Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera wiring options (thru the trailer)

davidh1329

Reaction score
I just ordered a 3500 with the Tow-Mode Camera option...so I have months to figure this out. I have started to pre-ponder how I will run the camera wire through our 5th wheel. We currently have a wireless Haloview camera on the back of the trailer. It is nice but has a bit of a lag. I am looking forward to the hard-wired version showing up in the mirror.

For the folks who have installed the hard-wired camera on the back of their trailers, where did you run the wires? I have a couple of thoughts that will get me "most of the way", but they all leave questions at the end. Under the trailer, up the inside corner of the back wall, across thru the cabinets and out the back wall seems best today.... There are also the a/c ducts in the ceiling that run almost the whole distance of the roof... If you've installed the camera, how did you do it?

Thanks!
David

BAT3500

Reaction score
Interested in this also. Same situation. My fifth wheel was supposedly prewired for rear camera but not sure where wires terminate (if present) and best way to run to the truck.

davidh1329

Reaction score
Interested in this also. Same situation. My fifth wheel was supposedly prewired for rear camera but not sure where wires terminate (if present) and best way to run to the truck.
The prewire is just a short power wire that taps into the marker lights to support a wireless camera.

gprguy

Reaction score
If you can get to the roof, just running it along the top of the roof may be a good solution. It's done with solar cables all the time, I've seen the cables held down with strips of eternabond tape or even just a glop of dicor sealant every so often.

As far as getting to the roof - if your trailer has solar prep that might be an option. Another popular way is out the fridge vent if it's a roof vent and not a sidewall vent.

gator6

Reaction score
I’m looking at it now, if you go through the roof, you have to drop through at the nose of a 5er (in my case, the master bedroom). If I go under, I can place the camera at the bottom of the trailer (easiest method available) but everyone knows height is your advantage when it comes to seeing. The instructions say placing a their camera at a height above 5’9” will severely limit the ability to see anything close.

I’m putting this on a 44’ toy hauler, so I’m thinking the best method will be to go high and come down in the gap between the sliding doors and ramp along the left side, then underneath the trailer and install a jumper somewhere along the way.

ee61559b580ad76d06fb45ad7ead7106.jpg

efc8273b5adb9056928cc796cc610cee.jpg

6d259282dedde9aede41d2a459ac1ca3.jpg

be25ebff331a835f9c2492aec1e41e14.jpg

Finding a way from the gap to underneath is what I’m looking at now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh1329

Reaction score
The not higher than 5'-9" is interesting. The pre-wire and my current Haloview is at the top of my 5th wheel, probably 10' off the ground. I am thinking I will go thru the rear wall, across some cabinets and down the corner to the underneath. I can't think of a good way to get from the front roof back down thru the bedroom. Good luck with your install!

gator6

Reaction score
The not higher than 5'-9" is interesting. The pre-wire and my current Haloview is at the top of my 5th wheel, probably 10' off the ground. I am thinking I will go thru the rear wall, across some cabinets and down the corner to the underneath. I can't think of a good way to get from the front roof back down thru the bedroom. Good luck with your install!

I thought that too since they put those prewire locations where they do. I did lay the cable out on the roof, not really the best location, and mounted the camera where the 5er had the location prewired. Of course all those wires are good for is power for a Bluetooth setup. I hooked up the truck to the camera, placed another vehicle at a pretty close distance from the end of my dropped ramp/back deck (a distance a reasonable ******* would approach at), digitally adjusted the camera to bottom setting on the mirror, and physically adjusted the camera where I could see the vehicle. If I want to see further back, I can adjust it from the “mirror” while I’m driving. Pretty happy with the in-cab adjustments you can do…up, down, left, right, even an adjustment to twist left or right for those of us who don’t use levels.

So, I’m nixing going over the top, just going to route along the back edge of the trailer as neatly as possible, then send it up the left side towards the bumper. I’d like to do the in bed mod for the camera, but if I’m going under it does make sense to keep it on the bumper.

The surround camera is another beast, I’m going to have my buddy manufacturer at least one mount for the nose camera since they all have to be at the same height. It might look a bit funny, but it will get the job done. I ordered a 20’ extension for the rearview camera, and if it works it will open up better options for box placement which has to be accounted for when thinking of the connection to the truck.

davidh1329

Reaction score
Sounds like you are winning! Camper mods always take some imagination... I just ordered my truck and am months away from actually installing any cameras. I may reach out when the time comes to see, "how it worked out?".

johnptc

Reaction score
MY TOW MODE CAMERA OEM SOCKET IS MOUNTED ON THE REAR BUMPER JUST TO THE LEFT OF THE LICENSE PLATE.
HOWEVER MOPAR DOES NOT AS FAR AS I KNOW HAVE A TOW MODE CAMERA FOR SALE :( ( TOW MODE= SEEN IN DIGITAL REVIEW MIRROR)

gator6

Reaction score
MY TOW MODE CAMERA OEM SOCKET IS MOUNTED ON THE REAR BUMPER JUST TO THE LEFT OF THE LICENSE PLATE.
HOWEVER MOPAR DOES NOT AS FAR AS I KNOW HAVE A TOW MODE CAMERA FOR SALE :( ( TOW MODE= SEEN IN DIGITAL REVIEW MIRROR)

Yes they do! I have one installed on my truck, and I’m working on placing the camera on my trailer this week.

