Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traded in for a blue oval and here are my findings...

jlschwefel

Reaction score
Just recently ordered a 2022 Ram to replace my 2013 F250. I had full intentions of ordering 2022 F250 but was waiting on the new interior before ordering. I was disappointed with the changes they made to the interior and they really did not improve it much based on what I saw looking at Platinum trim trucks and comparing my truck to 2019 used trucks and new 2022 I was able to see. The Ford interior is still behind the RAM interiors (I really have not liked GM interiors for a long time now). it really felt like they just made room for a bigger screen and felt that was good enough. I was able to get similar pricing on either RAM or Ford locally (around 1-2% below invoice with no add-ons) so pricewise they were comparable.

Reasons I ended up with the Ram:
Much better overall ride (I have a mechanic that I use for some things I can't get to and he claims my Super Duty is the best riding one he has worked on and he does a lot of Diesel/HD truck work and the coiled rams I have driven were still better on a new truck without any settling in the suspension)
Much better interior and technology overall
I feel the Cummins/6 speed is more reliable (I really wanted to get a 10 Speed but just not have heard great things form a annoyance with excessive shifting or even just more failures than the old 6 speed) especially with being able to stay away from CP4 pump

I will miss the seat comfort in the F250 and power extension on the tow mirrors though. I am hopeful that the Ram seats will soften up over time as the trucks I test drove had pretty firm cushioning. All in all thought I am excited to get the new truck in eventually and start to put some miles on it.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
yup, I've heard that so curious if this human had the same opinion.
Can confirm that the exhaust brake does not work as well. However, they did release a TSB for the transmission which significantly changed its performance for the better(sort of). My issue with it is that when using the exhaust brake, the trucks downshifting behavior becomes much more aggressive. The ram produces a much smoother reduction in speed without the clunky downshifts.
Something else to consider, your 2019 Cummins would've been getting a nice new CP-ISB21 High pressure pump. Your New F350 still has the CP4 and will have the CP4 until you get a new truck.

CP's aside, how do you feel about the powerstroke vs the cummins? I know it's not entirely apples to apples with your 2500 being an SO vs the Powerstroke having an extra 200ft/lbs, but i'm still curious.

Actually prefer the cummins. The power output felt more consistent throughout the range of RPMs. The Ford is faster off the line without a doubt and there is less turbo lag , however I still find myself preferring how the ram accelerated at times. For reference I have 3.55s.
The Ford 350s are very nice trucks. The two things that surprised me were your comments about the mirrors and the ride quality. I think I would love the Ford mirrors over Ram. Heck, I liked my old 2007 mirrors over what Ram has now. As far as the ride, maybe it is the difference in tires? I don't remember my buddy's Ford rides better than a Ram.

Tires maybe... next ram I get the stock rubber will be off before it leaves the lot.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
There are multiple dealers scattered around the country that are currently pricing ordered trucks at 4 - 5 % below invoice. I've received quotes from dealers in Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana and as of yesterday - Pennsylvania in this range. With the exception of the PA dealer, the others are very well represented in the forums. All require some sort of deposit, and they have ranged from $250 to $1,000.

Any dealerships you can recommend?

franko

Reaction score
Any dealerships you can recommend?
Since I am on the east coast, I was only focused on dealers this side of the country. If you are on the west coast, someone else may be able to provide those details.

Louisiana - Mark Dodge
Iowa - Granger
Kentucky - Dan Cummins

All three have posts in the forum with specific contact info.

I was going to order from Mark Dodge this week, but Chapman Ram in Horsham PA responded to me on Monday morning that they are currently quoting ordered trucks at 5% below invoice (+ tax, tags and $394 doc fee). I'm meeting with them in person tomorrow to see if there are any catches. If not, I'll be ordering from them as they are 10 minutes away and that's right in line with the quote from Mark Dodge.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Since I am on the east coast, I was only focused on dealers this side of the country. If you are on the west coast, someone else may be able to provide those details.

Louisiana - Mark Dodge
Iowa - Granger
Kentucky - Dan Cummins

All three have posts in the forum with specific contact info.

I was going to order from Mark Dodge this week, but Chapman Ram in Horsham PA responded to me on Monday morning that they are currently quoting ordered trucks at 5% below invoice (+ tax, tags and $394 doc fee). I'm meeting with them in person tomorrow to see if there are any catches. If not, I'll be ordering from them as they are 10 minutes away and that's right in line with the quote from Mark Dodge.
Let me know, im on the east coast as well, otherwise I'm going to use dan.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts from someone who owned both. Thank you for sharing.

At the end of the day, the BIG reasons people go Ram over Super Duty is 1. THE INTERIOR!!! 2. The Cummins.

I agree with most everything OP stated, including the positives of the Ford over the Ram. I also think the Ford looks better.

However.. build quality--nope. My neighbors 2019 F250 feels like cheap trash when opening and closing the doors compared to my 2021 Laramie DRW.

