Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS lost configuration

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
2022 3500 with trailer TPMS.

Paired the sensors to the truck when I first got it. Which is a pain, basically have to park the truck right next to the tires to get a signal. So I have my doubts it will ever work well.

Any way have never actually pulled the trailer since then. Hooked it up today to check lights and stuff for up coming trip and it says the train TPMS is not configured! So unhook pull truck up next to trailer and configure again. Get a reading from all 4 tires. Pull the truck in the garage and wash it, start the truck back up and it says again that the trailer TPMS is not configured, no settings at all.

So what gives, is it just that crappy of system? Why do they seem to half ass stuff. I hope I am doing something wrong.

rfullen280

Reaction score
That's weird. Are you selecting the trailer in the UConnect? Mine configures (it's a 2021, retrofitted to add TTPMS) only when connected to the trailer via the bumper plug.

I assume you're plugged into the truck when you configure?

Not my video. but similar experience, and never a problem.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Actually, reading some comments below Ram TTPMS vids on YouTubes... it appears that the 2022 models are forgetting the sensors. Reach out to @RamCares and see if you can get their attention.

Peterdenyer

Reaction score
Same problem. One month old 2022 2500 with 12 inch Uconnect screen. Configured trailer TPMS first time, had to park the truck with the rear bumper next to trailer tires. Configured successfully. Pulled trailer to an overnight stop on a cross country trip. Next morning got the trailer TPMS unconfigured message. Ok, let’s do it again. During the setup, you are supposed to see a representation of the trailer with the tires to configure. Hmm, just a grey box. Configuration process not working. OK, factory reset. This time I get the appropriate picture and each tire configures properly. Haul to night two stop. Head out in the morning, trailer TPMS unconfigured message. Hmm, guess I will try again.

perhaps related, on the screen where I am supposed to enable the trailer light check, all I get is a message. Unavailable, conditions not net. What is that supposed to mean.

minor but related trailer tow blind spot warning came on today when I wasn’t pulling the trailer. Interesting

stereo lost left channel audio durin our run yesterday. Another reset and reconfigure to fix this problem.

has 2019 RAM 1500 with same 12 inch screen. Never had problems like this.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Whoa, that doesn't sound good. I wonder if any of that is reportable to NHTSA, especially a failing TPMS system....https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
2022 3500 with trailer TPMS.

Paired the sensors to the truck when I first got it. Which is a pain, basically have to park the truck right next to the tires to get a signal. So I have my doubts it will ever work well.

Any way have never actually pulled the trailer since then. Hooked it up today to check lights and stuff for up coming trip and it says the train TPMS is not configured! So unhook pull truck up next to trailer and configure again. Get a reading from all 4 tires. Pull the truck in the garage and wash it, start the truck back up and it says again that the trailer TPMS is not configured, no settings at all.

So what gives, is it just that crappy of system? Why do they seem to half ass stuff. I hope I am doing something wrong.
Hello Mopar_Murder,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Ram Cares about your vehicle concern. If you don’t mind, can you please send me your Vin and a photocopy of your Uconnect system information in PM. We will further look into this matter for you.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Same problem. One month old 2022 2500 with 12 inch Uconnect screen. Configured trailer TPMS first time, had to park the truck with the rear bumper next to trailer tires. Configured successfully. Pulled trailer to an overnight stop on a cross country trip. Next morning got the trailer TPMS unconfigured message. Ok, let’s do it again. During the setup, you are supposed to see a representation of the trailer with the tires to configure. Hmm, just a grey box. Configuration process not working. OK, factory reset. This time I get the appropriate picture and each tire configures properly. Haul to night two stop. Head out in the morning, trailer TPMS unconfigured message. Hmm, guess I will try again.

perhaps related, on the screen where I am supposed to enable the trailer light check, all I get is a message. Unavailable, conditions not net. What is that supposed to mean.

minor but related trailer tow blind spot warning came on today when I wasn’t pulling the trailer. Interesting

stereo lost left channel audio durin our run yesterday. Another reset and reconfigure to fix this problem.

has 2019 RAM 1500 with same 12 inch screen. Never had problems like this.
Hello Peterdenyer,

Thank you for reaching out to Ram Cares about your vehicle concern. We do apologize for the experience that you have encounter with your Ram truck. We want to get this further checked out for you. Can you please provide us with your VIN and a photocopy of your Uconnect system information in a PM.

William
Ram Cares

TommyC

Reaction score
Just got back last week from towing our fifth wheel trailer with factory TTPMS for about 3,400 miles. Had the same problem. The work around is to select a different trailer. Back out. Select your configured trailer. Note whether under central cluster under "Trailer Tow" TTPMS screen if configured sensors show up (red since you haven't rolled 'em yet to wake 'em up). If not, select a different trailer, and then the configured trailer. That should do it. Once the trailer "wakes up" check that the target tire pressure is correct. If not set it again.

The TTPMS system and it's relationship with the center cluster are very buggy. I debated to idle or shut off the truck at every short stop because of this ridiculous work around.

The other thing we experienced a couple of times and usually when the central cluster seemed to remember the TTPMS configuration was that once we got rolling I received a message stating detected sensors did not match the truck. The above work around usually fixed that too. Did have to do the hold both buttons radio reset a couple of times when nothing seemed to work.

Note that we didn't have to re setup the sensors at any point during our trip.

Peterdenyer

Reaction score
Hello Peterdenyer,

Thank you for reaching out to Ram Cares about your vehicle concern. We do apologize for the experience that you have encounter with your Ram truck. We want to get this further checked out for you. Can you please provide us with your VIN and a photocopy of your Uconnect system information in a PM.

