer should be replacing it under warrantee.

rpetersen

Reaction score
Sounds like a weak sensor to me since only that one is giving you an issue. The dealer should be replacing it under warrantee.
Then it is all sensors - while driving any or all of them may drop out. I have trouble believing that all of them are bad. The main problem is that Ram has published _no_ specifications regarding distance, so no idea if mine are too far away. I do know that sometimes the front tires (closest to the truck) drop while the rear work, but it is entirely random. That's why I think it is a distance issue. It also may be related to the trailer (all steel living quarter gooseneck horse trailer) where a flatbed may work at the same distance.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance you're running a repeater from the TST system still?

A few others have reported distance issues. I suspect that's why Ford put their receiver on the end of the trailer side Camera/TTPMS option connection where RAM split those options up.

rpetersen

Reaction score
Any chance you're running a repeater from the TST system still?

A few others have reported distance issues. I suspect that's why Ford put their receiver on the end of the trailer side Camera/TTPMS option connection where RAM split those options up.
That's the thing, I never had to use the repeater with the TST sensors, even though that receiver is all the way at the front of the cab (on the windshield). The Ram receiver is a good 8' closer to the wheels and still has problems.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the thing, I never had to use the repeater with the TST sensors, even though that receiver is all the way at the front of the cab (on the windshield). The Ram receiver is a good 8' closer to the wheels and still has problems.

Understood.

I use a repeater with my Tireminder primarily because the boat trailer tires are WAY back there. I was disappointed that the TTPMS didn't show temps and ended up staying with my Tireminder after completing the mods. My Tireminder receiver is on the rear window, the repeater midships just in front of the RV axles tapped into a side marker light for power. Tireminder also let's me "disconnect" the second trailer. However, it doesn't accommodate multiple trailer setups like the factory system does.

Bullpin22

Reaction score
The truck showed up today and has the brains for the TTPMS, just no physical sensors stashed anywhere in the truck.
So, my question it should the option have came with sensors?
After reading posts here I really thought that they would have.
Dealer is saying no.
I’m challenging that and need help backing it up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The truck showed up today and has the brains for the TTPMS, just no physical sensors stashed anywhere in the truck.
So, my question it should the option have came with sensors?
After reading posts here I really thought that they would have.
Dealer is saying no.
I’m challenging that and need help backing it up.
Your dealer is full of it.

1616645852106.png

Attachments

• Ram_CC HD_Trailer TPM Users Guide_MY19+.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread