Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

g00fy

Reaction score
I installed my jumper yesterday, and my cheap $40 "OEM" Ram Tire pressure sensors came in from ebay. I'm going to pull my trailer tires and take them over to a buddy who has a tire machine, he's gonna break the bead and install them for me probably tomorrow when the weather is better, I'll report back if i get them working probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Also forgot to mention, after installing the jumper and enabling the TIM setting in the BCM everything seems to be working now on the truck and i'm no longer getting the service TTPMS error, i just get the error about the TTPMS not being setup when i scroll over to the trailer menu.

hcooperrn

Reaction score
That's what I was doing. Let them leak for a bit.

I tried several things. Starting at target PSI, starting 10 pounds higher, etc. I timed some and then measured pressure and was usually @5-10 PSI change.

The two sensors I'm working with had been unpaired from the tireminder and it is off.

Just spitballing ideas; how long did you let it bleed off? Maybe instead of 5-10 psi, it needs more time? The screen says it may take up to three minutes to pair after dropping 5psi, maybe if they bleed for 60-90 seconds there might be enough transmission time to catch it? Really wanting this to work for you, selfishly :)

Or, as someone else mentioned, it could be that not all 433mhz are created equal, and it’s a unique signal pattern. That wouldn’t be surprising either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
It's also entirely possible that the TIS is only looking for sensors with a certain ID range corresponding to their own. I wouldn't doubt it honestly.

The reason for the delay when pairing is that the system is hearing any sensor that broadcasts on the correct frequency (and possibly ID) and watching for one to drop 5 psi. For it to see that it needs to see the sensor at one pressure, and then see it again 5psi lower. Most sensors go into a sleep mode when not rotating and only send a pressure out every so often, so it can be waiting for that.

I think I wrote that in a way that makes sense. I haven't had coffee yet.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I had my rebalanced at the same time, $15 per tire at a local tire shop I try to support.

For those trying the tireminders, can you just barely crack them so they start leaking? That would keep some pressure reading in the sensor, wouldn’t it? I don’t know how they work though so just guessing. I have a second trailer and would love to find a cheaper option for it.

Going to try mine this week. TIM should be here Wednesday and Cable should be here today. Going to test it with TireMinder setup first since same frequency. If it doesn’t work, I have the sensors ready to go.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

ViperTower

Reaction score
So if I'm reading this thread correctly, some 2019 trucks might be able to get the tire pressure sensors to show up and work and some 2019 trucks WONT work? What a nightmare.

g00fy

Reaction score
So if I'm reading this thread correctly, some 2019 trucks might be able to get the tire pressure sensors to show up and work and some 2019 trucks WONT work? What a nightmare.

That's not correct, NONE of the 2019's came with TTPMS from the factory, but it can be added to ANY of them with an 8.4" or 12" uconnect with the right parts and software modifications. Also i just thought of it, I don't know if you need the big 7" evic screen in the cluster or not.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just spitballing ideas; how long did you let it bleed off? Maybe instead of 5-10 psi, it needs more time? The screen says it may take up to three minutes to pair after dropping 5psi, maybe if they bleed for 60-90 seconds there might be enough transmission time to catch it? Really wanting this to work for you, selfishly :)

Or, as someone else mentioned, it could be that not all 433mhz are created equal, and it’s a unique signal pattern. That wouldn’t be surprising either.

I tried varying times. I also had one bleed off from 50-30 PSI. I thought I had it when I heard the horn beep twice but it was the setup timing out error.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
My RV tires want me to travel at 115lbs but I don’t only about 92-95lbs. So I plan on inflating them to 115 then slowly bleed them down to the 90-95 and see if it detects the loss in pressures.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

ViperTower

Reaction score
That's not correct, NONE of the 2019's came with TTPMS from the factory, but it can be added to ANY of them with an 8.4" or 12" uconnect with the right parts and software modifications. Also i just thought of it, I don't know if you need the big 7" evic screen in the cluster or not.

Yeah I ordered the sensors, have them in hand. I've got the big uconnect streen, I went into the trailer settings on the screen and trailer brake stuff was there, but not the tire pressure stuff. So I just take it to the dealer for a software update? Thanks!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I ordered the sensors, have them in hand. I've got the big uconnect streen, I went into the trailer settings on the screen and trailer brake stuff was there, but not the tire pressure stuff. So I just take it to the dealer for a software update? Thanks!

