Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer brake disconnected

Rob122

Reaction score
I randomly get the brake disconnected message when towing my tt. Cable is good, pins are clean and dielectric greased. Its typically at highway speeds after driving for awhile. Any suggestions? Previous truck didn't have any way to tell me if they were working or not. Thanks guys.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
My boat trailer had a taillight out basically the second time I took her out and I thought the bad connection was on the truck side. I refused to think there was anything wrong with the brand new trailer and its connections.

Even after testing with my meter, manually putting 12v to each pin for testing, bending the mating tabs in the connectors, the wife complaining about helping me, I said screw it and cut the existing connector off the trailer and putting a new one on. Hasn't failed since

Electrical gremlins are no fun, especially wiring that looks like it should be so robust it "couldn't possibly be the problem." You can never really tell what's happening under the sheath

It might take some extra ppl to help, but try giving the connection a good wiggle while everything is running and see if it happens again. The new connector I installed on the trailer side had a much tighter fit than the original one did

RV_Goose

Reaction score
What truck? My old 2013 Ram 2500 with aftermarket 5th wheel connector in the bed was great,no issues. My 2020 RAM 3500 with the 5th wheel prep has a connector that is finicky. I am looking to replace it.

Joe mama

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I had my ECOdiesel. The dealer couldn't find the problem and said it must be the trailer. Had the trailer checked out and it was fine. I fixed it my self by slightly bending the pins on the vehicle side of connector. Sometimes it would have a connection and other times it wouldn't. Never had a problem after the pin adjustment.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I randomly get the brake disconnected message when towing my tt. Cable is good, pins are clean and dielectric greased. Its typically at highway speeds after driving for awhile. Any suggestions? Previous truck didn't have any way to tell me if they were working or not. Thanks guys.
Hi @Rob122, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your Ram dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would be happy to assist in resolving this for you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

CdnHO

Reaction score
According to Ram, only SAE approved trailer connectors are compatible with the Ram receptacles. They have single large blade in each hole at opposed to two in the old style. This one is made by Hopkins. I have already bought this one to put on the trailer when the truck is delivered as the trailer has the old style. If I recall correctly, the trailer receptacle is made by Hopkins as well.

38508.1.jpg

Last edited:

Rob122

Reaction score
Thanks! I've got the old style. I appreciate the input from everyone. I'll get it swapped out.

JHeat2500

Reaction score
I had the same problem and traced it back to my trailer wiring and not the plug. Make sure you have a good trailer brake ground directly to the frame. If not, that may be your issue. These trucks are extremely sensitive to voltage issues and don't like weak grounds. I never had the issue with my previous truck and prodigy brake controller.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
Thanks! I've got the old style. I appreciate the input from everyone. I'll get it swapped out.
Here is Ram's Recommended Trailer Connector document. The new style allows for more contact with each connector while the old trailer end will be spotty. YMMV

Attachments

• Ram Traile Connector Compatibility.pdf
    173.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

dragrcr

Reaction score
You made me Sign up for this Forum........... I had a 2018 Ram 3500 and I bought a top of the line InTech aluminum Trailer. It had DEXTER axles under it. I started getting check trailer wiring messaged occasionally. Then as time went on it got worse. On one trip I got about 150 warnings in a 300 mile stretch and it progresses to actually telling me the trailer was disconnected. When I got that warning I had NO Trailer Brakes. I started calling ahead and one Dodge Dealer in Tuscon AZ set me up an appointment at a Dealer in Phoenix AZ. The Dealer in Tuscon knew I was on the road and he could not trouble shoot for me so he advocated for me and that was awesome. The Dealer in Phoenix was also amazing. The Tech came out to the Truck and I was able to watch him on a Laptop diagnose my Truck. It had a Trailer brake wire circut shorted to ground code. I was lucky because it actually was in the Failure mode when I arrived. When does that EVER happen? Disconnected trailer and then the code reset and went to the History file. Connect trailer and the code came back. So, NOTHING wrong with the Truck. ALSO this cannot be disabled by the TECH. So you will get warning after warning about your trailer brakes as you drive and only way to stop it is to disconnect = No Brakes/Lights. So I had to do my homework and found out the resistance of all the brake magnets etc since it would not stay in the shorted out mode. It basically stopped doing it by the time I got home to Los Angeles. 4 Magnets Times XX resistance in Paralel should equal XX. I was off by about one magnets worth. So I had to cut my brand new Trailer brake wiring system apart with wire cutters. I thought about it and made my first cut at the second splice that isolated the LF, LR and the RIGHT Side from each other. Right Side measured 1/2 a magnet (2 in paralel) and the LF measured one Magnet and the LR measured NOTHING. It was an open circut. BAM!

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND: THANKS DEXTER.

