Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer cameras for boat trailer?

John Slattery

Reaction score
I am ordering a new 2022 Ram 2500 Bighorn and need help understanding the trailer camera options considering I am towing boat trailers that get backed into salt water at boat ramps.

I am selecting the "Tech Package" for $2,995 that includes the surround-view camera system, cargo-view camera and trailer reverse guidance. This option states "A loose-shipped rearview camera is also available for upfit installation."

There is an option to select a "Trailer Surround-View Camera System" for $995 but Ram's website gives no details about this option. Is this the loose-shipped rearview camera in the "Tech Package" or something else?

I am also selecting "Safety Group B" for $2,620 that includes a digital rearview mirror. Does a rear trailer camera display on the digital mirror?

If I mounted a camera on my boat trailer it would have to be pretty close to the ground and have to withstand complete submersion in salt water. Are Ram's trailer cameras designed work under these conditions? If so, it would be helpful to see mounting and wiring instructions.

Additionally, boat trailers do not have electric brakes, they have hydraulic surge brakes. From what I can tell it seems some trailering features are activated by plugging the electric brakes into the truck. What trailering features will and will not work while trailering with non-electric brakes?

Last edited:

TonyT

Reaction score
I am ordering a new 2022 Ram 2500 Bighorn and need help understanding the trailer camera options considering I am towing boat trailers that get backed into salt water at boat ramps.

I am selecting the "Tech Package" for $2,995 that includes the surround-view camera system, cargo-view camera and trailer reverse guidance. This option states "A loose-shipped rearview camera is also available for upfit installation."

There is an option to select a "Trailer Surround-View Camera System" for $995 but Ram's website gives no details about this option. Is this the loose-shipped rearview camera in the "Tech Package" or something else?

I am also selecting "Safety Group B" for $2,620 that includes a digital rearview mirror. Does a rear trailer camera display on the digital mirror?

If I mounted a camera on my boat trailer it would have to be pretty close to the ground and have to withstand complete submersion in salt water. Are Ram's trailer cameras designed work under these conditions? If so, it would be helpful to see mounting and wiring instructions.

Additionally, boat trailers do not have electric brakes, they have hydraulic surge brakes. From what I can tell it seems some trailering features are activated by plugging the electric brakes into the truck. What trailering features will and will not work while trailering with non-electric brakes?
You could mount it up high to where it's useful, but where you're able to easily unplug and detach when you're headed into the water.

There's pictures of the trailer group in the trailer camera thread. Definitely not submergible. MOPAR's examples show them up high on the back of boxed trailers, and inside horse trailers. And cameras are super cheap, I've compared my $150 camera to a $15 amazon camera and I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

fastfreddy

Reaction score
If your trailer has guide posts, you could mount the camera on one of those. It wouldn't be centered, but should keep it out of the water.

John Slattery

Reaction score
I was trying to avoid it, but I could suction cup a camera onto the outboard motor, I don't have guide posts on the trailer. This is not ideal because I will have a loose wire draped across the boat that I have to remove each time. As for the Trailer Surround-View Camera System from reading other threads it seems like this system requires multiple cameras on the trailer. Am I reading this correctly, multiple cameras??? If that's the case, trailer surround view cameras for a boat will be too much of a pain with multiple cameras loosely wired and suction cupped. Can someone please clarify?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I dont understand the need for a camera on a boat trailer but even then the camera is IP67 dust and water proof from what my understanding is

As far as the surge brakes go do yourself a favor and rip em off and bolt on some electric brake backing plate assemblys best thing i ever did for all my boat trailers i hate surge brakes

Users who are viewing this thread