You do understand that you have to install three parts in the truck for this?

It's not just a matter of having the tire sensors.

ViperTower

Reaction score

What are the other part numbers? Thanks! If this is too complicated I might just go aftermarket, then can also get tire temps.

Phil T

Reaction score

And have alfaobd and cable

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab HO Cummins 8' Bed 4X4 12" Uconnect

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been posted several times through the thread and initially summarized by @thestuarts here.

Since we can't seem to get the OP or a mod to post the part numbers in the first post, here they are again:

ETA: I have updated the OP (Post #1) to include this information and links

PARTS REQUIRED TO ADD TTPMS to 2019+ RAM HD TRUCKS

TTPMS bumper receiver: 68375990AC (Avg cost ~$70)
TIM headliner module: 68404893AB (Avg cost ~$70)
TIM Pigtail cable: 68412666aa (Avg cost ~$9)
The kit for the TPMS sensors (4) for trailer wheels is 68433188AA (best price I've seen posted not too far back in the thread @ $146)

Most of these parts are currently out of stock everywhere thanks to this thread.

You will need to install the hard parts. @Phil T excellent instructions pdf here.

You will need to have the sales code option enabled by the dealer (unlikely) or use AlphaOBD, an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 reader, and a security bypass cable (KaodTECH recommended) to recode the BCM. There's a giant AlphOBD thread here.

Turning on the TTPMS option in the EVIC thanks to @g00fy : https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/tpms-tis-sensors-for-trailer.232/post-20366

1589229719213.png

For the 2019 trucks, you will need to use the Windows version and select the MY2020 under advanced - also thanks to @g00fy

He also suggested enabling "P/T chassis net: TTPM" Which I also did. Unsure if this matters but it didn't cause any problems I'm aware of. The TTPMS setup docs may indicate that this is necessary:
"The TTPM sends the information to the TIM via the Controller Area Network-Chassis (CAN-C) to be transmitted to the IPC."

@1FastHemi excellent post on adding the wheel sensors: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/tpms-tis-sensors-for-trailer.232/page-23#post-22471

Last edited:

ViperTower

Reaction score
It's been posted several times through the thread.

Since we can't seem to get the OP or a mod to post the part numbers in the first post, here they are again:

PARTS REQUIRED TO ADD TTPMS to 2019+ RAM HD TRUCKS

TTPMS bumper receiver: 68375990AC (Avg cost ~$70)
TIM headliner module: 68404893AB (Avg cost ~$70)
TIM Pigtail cable: 68412666aa (Avg cost ~$9)
The kit for the TPMS sensors (4) for trailer wheels is 68433188AA (best price I've seen posted not too far back in the thread @ $146)

Most of these parts are currently out of stock everywhere thanks to this thread.

You will need to have the sales code option enabled by the dealer or use AlphaOBD and a security bypass cable (KaodTECH recommended) to recode the BCM.

ETA: I'll go dredge up the other links to @Phil T hardware install doc, and the posts about the EVIC changes and put them here to try to get everything in one place for reference. We can then save this post and use it for the ;tldr

Ok, you're awesome dude! This thread is HUGE and getting hard for people to find everything in one post. So you think if I take all these parts to the Ram dealer, they'll have no problems getting the software to work?

Phil T

Reaction score
Ok, you're awesome dude! This thread is HUGE and getting hard for people to find everything in one post. So you think if I take all these parts to the Ram dealer, they'll have no problems getting the software to work?
You better not go to the dealer. This is a gorilla operation.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Like Phil T said, don’t have the dealer do it. There’s a good chance the sales code is not even available to add with the WiTech. Just do it with AlfaOBD.

g00fy

Reaction score
It seems the ttpms is very picky about it's sensors, it wouldn't pair with my ebay sensors, and it wouldn't pair with the sensors in my winter tires that I know work fine.

Phil T

Reaction score
But the ebay ones were mopar from china, right? Empty shells.

g00fy

Reaction score
But the ebay ones were mopar from china, right? Empty shells.

Yes, but so are the sensors in my winter tires, but the ones in my winter tires worked fine with the truck just last month.

Users who are viewing this thread