Motochris

Reaction score
I almost bought my buddy's 2020 F350 SD Longbed SRW....but the test drive pretty much drove me away. Worst riding truck I've ever been in.
My new 3500 rides WAY better.
Sure liked that Ford horsepower though...that truck MOVED.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts from someone who owned both. Thank you for sharing.

At the end of the day, the BIG reasons people go Ram over Super Duty is 1. THE INTERIOR!!! 2. The Cummins.

I agree with most everything OP stated, including the positives of the Ford over the Ram. I also think the Ford looks better.

However.. build quality--nope. My neighbors 2019 F250 feels like cheap trash when opening and closing the doors compared to my 2021 Laramie DRW.

a541ad69b27cbd07d577bd5db8f01e15bbf953e12eb81cc6fddf69b9463b4584_1.jpg

franko

Reaction score
Let me know, im on the east coast as well, otherwise I'm going to use dan.
Just got back from Chapman Ram in Horsham, PA. Order finalized and placed with them this morning. Got my POC and VON, should have my VIN on Monday. Here's the scoop:

5% under invoice + tax, tags and $394 doc fee
No deposit required.
No requirement to use their financing, but they will try to beat whatever I bring from outside.
Offered to buy my current truck today and apply the amount offered to the ordered truck to offset taxes when the new truck comes in.
Quoted 12 - 16 weeks for delivery.
They also do many orders for out of state buyers, so delivery options are available. Not sure what they are since I won't be needing that service.

Contact info:
Ashlie Ryan • aryan@chapmanautogroup.com
Mention that you heard they were quoting 5% under invoice.
Ashlie was very upfront and the whole process was very easy. No games or pushy attitude.

Let me know if you guys want any other details.

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Just got back from Chapman Ram in Horsham, PA. Order finalized and placed with them this morning. Got my POC and VON, should have my VIN on Monday. Here's the scoop:

No deposit required.
No requirement to use their financing, but they will try to beat whatever I bring from outside.
Offered to buy my current truck today and apply the amount offered to the ordered truck to offset taxes when the new truck comes in.
They also do many orders for out of state buyers, so delivery options are available. Not sure what they are since I won't be needing that service.

Contact info:
Ashlie was very upfront and the whole process was very easy. No games or pushy attitude.

Thanks!

adam9936

Reaction score

No deposit required.

Contact info:

This is fantastic, sent her a quote request for my build. Thanks!!

2500Helena

Reaction score
Just got back from Kansas last night In my buddies 2022 F-250 platinum. 13 hours on the road On the way back. On the way up on Wednesday we stopped in Arkansas for fuel and noticed water pouring from the bottom of the radiator. No high temperature warnings or check engine light. Bought several gallon jugs to keep full. Stopped every 75-100 miles to fill. Took around 15 hours to get to Eureka. Got up next morning and hunted with no luck. He called Ford service and they said it would be 2-3 weeks before they could even look at it. He paid over 12k for every extended warranty Ford offered which included replacement truck for extended repairs. Five dealers around did not offer loaner vehicles anymore because of “covid”. I’ve never heard my buddy so pissed on the phone. The last thing he said to them is I’ll just burn the POS! He said F it and we put two bottles of ground pepper in the radiator and it stopped the leaking. The ride not near as good as my 2021 HD 2500. I was glad to finally get back home.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
I almost bought my buddy's 2020 F350 SD Longbed SRW....but the test drive pretty much drove me away. Worst riding truck I've ever been in.
My new 3500 rides WAY better.
Sure liked that Ford horsepower though...that truck MOVED.
Have to agree on this but for a F250… my buddy even has aftermarket tires and the truck still is the worst riding truck ever.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Thanks @franko!! Plan to use them to order a limited 3500.

A little nervous on the timeframe though -- They are estimating 6 months.

Grayson

Reaction score
I never thought any of my Super Duties had harsh ride quality. I wish the my Ram 2500's seat had more up/down travel but its not a big deal. The 21' F-150 however was like a pogo stick in the rear, I believe it is just 2 thicker leafs instead of 4 or 5.

franko

Reaction score
Thanks @franko!! Plan to use them to order a limited 3500.

A little nervous on the timeframe though -- They are estimating 6 months.
Funny thing,
Ashlie emailed me earlier this week that she was informed to tell people ordering that they should expect a 6 month timeline.
2 hours later she emailed me an updated POC informing me that my status changed to D1 with an estimated ship date of 1/9.
I'm not really putting much faith in that date, but it made me laugh with the timing of it all.

AJ BCTD2500

Reaction score
Funny thing,
Ashlie emailed me earlier this week that she was informed to tell people ordering that they should expect a 6 month timeline.
2 hours later she emailed me an updated POC informing me that my status changed to D1 with an estimated ship date of 1/9.
I'm not really putting much faith in that date, but it made me laugh with the timing of it all.
-_-

Guess we'll see....

Users who are viewing this thread