Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade in 4.5 gen for 3rd gen ... am I nuts?

slow roller

Reaction score
Would you guys trade in a perfectly fine 22MY 2500 6.7 SO for a clean low mileage late model year 3rd gen 5.9?

My situation has changed since I bought the '22 and I will no longer be doing long distance towing. Instead I will be making monthly long distance road trips with light hauling and occasionally towing my Jeep. It will not be a daily driver.

tchur1

Reaction score
Ive debated this myself a lot recently. I love the creature comforts that come with my '22 but I also daily drive mine.
If I was in your shoes though and didnt have to daily it, yes I would go to the 3rd gen.

slow roller

Reaction score
Thanks. Honestly my only worry long term with my '22 is emissions stuff, I sort of feel that is a "when" not "if". I know the 3rd gen will need work but it would feel liberating to work on it without worrying about warranty sh-t like I do now.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't daily my truck, generally, and really liked my 05.... I wouldn't personally go back. There are times I miss the 05, it was an awesome truck, and still is, but I like the '22 better.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
DO IT! I have a 2nd gen 5.9, LOVE working on it. I had a early 6.7 and had some issues, so I've been sticking to 6.4 hemis for my daily driver and have the 2nd gen Cummins for everything else.

tchur1

Reaction score
Thanks. Honestly my only worry long term with my '22 is emissions stuff, I sort of feel that is a "when" not "if". I know the 3rd gen will need work but it would feel liberating to work on it without worrying about warranty sh-t like I do now.
Ya I understand that. I love all the technology/luxury that comes in the '22 and dont want to give them up in my daily driver but I worry about the emissions system causing issues at some point. Ill deal with that if it happens.

If I had the luxury of running 2 rigs though a 5.9 as a secondary truck sounds awesome. Easy to work on too.

slow roller

Reaction score
I don't daily my truck, generally, and really liked my 05.... I wouldn't personally go back. There are times I miss the 05, it was an awesome truck, and still is, but I like the '22 better.
Anything in particular against the 05? Ride, creature comforts?

If I do this I’d like to do suspension from Thuren or Carli and something like a seat swap or katzkin to freshen it up a bit.

Firebird

Reaction score
Would you guys trade in a perfectly fine 22MY 2500 6.7 SO for a clean low mileage late model year 3rd gen 5.9?

My situation has changed since I bought the '22 and I will no longer be doing long distance towing. Instead I will be making monthly long distance road trips with light hauling and occasionally towing my Jeep. It will not be a daily driver.
I deeply regret ever selling my 2007 5.9 with 67,000 miles

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything in particular against the 05? Ride, creature comforts?

Noise, ride, back seat room, creature comforts, driver fatigue on long days, load handling, power band, etc. The only things I regularly miss are the low speed exhaust brake with the NV5600 and the manual transfer case…. Both really only while hunting. I’ve even dabbled in researching swapping in a manual shift 44-48.

Again, nothing wrong with the 05. It was a fantastic truck that was/is in great shape and had lots of excellent mods. I’d be very happy if it were still my truck. The ‘22 is just better in nearly every way stock, except cost…oooof.

I’d have just over 200K on the 05 if I had kept it, and around 110K on the rebuild. Probably would have had to do some suspension love, but it already had all the good mods.

The emissions is a concern, but I feel it’s outweighed by the other benefits and I do have a 8 year 125K mile warranty for the rest of it.

CTF2019

Reaction score
You are insane.

I’ve been back and forth and if you spend a lot of time driving your truck you will kick yourself in the ass going to a 5.9. 3rd gen chassis, suspension, and body is really just crap in comparison to new trucks.

Recently had 4th gen then back to 3rd and now up to 4.5. Don’t regret at all and my 3rd gen was really amazing. 4.5 gen comfort still blew it away.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
Like a lot have already said. I don't miss my older 2nd Gens that much anymore. Too many creature comforts that I prefer with the new generation - more room, quieter, better electronics (CarPlay etc). I did enjoy my older Rams but they had way too many issues - 47re, VP44 etc....

BikePilot

Reaction score
Another option could be a 4th gen. Bank some cash but retain 90% of the comforts of the 4.5 gen and simplify a little.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My opinion, depends on just how nice the 3rd gen is. I bought a brand new 06 back then and LOVED that truck. I disagree on the above comments on the power band -- it was one of the most powerful "feeling" cummins trucks ive owned. Instant power right off the throttle.

I adore my '21 and currently would not trade for a NICE 3rd gen -- but if I was in a financial pickle, or didn't need the full capability of my '21 Id have absolutely no issues going back to a 3rd gen 5.9.

I still drive my 2nd gen '99 every week and yes -- definitely a different vehicle than my '21 but still a VERY capable hauler.

Enve46

Reaction score
I did that but went to a 2013 G56 laramie Mega Cab truck, which Im now selling. I dont need a diesel anymore so moving to a 2019+ Power Wagon. Personally love 3rd gens but the 4th gens have enough creature comforts to keep my happy.

slow roller

Reaction score
Just thought I would update this thread and confirm that I did indeed trade in my '22 for a very clean stock 2007 5.9 with only 72,000 miles. It's an Arizona truck so zero rust. It does have a few dents on the body to repair but mechanically its super solid. Motor runs great and the ride is a little stiff but still better than expected. Interior is just about mint condition. I will be doing all the fluids and filters just to reset the clock but the truck needs zero work for a daily driver.

So far I am super happy that I went this direction. Especially since I just read the Cummins news about their settlement with the government over emissions defeat devices.

Firebird

Reaction score
Just thought I would update this thread and confirm that I did indeed trade in my '22 for a very clean stock 2007 5.9 with only 72,000 miles. It's an Arizona truck so zero rust. It does have a few dents on the body to repair but mechanically its super solid. Motor runs great and the ride is a little stiff but still better than expected. Interior is just about mint condition. I will be doing all the fluids and filters just to reset the clock but the truck needs zero work for a daily driver.

So far I am super happy that I went this direction. Especially since I just read the Cummins news about their settlement with the government over emissions defeat devices.
Congratulations!! I would gladly take my 2007 5.9 back

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Right on. I see rust as the major downfall of going back in time, but you’re good there. I’m trying to buy a rust free 92 first gen off of a neighbour. Best thing is it comes with a communist government blocking tin foil hat! Suck that EPA

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Pictures!!!

Users who are viewing this thread