Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS issue @ 1000 miles?

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 Dually and yesterday it showed my right front tire was flat? I was driving along the highway and not having any trouble so I know it had to be sensor. I got home and checked air pressure and it was 79.4. I popped it up to 80 in hopes that the little bit of air might fix the problem. No luck. Jumped into it this morning and it still shows the right front in red and being flat. Has anyone had these issues with a brand new truck? I know things go bad, I happen to work for FCA so i'm well aware of how they are built but I was just wondering if anyone else had the issue? Maybe we got a bad batch of sensors?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Not using approved nitrogen? Using regular non dealer parts may(nonapprove air compressor) may cause warranty to be voided.

Could also just be a bad install.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Im guessing just a bad sensor, I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem. I seem to remember reading about TPMS problems but i couldn't find anything. I did use FCA air to fill it so I should be ok with warranty. ;)

Squatch

Reaction score
Swap tires left to right on the front, see if the flat tire goes to the other side after it picks up the sensors, then you know if it is the sensor or not.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a bad sensor, probably got kicked around the shop floor, it happens.

RedRam

Reaction score
I had a right rear sensor stop working at 2200 miles. will be replacing it tomorrow. 2020 2500

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The typical sensors are actually the valve stem itself, and at the base a little watch type battery. Battery might have crapped out or got a bad one from the factory. Crap part is you gotta take the tire off the wheel to change it.

.tire pressure sensor norwalk ca.jpg

DP3500

Reaction score
My 2020 3500 had 3 sensors crap out at 500 miles...

DP3500

Reaction score
How easy are these to replace on your own? Dealer is being a huge pain in the rear about them.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
They should do them! My dealer said no problem and if they keep failing I am going to request doing them all. The tire has to come off the rim and then they need rebalanced.

Mykwong

Reaction score
I had the Pass rear side sensor fail @ 1500 miles. It's going in tomorrow to be replaced.

willard

Reaction score
My dealer is telling me these are on back order and their must have been a bad batch at the factory as I have 2 or 3 out depending on the hour.

Mykwong

Reaction score
Interesting the dealer is saying the the TTPMS hub in the headliner maybe/is causing the interference with the trucks tpms sensors, WTF? What's up with that.
They were able to get the sensor to initialize, however the other side went out. Then said, it also maybe the remote on the Powertrax tonneau cover causing interference.
So they are still looking.

tjsadler

Reaction score
Add me to the list. I just got my new truck and am loving it overall but with ~800 miles the "Service TPMS System" flashed on my dash and it showed no right front tire reading. Took to dealer and they have to order the part which I find ridiculous. Now this morning ~250 miles later the left rear did the same thing. There must be a large defective batch of these things. I've never had one fail in any other car.

Mykwong

Reaction score
Follow-up on the repair of my TPMS system that seems to have resolved the issue. After replacing the tire sensor another one went out. The dealership did some more digging and had a Star message out to FCA for their assistance. They suggested the RF Hub that reads the sensors was bad. FCA recommended they replace it. 500 miles later it's still solid.

Last edited:

willard

Reaction score
There must be a large defective batch of these things.
This is exactly what I dealer said to me.
I currently have right rear out and had left front and rear out when I bought it. Both the left side magically started to work. No idea why.

tjsadler

Reaction score
Or, based on Mykwong's experience maybe there's a batch of bad control units. Either way it's pretty lame to have to deal with on a brand new truck with this kind of price tag. Plus the dealers are backordered on sensors? Really? That seems like a basic stock part for a place that sells tires. They're also not operating shuttles or offering pick ups due to Covid so I have to drop it off across town, wait for them to diagnose, then pick it up and do it all over again when the parts come in. We're not off to a great start here, FCA.

Users who are viewing this thread