Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tradesman headlight upgrade

Possum

Reaction score
It’s nice that those avoid blinding other drivers, but you’re definitely getting a far worse light pattern for yourself.

Halogen reflector housings are computer designed for a filament in a halogen bulb that is long (front to back in the direction of vehicle travel) and emits light on all sides relatively evenly. Those LEDs are not emitting anything up or down, so you’re not getting light in a lot of the directions you should be. The light to the sides also isn’t the same shape as that from a halogen bulb, so you’re probably ending up with hot and cold spots that way too. The only way to safely change the type of light your vehicle comes with is to replace the housing and the bulb together with a set that are designed for each other. No drop in replacement (LED, HID, etc) will ever give you proper light patterns, and 99% of the time will actually reduce your visibility, even (and especially) if it looks brighter from in the cab.

You speak with such authority. But have you even used them before?

Because I can assure you that I can see a lot better with them. Much better. And it has a nice pattern.

But you do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
You speak with such authority. But have you even used them before?

Because I can assure you that I can see a lot better with them. Much better. And it has a nice pattern.

But you do you.

I speak with such authority as I have studied this issue in depth, over and over and over again.

Have I used those specific bulbs? No, I haven’t. But that doesn’t change how physics works.

if I change my glasses out to a similar strength prescription that was made for a different person’s eye (different inter-ocular distance, different shaped eye, different level of astigmatism, etc) it’m certainly not going to see as well.

The same concept applies for a light bulb.

Saying something is better just because you want it to be doesn’t make it so. Your eyes are playing tricks on you because more light right in front of your face makes your brain tell you that you can see better, but it’s completely the opposite.

You don’t have to take my word for it, I’m just a guy who has tested and evaluated a lot of lighting over the years. Get it straight from one of the preeminent experts in automotive lighting:

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
No drop in replacement (LED, HID, etc) will ever give you proper light patterns, and 99% of the time will actually reduce your visibility, even (and especially) if it looks brighter from in the cab.
HID retrofits were all the rage about 10 yrs ago when the 4th gen 1500s were introduced. I've seen them in the 3rd gens too. It was always easy to spot these folks out on the road at night. Blinding oncoming drivers, blinding drivers they were overtaking. The factory HIDs were bad enough. The retrofit stuff was downright dangerous.

AndyS

Reaction score
How hard is it to upgrade our HL's to the factory LED HL's?

Slightly

Reaction score
How hard is it to upgrade our HL's to the factory LED HL's?
Found a guy this last week that had build adapter harnesses for halogen to either styles of LED, apparently they have different harnesses. Couldn’t find the link again however. But gives me hope I can correct the one one regret I have eventually. Have to wait and find some blacked out LED’s.

it did look like quite the task to swap, the whole grill has to come out.

flan

Reaction score
Found a guy this last week that had build adapter harnesses for halogen to either styles of LED, apparently they have different harnesses. Couldn’t find the link again however. But gives me hope I can correct the one one regret I have eventually. Have to wait and find some blacked out LED’s.

it did look like quite the task to swap, the whole grill has to come out.
Probably retroshop.us?

npurdy1112

Reaction score
HID retrofits were all the rage about 10 yrs ago when the 4th gen 1500s were introduced. I've seen them in the 3rd gens too. It was always easy to spot these folks out on the road at night. Blinding oncoming drivers, blinding drivers they were overtaking. The factory HIDs were bad enough. The retrofit stuff was downright dangerous.

I dislike having to interact with those vehicles while driving. Anymore I don't quick flash my highs because then they think I am the one being a jerk and turn their brights/light bar/whatever on till they are past you. Add to that list the people who drive around with headlights, 2-4 fog lights, and a light bar on thinking their vision is the only priority. End rant

Slightly

Reaction score
Yup, that’s them. Look on their Instagram, it seems to be the only mention of it.

jared43758

Reaction score
FYI. I haven’t replaced my headlights but I decided they were pointed too low and would try adjusting. There great now. I moved them up 1 inch. Turn the screw counter clockwise to raise. Very easy to adjust

Users who are viewing this thread