Info for parts is available in this thread:

johnptc

Reaction score
GREAT.... i will check it our.
did you buy the camera or did it come with your truck ??

thanks

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
I received the camera from Mopar and now am looking at mounting on trailer. I see the mod to move plug from bumper, should be easy enough. I have the extra length cables already from Amazon. My issue is the camper, I have a Momentum 376 which is the small garage. I think im going to have to go over the top and down somehow? Does anyone have any good pics of installing the camera on a toy hauler? I tested the camera last night and it works great, the image is clear and will unclutter the dash.

gator6

Reaction score
I received the camera from Mopar and now am looking at mounting on trailer. I see the mod to move plug from bumper, should be easy enough. I have the extra length cables already from Amazon. My issue is the camper, I have a Momentum 376 which is the small garage. I think im going to have to go over the top and down somehow? Does anyone have any good pics of installing the camera on a toy hauler? I tested the camera last night and it works great, the image is clear and will unclutter the dash.

I had to order another extension. The 20’ I had received only worked intermittently and I couldn’t figure out why. I sent that one back and ordered a 6.5’ one that came in last night, plan on putting it on today.

I had thought about running it up top, but currently looking at going from a high center mount down the side of the rear ramp and up the underbelly on the left side. Another option is to follow the 360° camera hole I have on top, but I don’t have the time to move the mount from the bumper to the bed.

22limited

Reaction score
Some pictures of how I did mine.
I drilled two holes behind the plastic trim cover that covers the screws one near an access hole and the other that comes out under the camper then zip tied it to the front and out the front with the plug. 728C450F-2C3A-4318-8487-C267490E1D61.jpeg4902D462-DE0E-4140-8653-F8202F628C2F.jpeg70778E02-AE17-49DC-8C73-43F2DF4CCCF0.jpeg6C8B0A05-001D-400C-A55F-8221741D849A.jpegCE35262A-7B4D-4780-84B5-00367BF1E68A.pngBEC279C6-8BB5-4101-A0DD-21793114618E.jpeg

gator6

Reaction score
Some pictures of how I did mine.
I drilled two holes behind the plastic trim cover that covers the screws one near an access hole and the other that comes out under the camper then zip tied it to the front and out the front with the plug. View attachment 36887View attachment 36888View attachment 36889View attachment 36890View attachment 36891View attachment 36892

I like it!

You got more patience then I do, I thought about going into the ramp seal too, but just figured I’d go a bit less intense for the time I have. Looking at yours I may reassess later and spot weld to fill in the holes.

Progress report: the 6.5’ extension works! Mounting the camera and routing cable around the rear ramp and up the left side with what looks to be plenty of excess for maneuvering through turns.

Once this is done, we’ll move on to finishing the 360° setup!

e0bfc62b3015fa8e6255650e9358c486.jpg

154132fb0c17c010856acb32ceefd4cd.jpg

Last edited:

gator6

Reaction score
Y’all, this sun has been brutal this spring and I just had as much as I could take with installing these cameras.

I can’t remember how long the harness or its extension is, but I ended up using both and placing the control box in the forward storage of the 5er. I had thought about placing it just behind the propane tanks in the other side of the bulkhead to protect the connections, but the chance of hitting some boxes while mounting kept me from it. There’s still a bit of clean-up that I intend to perform, but it’s pretty much roughed-in.

I’ll have to get a pic to insert here

I sent the four camera wires through the floor and the bathroom cabinet to the roof with a 1.5” hole saw and a lot of spray foam and dicor.

88e2a82760a12004fe8c8017cb2d34c0.jpg

daa3503bdbbd5c21b748a1f1f31518b8.jpg

87da1004056fdcc8d107faa34d66f11d.jpg

I wrapped each cable in sheathing, but appears I pulled a little too much down on the left and forward camera, and ended up just using what I had…it was hot and I was just ready to be done. Once I had everything in place…and already commenced putting in the wire forward and down the right side…my buddy shows up from his errands and says, “I’ve got a stash of PVC that would make that super easy…you could just take everything up…”. So, you’ll see that…again it was hot…halfway through I switched gears and used some PVC for a firmer mount.

cf0a40d36f94de18be2ab91a4627d79b.jpg

e631840ae0b64dcdce4b8736c7de1263.jpg

3628cb2812974cf5f06a0004371932fd.jpg

3826bd3203da108c549a6448df720f6c.jpg

b9b4fa0c2e84e54754d43f0c672afb1e.jpg

198bbfe997616ca0bd75d173ad33e553.jpg

Moral of this story…park your rig in some shade or wait for a cloudy day. A cooler day and I would’ve been able to knock this out in a single one with probably a cleaner look. If you have a friend that has some ingenuity, get him to hand out an opinion before you start work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Please stop posting in ALL CAPS.

It's considered shouting and poor forum etiquette.

Users who are viewing this thread