Attachments

• 1025191712.jpg
    1025191712.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 1025191714_HDR.jpg
    1025191714_HDR.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 165

Calihauler

Reaction score
You made me Sign up for this Forum........... I had a 2018 Ram 3500 and I bought a top of the line InTech aluminum Trailer. It had DEXTER axles under it. I started getting check trailer wiring messaged occasionally. Then as time went on it got worse. On one trip I got about 150 warnings in a 300 mile stretch and it progresses to actually telling me the trailer was disconnected. When I got that warning I had NO Trailer Brakes. I started calling ahead and one Dodge Dealer in Tuscon AZ set me up an appointment at a Dealer in Phoenix AZ. The Dealer in Tuscon knew I was on the road and he could not trouble shoot for me so he advocated for me and that was awesome. The Dealer in Phoenix was also amazing. The Tech came out to the Truck and I was able to watch him on a Laptop diagnose my Truck. It had a Trailer brake wire circut shorted to ground code. I was lucky because it actually was in the Failure mode when I arrived. When does that EVER happen? Disconnected trailer and then the code reset and went to the History file. Connect trailer and the code came back. So, NOTHING wrong with the Truck. ALSO this cannot be disabled by the TECH. So you will get warning after warning about your trailer brakes as you drive and only way to stop it is to disconnect = No Brakes/Lights. So I had to do my homework and found out the resistance of all the brake magnets etc since it would not stay in the shorted out mode. It basically stopped doing it by the time I got home to Los Angeles. 4 Magnets Times XX resistance in Paralel should equal XX. I was off by about one magnets worth. So I had to cut my brand new Trailer brake wiring system apart with wire cutters. I thought about it and made my first cut at the second splice that isolated the LF, LR and the RIGHT Side from each other. Right Side measured 1/2 a magnet (2 in paralel) and the LF measured one Magnet and the LR measured NOTHING. It was an open circut. BAM!

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND: THANKS DEXTER.
I have a 2020 2500 and Dexter axles on my old airstream and hitched up for the first time and got the warning trailer brakes not connected. I'm not comfortable climbing under the trailer and cutting wires and finding magnets (I have drum brakes). What do you think the best course of action is? Can't trailer without brakes so I'm kinda stuck.. :(

JHeat2500

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 and Dexter axles on my old airstream and hitched up for the first time and got the warning trailer brakes not connected. I'm not comfortable climbing under the trailer and cutting wires and finding magnets (I have drum brakes). What do you think the best course of action is? Can't trailer without brakes so I'm kinda stuck.. :(
Check the trailer brake ground. Make sure it's grounded to the chassis and NOT through the plug.

Tom2531

Reaction score
Hi, I had a similar issue so thanks for this post. I also did a bunch more testing on the exact error messages on this post over here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/brake-controller-troubleshooting-technical-info.6004/

My issue was an intermittent short on the rear axle of a 3 year old trailer. I didn't find the exact location, but narrowed it down enough to know what to do. I will be replacing the trailer brake wiring across the axles and factory crimps. The truck and front half of the trailer wiring was fine.

Will_T

Reaction score
I had similar issues the first time I towed our TT. I temporarily fixed it by wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the trailer connector so I knew that was where the problem was. I permanently, (I hope), fixed it by replacing both the truck and TT connectors with the EZ Connector. Not inexpensive, but so far I love the way it works. Great customer service and question answering from the company also.

WAG2021RAMS

Reaction score
Also have brake problems sometime they work, others times you hope you have enough truck to stop you. Then when they work it locks up all 4 Wheel on trailer. Have had to replace 1 set of tire as the had flat spot on tire and would bounce trailer load as you drove. This is a 2021 3500 with everything on it, made to pull, and will just, sometime will not stop. Have tried verything, changed everything change plug, added grounds to trailer cleaned wire connection hocked to other gooseneck trailers still there. Will have brakes with bumper hitch trailer? Dealer change brake controller did not help, DEALER???? Any one have ideas. If I had not paid so much for this truck I would send it back or sale just could not get my $ back. Like truck other than brake problems

JHeat2500

Reaction score
Can you provide details about the trailer and what brakes it has?

WAG2021RAMS

Reaction score
Can you provide details about the trailer and what brakes it has?

Electric brakes on a 2019 Mortiz trailer 20000gvw trailer duel tandem. Pulled this trailer behind my Ford and have no problems and other people have also pull trailer and love it. Some one said that if it has Dexter axles/brakes that they sometimes could problems

JHeat2500

Reaction score
After roughly 9-10 months with no issues once I added a dedicated ground to the trailer, I started having the "trailer brakes disconnected" alert half way through my new year's trip. After a bit of investigating I found chafed wire jackets where the brake wires were inside the axle tube. The manufacturer left roughly 2 feet of slack inside the axle tube, which led to significant rubbing over the course of time. This was causing the wire to intermittently short to the axle tube which caused a loss of brake connectivity on the truck side. Just one more item to check off the list when troubleshooting brake issues.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
According to Ram, only SAE approved trailer connectors are compatible with the Ram receptacles. They have single large blade in each hole at opposed to two in the old style. This one is made by Hopkins. I have already bought this one to put on the trailer when the truck is delivered as the trailer has the old style. If I recall correctly, the trailer receptacle is made by Hopkins as well.

View attachment 12558

Interesting. Ill have to try this.

Started getting the "trailer brake disconnected" message this weekend on a short trip to the desert.

Users who are viewing this thread