William
Ram Cares

Attachments

• 3B72E1A8-712C-4FA2-B5DE-01252B5F3297.jpeg
    3B72E1A8-712C-4FA2-B5DE-01252B5F3297.jpeg
    812 KB · Views: 14
  • 40D18521-69FB-4C26-8DFE-AA9AC8057863.jpeg
    40D18521-69FB-4C26-8DFE-AA9AC8057863.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 14
  • D8A56DE4-AE21-4448-96A3-2F4BFDDFF122.jpeg
    D8A56DE4-AE21-4448-96A3-2F4BFDDFF122.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 13

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have given up on the Trailer TPMS system. Even if you get them paired, the sensors keep losing contact with the receiver in the back bumper. Replaced the receiver module and no improvement. Ate the cost since you can’t return electrical parts. Going back to my reliable Pressure Pro system.

BigMack

Reaction score
My 2022 2500 Mega with 12" Uconnect was able to connect the T TPMS but only after several attempts and by not turning off the truck. It worked fine while I drove the rig for about 5 miles. Turned off the truck and went back 30 min later and saw that target pressure reset to 50 psi and showed the red lines for tire pressure. Drove the 5 mile route that I did previously but no tire pressures ever appeared. My next step is to delete the setup and start over. So far it seems I get different results every time I use it. Curious if RAM CARES found the problem.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I guess you stumpped RAM CARES as I have seen no response.
Well, for them to notice the message you need to use an @ before the name and then select it when it pops up... just putting it in ALL CAPS really does nothing.
Or you can just message them directly from the conversation icon (looks like an envelope) in the upper right corner.

Peterdenyer

Reaction score
My 2022 2500 Mega with 12" Uconnect was able to connect the T TPMS but only after several attempts and by not turning off the truck. It worked fine while I drove the rig for about 5 miles. Turned off the truck and went back 30 min later and saw that target pressure reset to 50 psi and showed the red lines for tire pressure. Drove the 5 mile route that I did previously but no tire pressures ever appeared. My next step is to delete the setup and start over. So far it seems I get different results every time I use it. Curious if RAM CARES found the problem.
Same problem here. Done all that stuff too! Took truck to local dealer twice. No help. Second time they opened a case with RAM engineering. Crickets! I did notice the feature is somewhat erratic. After towing my trailer for 10 miles or so, the system magically starts to work. Not always. Very buggy feature..

With due apology, RAM Cares was unable to do anything useful. The agent I spoke to intimated “ We’ve not heard about this problem”. Hmm, they read the forums don’t they?

The dealer says the feature doesn’t seem to work but there is no diagnostic to definitively say if this feature is broken and can’t / won’t authorize the dealer to do anything about the problem. Very buggy software.

I await better resolution to this problem from RAM, but I’m not holding my breath.

BigMack

Reaction score
Well, for them to notice the message you need to use an @ before the name and then select it when it pops up... just putting it in ALL CAPS really does nothing.
Or you can just message them directly from the conversation icon (looks like an envelope) in the upper right corner.
Thanks for tip, first time I've been on this site.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
I have never gotten and help from dealer or care, I don't thinik they actually "care"

But I found if you switch to a different saved trailer profile and then back to the one that has the TPMS it has worked every time for me.

BigMack

Reaction score
Same problem here. Done all that stuff too! Took truck to local dealer twice. No help. Second time they opened a case with RAM engineering. Crickets! I did notice the feature is somewhat erratic. After towing my trailer for 10 miles or so, the system magically starts to work. Not always. Very buggy feature..

With due apology, RAM Cares was unable to do anything useful. The agent I spoke to intimated “ We’ve not heard about this problem”. Hmm, they read the forums don’t they?

The dealer says the feature doesn’t seem to work but there is no diagnostic to definitively say if this feature is broken and can’t / won’t authorize the dealer to do anything about the problem. Very buggy software.

I await better resolution to this problem from RAM, but I’m not holding my breath.
After some more thought on this problem , maybe if I start the process at 5 psi above the the target it might work. So I filled the the tires to 80 psi , turned on the vehicle to to run (did not start the truck) went to UConnect and deleted the trailer tire settings. Set the target pressure to 75 psi and began to pair the sensors. I counted to 10 while releasing the air, then waited and worked perfectly for all four tires. Returned to the dash to find all sensors registering from 72 to 75 lbs pressed finish and drove around the block. Worked great ! Turn off the truck and came back after 30 min. , now I see white bars instead of red bars where the numbers should be. Started driving and immediately the tire pressures started coming in. Within 300 ft all tires were registering. Time will tell if this works, but so far it looks good.

BigMack

Reaction score
I have never gotten and help from dealer or care, I don't thinik they actually "care"

But I found if you switch to a different saved trailer profile and then back to the one that has the TPMS it has worked every time for me.
Thanks for tip, I did try this it at least worked to give me a different result, so far deleting and starting from scratch always works but again results are not always the same. For example , sometimes I will see actual pressures and other times red lines after pairing.

CdnHO

Reaction score

My dealer didn't even know the option existed. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the rest of their operation.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Thanks for tip, I did try this it at least worked to give me a different result, so far deleting and starting from scratch always works but again results are not always the same. For example , sometimes I will see actual pressures and other times red lines after pairing.
The red lines mean that the system is not receiving data for those wheel positions. The sensors go to sleep and quit transmitting several minutes after stopping so all you will see are red lines. In my case it was a range issue and sensors would not report a pressure and be replaced with red lines. This was randomly but usually on the rear trailer axle. My extension cable fixed that issue but it is clear Chrysler really didn't do much testing before putting it out as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread