Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traction Control

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
What does the traction control button turn off? I am in a 2022 6.4 2500 with the anti-spin rear axel. In my Tundra, there were levels of traction control that took multiple pushes and sequences to turn off all the nannies. Does the Ram require the same thing? Also, does the rear end require an additive like the positive traction rear ends did back in the day?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes you need LSD friction modifier. The traction control button turns off the traction control only untill your wheel speed hits a certain limit to turn it all off you have to pull a fuse build a relay setup to switch off the system

@John Jensen this is his setup he used

Attachments

• 84623826-F622-4003-82A2-9EC857A03AB1.png
    84623826-F622-4003-82A2-9EC857A03AB1.png
    1 MB · Views: 58

superjoe83

Reaction score
Turning off TC will allow wheelspin but it does not disable stability control, so if the rear end steps out much at all it will reduce engine power

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to disabling Trailer Sway Control, the ESC off button has two modes. Partial off and full off. Partial off disables traction control and full off disabled traction control and stability control.

Single press of the button is partial off and full off is obtained by holding the button for 5 seconds but only works in 4wd. In 2wd you cannot disable ESC.

BLD (brake limited-slip diff) may work in all modes.

The owners manual also talks about the different modes.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I will say the traction control in these trucks is never really "off" in stock form and when you really need it to be off it can be quite annoying. We were up in the mountains in the snow last winter on some logging roads - started up a steep hill and one of my buddies couldn't get past a certain spot and slid back into another buddy behind him. I stopped and we eventually got them both turned around and back down the hill. I couldn't turn around where I was at so I started backing very slowly (in 4wd and traction control "off") and hit the spot where they got stuck and the truck just started sliding. I threw it in drive and floored it expecting to let the tires dig in and slow me and what happened? Oh yeah! THE TRACTION CONTROL WAS STILL TRYING TO SLOW DOWN THE "SLIPPING" TIRES!!! Luckily even with this I was able to stop the rig before sliding off the edge into the trees and got her turned around. This all happened on my set of studded snow tires too - not like it was on some bald MT garbage.....

I was not happy. I also have an Abel bypass kit going in before this winter to turn all the dummy crap truly off.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I will say the traction control in these trucks is never really "off" in stock form and when you really need it to be off it can be quite annoying. We were up in the mountains in the snow last winter on some logging roads - started up a steep hill and one of my buddies couldn't get past a certain spot and slid back into another buddy behind him. I stopped and we eventually got them both turned around and back down the hill. I couldn't turn around where I was at so I started backing very slowly (in 4wd and traction control "off") and hit the spot where they got stuck and the truck just started sliding. I threw it in drive and floored it expecting to let the tires dig in and slow me and what happened? Oh yeah! THE TRACTION CONTROL WAS STILL TRYING TO SLOW DOWN THE "SLIPPING" TIRES!!! Luckily even with this I was able to stop the rig before sliding off the edge into the trees and got her turned around. This all happened on my set of studded snow tires too - not like it was on some bald MT garbage.....

I was not happy. I also have an Abel bypass kit going in before this winter to turn all the dummy crap truly off.

Was ESC off or just Traction control?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I only have a traction control button. Is that the one you are talking about?

Yes, but just pressing it once only partially disables traction control and ESC stays enabled and likely what you were fighting.

To disable traction control and ESC you need to be in 4wd and hold the ESC Off button for 5 seconds. The dash will indicate traction control and ESC are off.

They both are disabled in 4-Lo.

BLD may still be enabled even with traction control and ESC off.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Yes, but just pressing it once only partially disables traction control and ESC stays enabled and likely what you were fighting.

To disable traction control and ESC you need to be in 4wd and hold the ESC Off button for 5 seconds. The dash will indicate traction control and ESC are off.

They both are disabled in 4-Lo.

BLD may still be enabled even with traction control and ESC off.
You mean my rage may not have been justified??!! Wouldn't be the first time....

Thanks! I'm gonna try it out and see. It would be nice to not have to mess with the factory stuff installing a bypass kit.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
Since my tires are almost done at 14K, I thought maybe I would stop by a Cletus and Cars the next time I am in Florida to finish them off on the burnout pad. I want to give WhiteTrash a run for his money hahahahaha

BikePilot

Reaction score
I don't think the nannies are ever really off in stock form. I installed a relay and switch so I can really turn it all off.

Users who are viewing this thread